Fully Bricked Galaxy Nexus! HELP!

Search This thread
Apr 9, 2011
Okay so my friend bricked his galaxy nexus (Gave it to me because he said its bricked) of course i accepted it lol. But i tried to fix it i did everything i could from reading forums i swear i have worked forever looking for a fix. It is completely unresponsive no download mode. no ADB connection because when it plugs into a computer it shows up as OMAP 4440 or something like that. i have tried all kinds of different drivers and i have tried on multiple computers (Xp, Windows7, even a mac) he said he was flashing the sdcard or something and unplugged it by accident. So i could understand that being a issue since the phone only has a internal sd card. Anyone know how to get it back? i havent seen a Jtag yet for it and i have a Jig for my Galaxy Sii Skyrocket but it doesnt work on the nexus (FYI to anyone out there the jig works on my dads samsung windows phone) HELP!

Apr 9, 2011
You tried different drivers? You should just use the most current ones for the phone. Did you try the new toolkit mskip posted? Did you isntall the SDK?

Thanks for the response i didnt use mskips i dont think. i have tried the galaxy nexus toolkit 6.0 or whatever but i have tried all kinds of drivers including the google official galaxy nexus i515 or something like that. it shows up as omap 4440 in app manager and disconnects and connects constantly then says device didnt install properly. what do you mean by the sdk? i cant find any way to access my phone. i think i tried something with sdk but im not sure

Apr 9, 2011
Yes i read up i did do that GNex Toolkit v6.0 and it wouldnt find my phone (Because of the omap 4440 disconnect and reconnect thing i believe.

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010
First off, on't use a toolkit.

Second, when you plug it in, go to device manager, right click the "OMAP 4460" and click install driver. Either install PDANet or find the driver online and your phone should be able to be used in fastboot.

Finally, if your (Or your friends) phone was "Fully Bricked" it wouldn't be recognized by the computer, it wouldn't turn on, it would literally not be able to do anything except sit there, the fact that the computer sees it means that it is "Soft Bricked" which is much less serious.

Apr 9, 2011

Second, when you plug it in, go to device manager, right click the "OMAP 4460" and click install driver. Either install PDANet or find the driver online and your phone should be able to be used in fastboot.

Finally, if your (Or your friends) phone was "Fully Bricked" it wouldn't be recognized by the computer, it wouldn't turn on, it would literally not be able to do anything except sit there, the fact that the computer sees it means that it is "Soft Bricked" which is much less serious.

i appreciate it but when i install the driver which one should i select? it is the Verizon LTE one and i have tried manually choosing the driver but there is so many. What one should i choose?

Apr 9, 2011
I cant get into android neither thats the problem... it is unresponsive except for the fact that it says omap 4440 over and over. im gonna play with it more when i get home but im currently in school. LOL

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010
Install PDANet and when it asks for your phone, go into Task Manager and force close the process. This will keep the driver/program installed without needing your phone and it should then be seen in recovery.

samiaziz

Apr 6, 2012
Please Help!

My phone goes into boot loader and download mode however every time I flash Stock it finishes successfully and goes to the same google screen its always stuck on. I'm kinda a n00b so if anyone could help me with this (try to have a lot of detail) I would be grateful. Thanks :)

Dacian

Dec 20, 2007
It sounds like what I did to my Galaxy Note before I bought my Nexus. When unrooting I overwrote my bootloader with a missed character through ADB. I tried everything, naked drivers, ODIN, all it would come up with was OMAP on the PC. I ended up having to return it to AT&T. Ask him if he was trying to root it the old way through ADB.

My phone goes into boot loader and download mode however every time I flash Stock it finishes successfully and goes to the same google screen its always stuck on. I'm kinda a n00b so if anyone could help me with this (try to have a lot of detail) I would be grateful. Thanks :)

samiaziz, make sure you're wiping everything before flashing a stock rom. It wouldn't hurt to wipe system, cache and dalvik and then restart recovery (in advanced menu) and wipe again before flashing the stock rom.

Last edited:

Beatsleigher

Ok, as long as it shows up, it's still working :)

OMAP440 is the processor, which means, that is is working, but the bootloader is corrupt, or missing. I'd say it's corrupt (Flash-error)

The best way I've found, check this website: http://www.mobiletechvideos.com and see if they have a JTAG solution... (My JTAG device will arrive in a few weeks ;) )

Even if they don't, send it in, and they'll figure out a way to do that :) I think they do some special offer, if you send it in for testing purposes...

But, other than that, there's no way I can help you. The firmware is completely fu**ed...

samiaziz

Apr 6, 2012
Tried That

I have already tried getting into recovery but that dosnt work. it takes me to the google splash screen

Naezor

Aug 10, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Instead of JTAG-ing it, you could always try this. The maker of the Riffbox JTAG has come out with a solution for unbricking by reflashing the OMAP processor.. Aptly named OMAPFlash.

I've used it with success several times, but also had it fail on me. It can't hurt though, if your phone is already bricked.

If it's coming up with OMAP4460 (even briefly) when the phone is plugged into your computer without a battery, you are able to run the program. You just need to install the drivers for it.

See http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f634/unbrick-dead-samsung-gt-i9250-galaxy-nexus-32gb-prime-via-usb-cable-freeeeeeeeeeee-1465412/ for download.

Lemme know if you need instructions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instead of JTAG-ing it, you could always try this. The maker of the Riffbox JTAG has come out with a solution for unbricking by reflashing the OMAP processor.. Aptly named OMAPFlash.

I've used it with success several times, but also had it fail on me. It can't hurt though, if your phone is already bricked.

If it's coming up with OMAP4460 (even briefly) when the phone is plugged into your computer without a battery, you are able to run the program. You just need to install the drivers for it.

See http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f634/unbrick-dead-samsung-gt-i9250-galaxy-nexus-32gb-prime-via-usb-cable-freeeeeeeeeeee-1465412/ for download.

Lemme know if you need instructions.

2 words: fastboot, linux.

sent from my i9250
    I had the same problem a while ago..the only sign of life was OMAP4460 when connected with no battery..

- Thought should find a driver for that and then found TI 1.6 OMAP flash:
    http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Flash_v1.6_User_Guide

no luck so sent it to:
    - Sent to the Samsung Repair and for sure the answer was "internal flash issue, replace "circuit board".

- then sent it to a jtag shop and no box supports it yet
    "FYI: ORT "Omina repair box" cliamed to supported May 12."sent them email to confirm and got to reply" and seems this one is using OMAP flash.
    Other boxes no support"

- Riff box coder Legija did great work in creating the OMAP flash tool..using the same 1.6 TI flash tool "great idea"

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f63...b-prime-via-usb-cable-freeeeeeeeeeee-1465412/

- But sadly the tool did not get my phone back to life.. but seeing the asci codes gave me hope.
    error "Unknown status message 'p????' during peripheral boot (waiting for 2nd)"

"I knew I need a different configurations and image files for the tool to work or it migt be the driver "UIP,PID or contianer" or the EMMC is damaged"

- Gave XP Mode a try and got the same error above so Win 7 driver might not be the issue.

- Installed VMwarewith Ubuntu 64 bit.
    - Now downloading the repo for ics from google.

- And below some resources that might give us help to resolve this issue and will paste the links to allow you guys join in the effort and I will update you with the results:

- OMAP4460 needed info:

http://www.omappedia.com/wiki/4AI.1.3_OMAP4_Icecream_Sandwich_Release_Notes

http://omapedia.org/wiki/Bootloader_Project

http://code.google.com/p/omap-u-boot-utils/

http://code.google.com/p/omap-u-boo...name=omap-u-boot-utils-pack-r0.2.tgz&can=2&q=

---
    Thanks to Legija

Thanks to scholbert
    http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=557802
    Hello,
    my GNex was rooted and running fine with liquidsmooth 1.35 until one night i forgot to plug it for recharging the battery.
    The next morning the phone had shut down, i plugged it in, but no icon or led was showing, trying to power it on won't work, it just does nothing, no recovery or fastboot either.
    When i plug it to a computer USB it shows as OMAP 4440, but only for a couple seconds, then i hear the USB unplugging sound and it's gone until i disconnect/reconnect it, just for a couple seconds more. I tried following the instructions on Naezor's link, i think i installed the drivers correctly but when i run the .bat file it waits for me to plug the phone in (if it was already plugged i have to unplug and replug), then it starts doing some of its flashing, then it sits waiting until i unplug and replug again, and then the script stops at:

"Unknown status message '??0?8?0??' during peripheral boot (waiting for 2nd)"

and then i hear USB unplugging and the .bat loops itself.
    nothing changes on the phone.
    any ideas?

*EDIT*
    since OMAP drivers might not be compatible with win7 x64, i tried installing XPsp3 on a virtual machine, but i got the same result.

Prior to trying to flash it, were you seeing any pixelated-looking androids or strange screen jumping with no response after on your bootloader? If so, your processor is fried and the OMAPFlash isn't going to work.

It's not your computer, I'm running the same setup. Maybe try to delete and redownload - set a dedicated folder so it can easily find the 2nd.

JTAG is probably your best option now, but if that doesn't work, sending into Samsung or a extremely proficient repair facility that can replace your processor is the last resort.

Best of luck.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Do you get the OMAP 4460 device to stay in your device manager screen for as long as the device stays plugged in? mine turns off after a few seconds.

It's during those few seconds that you have to access the OMAP4460 and install the drivers. Just click it as soon as it shows up, then install the drivers from /usb_drv_windows /omap_winusb

After that, execute the .bat file and it should do it's trick.

My guess is: OMAPFlash needs to flash a "2nd downloader" on SDRAM first, then it can flash bootloader, but after flashing the 2nd my device turns off, and i have to unplug/replug it to have the script recognize it again. maybe the SDRAM goes off during that. Maybe something's wrong with our phones and OMAP isn't working properly anymore.

It doesn't need the 2nd on the sd - it is included in the download. See omapflash2nd? That's it! :)

As I said before, if your processor is fried, OMAPFlash can't restore it. It needs to be reballed/replaced.