[ROOT]Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
I was having BlueStack installed and Android SDK installed on my PC .So i have to install both and But have some questions
Would this work without the ANDROID SDK or Should I install it newly ?
When I connected my Kindle to PC the device drivers shows like a Portable device (Image Attached) .So is this thing good or Is there any other drivers for Kindle fire 8.9" other than the amazon given drivers ?

Cupidhunters,

If you use Eclipse like we do, you do not need the SDK. The Android SDK Stands for Software Development Kit, so if you are not building applications (like we do for a living), the SDK is pure wasted space. The only two parts of the SDK that is used by the end user is:

1) adb (Android Debug Bridge)
2) fastboot (Utility used to flash software to the Kindle)

The above applications total about 0.9104MB and the entire SDK is about 411MB - having said this, the end user is wasting almost 410MB of precious drive space. Remember, to keep the PC running smooth, the best practice is to remove the programs that you do not use.

Most of the utilities you will use on your Tablet are already packaged with adb and fastboot, so in the end the Android SDK becomes a problem rather than an asset.

So what do we recommend for you:

1. Remove or Disable the SDK
a) Disable - Navigate to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools - rename platform-tools to platform-tools-temp
b) Remove - Go into Microsoft Windows Add/Remove Programs - Remove Android SDK

2. Remove BlueStack - into Microsoft Windows Add/Remove Programs - Remove BlueStack (you can reinstall latter)

Also, you have issues with the driver OR you do not have ADB Enabled on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" - go into More+ Device, Turn On 'Allow Installation of Applications. Then go into More+ Security, Turn On 'Enable ADB'. If all this is OK, then you need to reinstall the Kindle Fire Driver, we have install notes on this page - Section A:

[ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version

Reactions: txdyd

Cupidhunters

Jul 25, 2012
Cupidhunters,

If you use Eclipse like we do, you do not need the SDK. The Android SDK Stands for Software Development Kit, so if you are not building applications (like we do for a living), the SDK is pure wasted space. The only two parts of the SDK that is used by the end user is:

1) adb (Android Debug Bridge)
2) fastboot (Utility used to flash software to the Kindle)

The above applications total about 0.9104MB and the entire SDK is about 411MB - having said this, the end user is wasting almost 410MB of precious drive space. Remember, to keep the PC running smooth, the best practice is to remove the programs that you do not use.

Most of the utilities you will use on your Tablet are already packaged with adb and fastboot, so in the end the Android SDK becomes a problem rather than an asset.

So what do we recommend for you:

1. Remove or Disable the SDK
a) Disable - Navigate to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools - rename platform-tools to platform-tools-temp
b) Remove - Go into Microsoft Windows Add/Remove Programs - Remove Android SDK

2. Remove BlueStack - into Microsoft Windows Add/Remove Programs - Remove BlueStack (you can reinstall latter)

Also, you have issues with the driver OR you do not have ADB Enabled on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" - go into More+ Device, Turn On 'Allow Installation of Applications. Then go into More+ Security, Turn On 'Enable ADB'. If all this is OK, then you need to reinstall the Kindle Fire Driver, we have install notes on this page - Section A:

[ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version

Thanks for this I unistalled all my SDK and Bluestack and Updated my SDK from Amazon site (https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/setup.html#step4) So all worked fine now .When using Bin4ry Tutorial and everything worked fine .
Thanks for concern guys really appretiated

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
[HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version

Thanks for this I unistalled all my SDK and Bluestack and Updated my SDK from Amazon site (https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/setup.html#step4) So all worked fine now .When using Bin4ry Tutorial and everything worked fine .
Thanks for concern guys really appretiated

Cupidhunters,

Thank you for taking the time to post an update. We were wondering if you were able to get your Kindle Fire HD 8.9" done. Congrats! Good work Cupidhunters!

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide - 4.1.43-Beta - Dated 02/19/2013 at 22:15

thank you. i did this and now i cannot download e-books. how can i fix that?

Shuhrat,

Rooting should have no effect on the E-Books, maybe you use Option 2 in Root Many Android? If yes, this may have removed some of the packages, please download Kindle Fire First Aide and use Option 31 to fix permissions and anomalies in the Android OS.

Worse case, you can use our software to restore the lost items.

Be sure to follow the setup instructions found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Software Version 4.1.43-Beta The RunMe is Dated 02/19/2013 at 22:15:

Microsoft Windows Kindle Fire First Aide Universal Version 4.1.43-Beta: KFFirstAide.zip

Microsoft Windows Kindle Fire First Aide 32-bit Version 4.1.43-Beta: KFFirstAide32.zip

Microsoft Windows Kindle Fire First Aide 64-bit Version 4.1.43-Beta: KFFirstAide64.zip

Please unzip the above packages to C:\KFFirstAide make sure the RunMe.bat is Dated 02/19/2013 at 22:15. Before running the software, make sure you do not have another folder inside C:\KFFirstAide named KFFirstAide32, KFFirstAide64 or KFFirstAide. After you Unzip the software you should only have one folder named C:\KFFirstAide, this is critical to proper operation.

Make sure you have a Environment Variable in the Microsoft Windows PATH Statement of C:\KFFirstAide otherwise you will see many 'unable to find ???package???.apk' messages.

Finally, make sure you are running the latests version of Java SE Development Kit 7u13

Reactions: dwcasey

lordmuggins

Oct 18, 2010
Can this post either be locked or moved to the relevant section? This is for KFHD 7 *not* 8.9. Please, lets stop the disorder on the board.

txdyd

Feb 14, 2013
upper bar was gone after rooted, how to solve it?

Cupidhunters,

Thank you for taking the time to post an update. We were wondering if you were able to get your Kindle Fire HD 8.9" done. Congrats! Good work Cupidhunters!
Dear prokennexusa,
I rooted my kindle 8.9 with Bin4ry v18, I selected method 1 and supersu was installed and taking into effect now.
however, now I met strange question: when pull down, the upper bar cannot show up as the machine unrooted before. only in around 10 seconds when kindle is rebooted quickly, the upper bar be available .
I searched everywhere and looked through this thread, while it seems no other guys have the same matter as me.
Could you help to handle it? thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cbellk

Jan 17, 2013
So here's my problem. I tried to use the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18, but got errors when it had you type in the ch mod steps in the kindle shell, and although I had the super user apk, it wasn't really rooted. I then tried Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17, and that did not work either. After that I noticed that my kindle has been running slow, and is glitchy when I open some apps. I then opened Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 again and tried to unroot it, but it said that it wasn't rooted. I have no idea what to do now. Honestly, I don't really care a whole lot if it's rooted or not as long as it's not so slow, and runs like it did when I first opened it, lol. Please help.

Link3737

Jul 25, 2010
Users should be warned that UnlockRoot installs several pieces of adware/malware by default if you don't go through tons of hoops to uncheck them in the installer (And it tells you it won't install unless you pick them).

When you go to uninstall the bundled adware/malware, it installs further malware through the uninstaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Users should be warned that UnlockRoot installs several pieces of adware/malware by default if you don't go through tons of hoops to uncheck them in the installer (And it tells you it won't install unless you pick them).

When you go to uninstall the bundled adware/malware, it installs further malware through the uninstaller.
Thanks for the heads up! Can you provide details on the process names/file names so I can check my Kindle to verify I don't have them. I used this method to root a couple months back so I don't remember if I had those extra installer screens you're referring to (though I don't see anything unusual running in Android Tuner's Task Manager). Thanks!

Regarding the malware/adware thing, and I'm not sure if it's related or just coincidence.

But just today I got an email from Skype that my account was suspended due to suspected fraudulent activity. On going through the relevant channels with Skype customer support, I come to find out that account has been hacked and my available credit of a little over $9 all used up. I haven't launched Skype on my PC in ages and only just installed it on my tablet shortly after rooting.

Related? Hmmm I'm not sure really, but it did get me thinking back about the message posted here a few days ago about the malware included in this rooting method. I'm sure someone else would've discovered it by now if it were really true, right?

macbranson

Jan 28, 2013
Can't root

For some reason, I can't root my KFHD 8.9. I installed the drivers and it shows up on the Device Manager. I've updated Java. I've downloaded the drivers. I downloaded Bin4ry's Root file. Then I click "runme" as Administrator. I click 2 and then 1, then the prompts come up, but when i get prompted to hit "restore my date", it never shows up on my screen. What is going wrong here?

Kahiau4life

Feb 19, 2013
Post Root Problem

I've just finished using the "Kindle Fire HD and 2 Universal Recovery Tool Version 3.1.76-Beta. I used #39, Install Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.3.3.0. Everything seemed to load fine all the way through. At the very end it was completing the last of the rooting and was on the last reboot. Now, the "Kindlefire" is the only thing that comes up. What does this indicate? What are the steps to rooting from here? Thank you in advance!

hoopstar56

Feb 28, 2013
same here

For some reason, I can't root my KFHD 8.9. I installed the drivers and it shows up on the Device Manager. I've updated Java. I've downloaded the drivers. I downloaded Bin4ry's Root file. Then I click "runme" as Administrator. I click 2 and then 1, then the prompts come up, but when i get prompted to hit "restore my date", it never shows up on my screen. What is going wrong here?

Im having the same problem, my kindle just stops at the Tablet S mode enabled. I am extremely confused on how to do this, ive rooted anroid phones no problem and i just cant seem to get this to work.....

Kahiau4life

Feb 19, 2013
Post Root Problem - Continued

I've just finished using the "Kindle Fire HD and 2 Universal Recovery Tool Version 3.1.76-Beta. I used #39, Install Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.3.3.0. Everything seemed to load fine all the way through. At the very end it was completing the last of the rooting and was on the last reboot. Now, the "Kindlefire" is the only thing that comes up. What does this indicate? What are the steps to rooting from here? Thank you in advance!

I meant to also add that it is no longer recognized in the device manager but the drivers are still loaded on my pc. Any help is appreciated.

Kahiau4life

Feb 19, 2013
Post Root Problem - Continued more

I meant to also add that it is no longer recognized in the device manager but the drivers are still loaded on my pc. Any help is appreciated.

I just rebooted my pc while my KFHD 8.9 was off and monitored the device manager. I noticed the KFHD did pop up in the device manager for a few seconds then it vanished just as the "Kindlefire" popped up on the KFHD 8.9 screen.

gtithaine

Mar 11, 2013
advice please

I read somewhere that if I root my kindle that I will not be able to use Bluetooth and lose the use of my SIM. I need SIM access so I can browse the web at work.
Could anyone tell me if there is any truth to this?

Thanks in advance

ZilverZurfarn

Feb 11, 2009
Göteborg
At least re Bluetooth, your info is wrong. As long as you just root (and don't install another Rom) all functionality is as before, but you are free to use other launchers,install Google stuff et cetera. Re SIM, I can't tell, as I don't have the 4G version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.
    Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
    I just spoke with Bin4ry, and he agreed that rewriting his script to work specifically for the KFHDs would be a good idea (get rid of errors, make it work the first time, etc). I'm working on it now and I'll post a new version as soon as it works the way it should. I've already identified the problems with the Unix script and it will be a breeze to fix but it may take me a minute to port it to Windows because I am still very new to the Windows batch scripting. If anyone has experience with batch scripting and would like to help or share some knowledge, that would be pretty awesome (if not, I'll figure it out...shouldn't be that hard).

I have an HD 8.9 so if anyone has had any success rooting the 7" tablets using Bin4ry's method, let me know and I will post accordingly. I think it would be nice to have one root method to work for all 2nd generation devices.
    I have the kindle fire hd 8.9 and I rooted it already and Super SU is already on kindle but I have no idea how to run the google play store etc. I'm super new at this and would absolutely love the help! thank you!!!!
    There's a thread for that:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410
    Thanks in advance! =)

Good day: Since you want to load 2nd boot and then get rid of the Kindle OS, you are all set and do not need to locate the 8.48 freedom boot image. Any freedom boot image will work so the 8.4.6 freedom boot image will work just fine.

First, you need to get root and then the rest is cake with the fireflash11.apk and some files from the Hashcode postings.

My post (Posts: 298) above this post a little ways describes using root with Binary to get root.
    Even though you are having trouble, I am pretty sure, this should work on 8.4.8.
    A week ago, I purposefully upgraded one of my 7" to 7.4.8 and then rooted it using the LINUX version of root with Binary.

I took an 8.9 Kindle Fire and upgraded it to 8.4.8
    I used LINUX to root the tablet and then unrooted the tablet.
    I then connected the tablet to Windows and used root with Binary V31 and rooted the tablet.
    The tablet rooted just fine.

When using Root with binary, you do have to remember to:
    1: Click "do not back up" on the tablet screen when you first kick off the binary root script.
    2: Then you select "continue" on the PC command prompt
    3: Then you click "Restore my tablet" on the tablet screen
    4: Then click 'Continue" a second time on the PC command prompt.
    5: Once the "Do not" and "restore" acknowledgements are made on the tablet, the Binary tool will finish its work and finally give you the "Enjoy" note.
    Even if you missed a step or two, the script will finish and give you the "Enjoy" response so if you do not have root after finishing, it means you missed a step.

I am guessing perhaps you did not notice the two tablet on screen acknowledgements needed to complete the root process?

Let us know how you are doing?
    If all else fails, I can push a pre-rooted system image on Dropbox and you can download it and flash it to your tablet and have root.

Regards