MTK 6589 and MTK 6589T (overclocking possibilities)

Search This thread

Maximus1a

Account currently disabled
Last edited:

voetbalremco

Inactive Recognized Developer
I already posted this in the ''cyanogenmod for mt6589''- topic, but wanted to post it here too:

about the source from Sony, posted above me:

the file is highly compressed, and extracting it gives me a file wich is 2230mb aka 2.2Gb big.

my first thoughts: this is the real thing! :good:

see it yourself here, before your download is ready:
image.png

Mbariah

Nov 23, 2012
Nairobi
OnePlus 7T
I already posted this in the ''cyanogenmod for mt6589''- topic, but wanted to post it here too:

about the source from Sony, posted above me:

the file is highly compressed, and extracting it gives me a file wich is 2230mb aka 2.2Gb big.

my first thoughts: this is the real thing! :good:

see it yourself here, before your download is ready:
image.png

It's complete!!!! finally...confirmed by senior developer varun.chitre on Cyanogenmod for mediatek devices.

Everyone get downloading....u never know..

Fortunately, they are complete. Have downloaded them already.
Sony has been strictly following GPL since long time.

pelelademadera

Account currently disabled
Aug 20, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Why everyone whants overclocking and noone undervolting or something that reduce power?
I like to try. I unnderstand a lot of linux, android is very similar, but i have some things about recovery not clear, so I must wait....

Enviado desde algun lado, con el tapatalk

zriel1

Sep 13, 2013
Wrocław
Hello everyone, We can already enjoy - OPPO has provided source code for the R819 which is in the middle of MT6589 : ""https://github.com/oppo-source/R819-Kernel-Source-4.2"" :D

Edit : i found also full source and documentation for iOcean X7 with MT6589T : ""https://github.com/twnksinr/android_kernel_iocean_mtk6589t""

Last edited:
Reactions: Venael

zriel1

Sep 13, 2013
Wrocław
If this true """w w w.aliexpress.com/item/HK-post-Free-shipping-new-Arrival-1-7G-CPU-4-7inch-quad-core-built-in-16GB/1044059665.h t m l""' OC MTK 6589 is posibble.

gbl08ma

Nov 13, 2009
gbl08ma.com
If this true """w w w.aliexpress.com/item/HK-post-Free-shipping-new-Arrival-1-7G-CPU-4-7inch-quad-core-built-in-16GB/1044059665.h t m l""' OC MTK 6589 is posibble.

Interesting, that is the first MTK 6589 powered phone where I see the frequency range to be fully unlocked, i.e. going up to 1.7 GHz, thus higher than even the "turbo" version of the CPU. Still, the kernel could be using a special
I'm not sure overclocking is possible with every device because for the higher speeds, the CPU also needs a higher voltage setting which I'm not sure all circuit designs are able to deliver.
Also not sure how easy it is to game AnTuTu benchmark about the CPU speed, and these could be screenshots taken on another device as well. However, the highest speed matches with the one seen in the source code. Antutu appears to be confused on at least one thing: as seller admits, the app says the screen is FullHD (1080p) but it is supposed to be only HD-ready (720p). The RAM amount is funny too: I've only seen MTK 6589 setups with either 1 or 2 GB RAM, but never 1.5 GB. I think the RAM is inside the SoC so that means Mediatek is manufacturing MT6589 chips with one and a half GB of RAM?
If someone wants to nag the seller about details on the clock speed and RAM amount, please post the conclusions here...

EDIT: there are more things that don't match in the Antutu screenshots. First, the GPU renderer is shown as some Adreno when it should be a PowerVR. And the GPU vendor is not Qualcomm. I understand this may be an effort to better fake the true HTC device. In the end, the score is lower than that of my perfectly normal MTK6589 phone (about 13200), which has a smaller screen resolution though. Too many strange things if you ask me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was looking at the mt_cpufreq.c file in the leaked kernel source for the MTK 6589 SoC (the one running at 1.2 GHz), at https://github.com/varunchitre15/MT...atek/platform/mt6589/kernel/core/mt_cpufreq.c
    I noticed there were frequency settings above 1209 MHz defined there. The highest one, DVFS_F0_0 goes above 1.7 GHz.

The code that seems to define the maximum frequency starts on line 1573 of that file. It relies on the returned value of PTP_get_ptp_level to define it. Since PTP_get_ptp_level is just a external header on that file, I needed to search the git repo to find its definition. Turns out it is in this file mt_ptp.c. Pay special attention to line 1018 and below: https://github.com/varunchitre15/MT...ek/platform/mt6589/kernel/core/mt_ptp.c#L1018

There's this interesting bit:
    Code:
        #if defined(MTK_FORCE_CPU_89T)
            return 3; // 1.5GHz
        #else
    By returning 3, this function tells the frequency scaling driver that the CPU can go up to a 1.5 GHz clock.

I think I read the 6589T also has a higher GPU clock, and it can handle 2 GB of RAM with no problems. I'm not saying that the difference between the 6589 and the 6589T is just a kernel config, in fact, the chip most likely got a new revision. This source code leaked before there was any talk of a turbo revision of the 6589, so I think it's safe to assume that on newer code trees there may be fixes for the 2 GB of RAM and a higher GPU clock.

But I wonder, if the 6589 (not T) is able to go up to 1.5 GHz or even 1.7 GHz. It would be good if someone could compile that kernel with some modifications to make it think it will be running on a 6589T (adding a #define MTK_FORCE_CPU_89T should be enough) and see if it works fine. Since that source code came from a Acer model, maybe it would be easier to start tests on that device (because we can be sure the source is 100% compatible). I think it may run, but it may heat a lot or it may drive the voltage of the CPU up to a point where the phone's PCB is not prepared to deliver, causing damage (maybe the T revision chip fixes this).
    MT6589 Kernel (Myphone Iceberg)

Here's my compiled kernel :)
    Here is my Complete Kernel Source, maybe someone can compile this to your device, AFAIK, MT65xx platforms are device dependent.
    Github Source : https://github.com/Banjo0917/YONIP_MT6589_KERNEL
    Hi,
    can someone explain how can i build as "USER" ?

Include this before make command: TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=user
    It would be really good if someone who can already compile custom kernels for any MT6589 phone, could make that little modification and check the results - worst case scenario, the chip would get too hot and break forever... but since it seems to have a lot of temperature monitoring in place, I don't think that would happen.

I could do it myself, but I'm not going to download 8 GB of Android source, on my limited home connection, just to apply the MT6589 patches available on GitHub, which probably wouldn't work out-of-the-box since they are for a Acer phone and mine's a Zopo 910.
    Bothering people at Zopo to do it is out of question, since they are interested in selling the Zopo C2 which comes with this "turbo" kernel config.

As for the GPU clock, on this kernel source there doesn't seem to be anything controlling that based on the MTK_FORCE_CPU_89T define. But this may be just because this is an old source tree - the one they have been distributing for their clients more recently, for the 6589T, may already have the changes for the GPU clock.

The ideal situation would be to have a kernel which can allow all the possible CPU and GPU frequencies, and these would be controlled and limited on the userspace.