[Q] Rewarded for my stupidity

Search This thread

xpanmanx

Sep 6, 2010
St. Louis
Greetings, I'm having a cascade failure and I'm not sure what to do next.

I signed with AT&T on Saturday, and took home a new S4 for free. About 30 minutes later it was rooted, and the upgrade from MF3 to MK2 was installing :) I removed some obvious bloatware, patched the mail client to bypass an Exchange server's mobile device management, and began to use TB to restore my apps.

I encountered some odd behavior with a couple of restored apps, and did a factory reset. Then, I decided that I wanted to get the patched mail client off the system, so I reflashed the MK2 update through ADB.

The reflash of MK2 failed because I'd removed chrome.apk . D'oh.

Then I thought I'd flash a stock firmware. I quickly found the MF3 tars in another topic. And because I'm stupid and didn't read the whole topic, my nice new phone is showing an ugly yellow triangle and says, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue." D'oh, d'oh, d'oh.

I'm stopping before I waste any more time or do any more damage (not that I think I can eff things up any more).

Can I fix this at home?

Or should I just take it to the Samsung Experience Shop at the nearby Best Buy store? Will they believe me if I tell them that the MK2 upgrade trashed my phone? The loader says, "Samsung Official," but, also, "custom." Both Knox lines read 0x0. Does any of that matter if they're reflashing as a courtesy?

If they flash MK2, can I get root ..... I'm guessing, no, but probably someone else knows for sure.

Last edited:

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro

I signed with AT&T on Saturday, and took home a new S4 for free. About 30 minutes later it was rooted, and the upgrade from MF3 to MK2 was installing :) I removed some obvious bloatware, patched the mail client to bypass an Exchange server's mobile device management, and began to use TB to restore my apps.

I encountered some odd behavior with a couple of restored apps, and did a factory reset. Then, I decided that I wanted to get the patched mail client off the system, so I reflashed the MK2 update through ADB.

Then I thought I'd flash a stock firmware. I quickly found the MF3 tars in another topic. And because I'm stupid and didn't read the whole topic, my nice new phone is showing an ugly yellow triangle and says, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue." D'oh, d'oh, d'oh.

I'm stopping before I waste any more time or do any more damage (not that I think I can eff things up any more).

Can I fix this at home?

Or should I just take it to the Samsung Experience Shop at the nearby Best Buy store? Will they believe me if I tell them that the MK2 upgrade trashed my phone? The loader says, "Samsung Official," but, also, "custom." Both Knox lines read 0x0. Does any of that matter if they're reflashing as a courtesy?

If they flash MK2, can I get root ..... I'm guessing, no, but probably someone else knows for sure.

I think Best Buy has the update now, but I'm not sure. If you have the unlocked padlock boot screen, they won't take it probably and not if system status is custom in download mode either. There is a chance they'll glance over it, but otherwise you have to follow these instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47586777&postcount=135

You can get root, look in the general section for the safe root thread.

xpanmanx

Sep 6, 2010
St. Louis
Nutty. Following DeadlySin9's advice, I used Odin to flash recovery-mj6.tar.md5 into the bootloader slot, it was successful, the phone rebooted through the Samsung / open padlock screen and came right up into my old MK2 load. I immediately used TA to remove the open padlock and it now shows official/official. In the end I guess I didn't eff things up as badly as I'd thought.

How may I reflash MK2 from here? Being as there's only have an upgrade ROM out there, and we're waiting patiently for the whole ROM, I bet it will choke on the missing chrome.apk and other victims of my bloatware-removal party.

Last edited:

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
Nutty. Following DeadlySin9's advice, I used Odin to flash recovery-mj6.tar.md5 into the bootloader slot, it was successful, the phone rebooted through the Samsung / open padlock screen and came right up into my old MK2 load. I immediately used TA to remove the open padlock and it now shows official/official. In the end I guess I didn't eff things up as badly as I'd thought.

How may I reflash MK2 from here? Being as there's only have an upgrade ROM out there, and we're waiting patiently for the whole ROM, I bet it will choke on the missing chrome.apk and other victims of my bloatware-removal party.

Follow deadly sins guide exactly...except replace the mj9 side load zip with the mk2...

The two emergency files will get everything you need for the phone to pass security checks (adds in missing files and apps) after you Odin the two emergency files Odin the recovery again. Reboot to recovery and it will perform a mini update. When the mini update completes reboot to recovery once more and side load mk2...so:

-Boot to download mode
-Odin emergency tar1 (it will fail that's ok)
-Reboot to download mode
-Odin emergency tar2 (it will fail that's ok)
-Reboot to download mode
-Odin recovery
-Reboot to recovery
-Let it auto update
-Reboot to recovery
-Sideload mk2

After I rooted mk2 I messed up with a mod and was left with a phone missing a system file which resulted in it not booting, I did the above and was able to successfully side load mk2 and was back to stock... :

All credit goes do Deadlysin9

Edit here is the link for the mk2 side load: http://www.mediafire.com/?ktkoogwz562p64k

Found like from this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48363444

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: xpanmanx

xpanmanx

Sep 6, 2010
St. Louis
Follow deadly sins guide exactly

Thanks so much, man.

Things went a little differently, but I let the phone walk me through it. All's well.

For me it went like this ....

-Odin recovery, reboot
-Odin emergency tar1, failed as expected, had to manually reboot
-Odin emergency tar2, failed as expected, had to manually reboot
-Let it boot to the pulsating blue LED, manually reboot
-Odin recovery, it automatically rebooted and applied updates and rebooted to pulsating blue LED
-Manual reboot to recovery, sideload mk2, reboot
-Blow through the initial setup
-Regain root with this procedure
-Drink beer

Last edited:
Reactions: mg2195

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Can I fix this at home?

I think Best Buy has the update now, but I'm not sure. If you have the unlocked padlock boot screen, they won't take it probably and not if system status is custom in download mode either. There is a chance they'll glance over it, but otherwise you have to follow these instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47586777&postcount=135

You can get root, look in the general section for the safe root thread.
    Deleted, why?

This post in your quoted topic makes it look like a viable option....

ETA: Ok, I get it. DeadlySin9 post has a link that drops you right onto the procedure.

Follow deadly sins guide exactly...except replace the mj9 side load zip with the mk2...

The two emergency files will get everything you need for the phone to pass security checks (adds in missing files and apps) after you Odin the two emergency files Odin the recovery again. Reboot to recovery and it will perform a mini update. When the mini update completes reboot to recovery once more and side load mk2...so:

-Boot to download mode
    -Odin emergency tar1 (it will fail that's ok)
    -Reboot to download mode
    -Odin emergency tar2 (it will fail that's ok)
    -Reboot to download mode
    -Odin recovery
    -Reboot to recovery
    -Let it auto update
    -Reboot to recovery
    -Sideload mk2

After I rooted mk2 I messed up with a mod and was left with a phone missing a system file which resulted in it not booting, I did the above and was able to successfully side load mk2 and was back to stock... :

All credit goes do Deadlysin9

Edit here is the link for the mk2 side load: http://www.mediafire.com/?ktkoogwz562p64k

Found like from this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48363444

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Follow deadly sins guide exactly

Thanks so much, man.

Things went a little differently, but I let the phone walk me through it. All's well.

For me it went like this ....

-Odin recovery, reboot
    -Odin emergency tar1, failed as expected, had to manually reboot
    -Odin emergency tar2, failed as expected, had to manually reboot
    -Let it boot to the pulsating blue LED, manually reboot
    -Odin recovery, it automatically rebooted and applied updates and rebooted to pulsating blue LED
    -Manual reboot to recovery, sideload mk2, reboot
    -Blow through the initial setup
    -Regain root with this procedure
    -Drink beer