Extremely frustrating

Search This thread

marcmy

Mar 28, 2011
Little by little, Android is becoming iOS. Starting to get very annoyed with the limitations in recent updates. First we get permalocked if we accepted 4.3 OTA update. Now I found out in 4.4, Google has prevented write access to external storage?! And there's no way around it without root? SIGH. Not not only can I not root my phone, but I can't even write to my SD card without plugging it into my PC? What's next, take away our widgets and ability to change launcher/interface? What happened to the old philosophy of Android? It's OUR devices and we should be able to do what we damn well please with them.

Last edited:

b0nz

May 28, 2013
I and many others share your frustration!!:cool:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Little by little, Android is becoming iOS. Starting to get very annoyed with the limitations in recent updates. First we get permalocked if we accepted 4.3 OTA update. Now I found out in 4.4, Google has prevented write access to external storage?! And there's no way around it without root? SIGH. Not not only can I not root my phone, but I can't even write to my SD card without plugging it into my PC? What's next, take away our widgets and ability to change launcher/interface? What happened to the old philosophy of Android? It's OUR devices and we should be able to do what we damn well please with them.

Knox is next. Google said to be incorporating it in future builds..so yep..not getting any better
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...3FO0wvajJ7L3D-6hA&sig2=3IczElKZJpQmtsgc-jIawg
Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mrraya

Dec 12, 2012
ya and with 4.4 theres this icon of a shield that pops up daily for security updates i dont want them dont want anything else

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

what we need is a way to erase everything off the phone bootloader included and start fresh

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
ya and with 4.4 theres this icon of a shield that pops up daily for security updates i dont want them dont want anything else

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

what we need is a way to erase everything off the phone bootloader included and start fresh

That's not good enough. Sure for devices like the Note 2 it would allow a locked phone to become unlocked at any time. But what about devices that never got unlocked like the Note 3 and other future devices? This doesn't resolve their situations.

Also, yes I agree with you OP. I refuse to "upgrade" from this phone to anything else any time soon considering the way these phones are turning into locked up garbage. I'm so grateful for all the work modders and hackers managed to do with this device which allows me to run something as amazing as Cyanogenmod 11 right now. I saw what the stock 4.3+ ROM's look like, yuck. Imagining being stuck with that "forever" is like a nightmare only I'm awake.

Anyways there really is no better alternative to Android at the moment or foreseeable future. If you want a smartphone with even a hint of customizability then Android's your only option.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
You are not seeing the big picture. If you want phones that you can hack away at and are not secure there are plenty out there. Verizon and AT&T teaming up with Samsung have gone after large military and commercial contracts with these phones. Therefore they have made efforts to make them as secure as possible. You can thank all the hackers in the world pulling email and banking information off your phones for that. And you probably can throw in thanks for the locked bootloader to all those that returned their bricked phones under warranty.
As I said, you have choices, Nexus, HTC, developer's editions....etc. You just need to do a little research before buying.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Agreed for many of the UI changes. But I understand. They have to appeal to Ma and Pa Kettle.

Hopefully at some point they will embrace custom ROMs with a special model like Linkysy did with their L model. But I'm guessing not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

WhiteEVO

Jul 19, 2010
You are not seeing the big picture. If you want phones that you can hack away at and are not secure there are plenty out there. Verizon and AT&T teaming up with Samsung have gone after large military and commercial contracts with these phones. Therefore they have made efforts to make them as secure as possible. You can thank all the hackers in the world pulling email and banking information off your phones for that. And you probably can throw in thanks for the locked bootloader to all those that returned their bricked phones under warranty.
As I said, you have choices, Nexus, HTC, developer's editions....etc. You just need to do a little research before buying.

Well said! This is why I'm leaving smasung and will be researching a diff phone for my next purchase/upgrade. LG G3 or HTC...not sure yet...

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Well said! This is why I'm leaving smasung and will be researching a diff phone for my next purchase/upgrade. LG G3 or HTC...not sure yet...

I went to the HTC M8 and I hated HTC..it is a freaking fast phone!!! Unlocking and rooting was super easy! Won't have to worry about Knox until they upgrade it to L.

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
I went to the HTC M8 and I hated HTC..it is a freaking fast phone!!! Unlocking and rooting was super easy! Won't have to worry about Knox until they upgrade it to L.

Loved the look of that phone and I am not a HTC fan, but that phone looked good.. Contract is not up until next year and I think a move to a different carrier and phone manufacturer is in my future.. Just not sure what yet:rolleyes:

WhiteEVO

Jul 19, 2010
Loved the look of that phone and I am not a HTC fan, but that phone looked good.. Contract is not up until next year and I think a move to a different carrier and phone manufacturer is in my future.. Just not sure what yet:rolleyes:

I always liked the sense interface compared to TW, I've got till Jan, then I'm making a change. keep us posted on your choice L18, would love to run your ROMs! ;)

Reactions: lacoursiere18

tomnj1961

Dec 5, 2013

A fix is in the works.

Reactions: mrraya

MaxBuck

Aug 16, 2011
None of the alternatives have the S-pen or any analogous stylus, which I regard as essential.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I always liked the sense interface compared to TW, I've got till Jan, then I'm making a change. keep us posted on your choice L18, would love to run your ROMs! ;)

A fix is in the works.