Hmmm might cancel my Xperia z pre order

Search This thread

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
That doesn't say anything?? Really? I call it larger Dev support.

Sent from my 3rd Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

call it what you want, doesn't change the fact that in order to have long term and quick CM support you need the kernel source.

edit:
I have high hopes for the One as it don't use nvidia h/w and this might speed up things

Last edited:

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I don't see why anyone would purchase a Sony handset unless they are a fanboy, in which case it would be pointless arguing with an irrational person.

Yes, a fanboy or someone who wants to try something different (you never know). I just don't understand those nonsense arguments about Sony having better Dev support than all other OEM, which is ABSOLUTELY FALSE. First of all Dev support doesn't stop at aosp. There are themes, apps, kernels, Roms, mods, fixes, patches you Name it. There's not one single sony phone that has better Dev support than the One X, which makes that argument stupid. Second is this big deal about the XZ and waterproof. Don't get me wrong I think its a great feature, but what are the chances of someone dropping their phone in water vs dropping them? Drop resistant is what I would prefer, something that can happen on a daily basis vs dropping your phone in a liquid, which never happened to me in more than 16 years owning a cell phone.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

call it what you want, doesn't change the fact that in order to have long term and quick CM support you need the kernel source.

edit:
I have high hopes for the One as it don't use nvidia h/w and this might speed up things

I understand but my point is Dev support doesn't stop at CM and aosp.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Fair enough, for me it does as I don't care about customization and or tweaks.

I hear you. But wouldn't you like an enhanced version of the stock ROM on the XZ? With better battery life and lag free plus additional features? That's what I really look for when I buy a phone, I guess i m speaking for my self cause when I buy a Samsung, Sony or HTC , its also because of the custom ui. If that ui has some issues, i like it fixed in a custom ROM.

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
I think I will have to cancel my pre order, simply because the One has much better h/w so it would be kind of silly to buy a clearly lesser device. Also investment wise I think it is better since there is a real good probability that the Z will plument in price in the coming months, just like the XT and other Xperia's.

a pity dough since I really liked the look and I was almost ready to forgive the sub par screen :)

I have to sleep over it

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
Non removable 2300mah.. The only real let down for me.
One X+ had 2100 and it didnt last as long as the S3.
This will have a 1080p display too..

S4 to be unveiled in less than 4 weeks too..

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
I hear you. But wouldn't you like an enhanced version of the stock ROM on the XZ? With better battery life and lag free plus additional features? That's what I really look for when I buy a phone, I guess i m speaking for my self cause when I buy a Samsung, Sony or HTC , its also because of the custom ui. If that ui has some issues, i like it fixed in a custom ROM.

I have bad memories of the type of rom when I had the Hero and the Desire, besides that CM is most of the time quicker with Android version updates

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

S4 to be unveiled in less than 4 weeks too..

for me that is not a problem as I have an unhealthy and posibly non rational hate towards TouchWizz and Samsung design

Al Gore

Jan 31, 2013
Moscow
They are pretty much identical (as are most of the tech in the world), so unless HTC has a much better screen with an equal battery life I will get HTC instead of Sony.

ssj_jaypee

Dec 4, 2010
Republic of Toronto
There is always something better around the corner. I wasn't expecting the Xperia Z to stay on top anyway.

the sad thing is, the Xperia Z isn't even out yet!
Sony is going to release an outdated phone.

It wouldn't be so bad if the Xperia Z was out already since beginning on this month, but many places are not getting this phone until March and even Canada has to wait until April to get the Xperia ZL.

really this is a huge fail and I hope Sony fails badly for their stupid decisions.

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
They are pretty much identical (as are most of the tech in the world), so unless HTC has a much better screen with an equal battery life I will get HTC instead of Sony.

Aluminum unibody
Better processor (Sony has a last gen processor)
Superior Camera
Superior Screen

Not even close to identical my friend :D

JPWOA

Feb 16, 2013
Best camera? Do you remember all the hype on the Z camera?

Sometime on paper doesn't make better on real life...

Tomatoes8

Jun 10, 2012
I'm sorry but the HTC One looks better than the XZ. And better Dev support on the Sony? Please.

The HTC one looks like an ion or xperia P from the back but the front isn't as nice as the P or S, so I think the Z has it beat soundly in the looks department. Symmetry is what makes everything look good and the Xperia Z is pure symmetry.

The One looks weird to me.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Aluminum unibody
Better processor (Sony has a last gen processor)
Superior Camera
Superior Screen

Not even close to identical my friend :D

Aluminum unibody is only a pro in I sheep land.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
im sticking with the xperia z..htc one is great great things to offer..but xperia z has some great things too..

I respect that

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

The HTC one looks like an ion or xperia P from the back but the front isn't as nice as the P or S, so I think the Z has it beat soundly in the looks department. Symmetry is what makes everything look good and the Xperia Z is pure symmetry.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Good thing is its a matter of preference

Reactions: emorej

Tomatoes8

Jun 10, 2012
Yes, but many HTC Devices have jellybean too. My DHD has jellybean and it is a 3 year old device.

PLUS the Chinese HTC Scene is huge.

Unfortunately, and by all accounts the M7 leaves the Z far behind. A superior screen, Camera, Sound Quality and Loudness, not to mention build quality.

I don't see why anyone would purchase a Sony handset unless they are a fanboy, in which case it would be pointless arguing with an irrational person.

Actually, the Z has nicer build quality, its super thin and waterproof and dust proof. I said wow when I saw the Sony design. I said meh when I saw the HTC One design.

As far as why anyone would choose Sony. Well, I had two Sony phones and 4 HTC phones. The only 4 phones that I have had serious issues with were the HTC phones and I hear many accounts of the same thing happening to other people. So yeah, I would logically buy any Sony over any HTC and I am not even a Sony fan.

Last edited:

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
YEAH, great things like like washed out screen and inferior specs...

According to the Verge, the screen on the One makes the Zs screen look dated before its even out.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/19/4003728/htc-one-launch-announcement

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Huh? U realize HTC was the first to make an aluminum unibody?

Talk about uninformed hater/sheep. How ironic lol.

Actually, the Z has nicer build quality, its super thin and waterproof and dust proof. I said wow when I saw the Sony design. I said meh when I saw the HTC One design.

As far as why anyone would choose Sony. Well, I had two Sony phones and 4 HTC phones. The only 4 phones that I have had serious issues with were the HTC phones and I hear many accounts of the something happening to other people. So yeah, I would logically buy any Sony over any HTC and I am not even a Sony fan.

Hm.... sure.

And btw, that reasoning isn't deductively valid.

redThd

Feb 25, 2011
XZ also has its advantages over HTC One:

- same size phone while having bigger screen
- water/dust proof
- sd card slot
- (probably) better battery life (screen tech.)

There, I prefer the Z.

Also I'm taking the Z's screen size over one's speakers. Using foxl g2 bluetooth speaker - any ext. speaker will be preferable to the phone's ones.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do we really need another thread like this ?

First people said XZ is amazing, we had dev prototype devices that were totally amazing and beat everything, then some started to say it's not because M7 is coming.

Then it turned out that those mystical devices were "not what retail consumers will get" according to some alleged sony representative who apparently has nothing else to do but spill his company's secrets that can seriously damage the brand, over the phone ( seriously people ? ) and the final version was suddenly utter garbage with terrible screen and loads of problems.

Now One is announced and we have another flame war entitled "htc is so amazing that everything about XZ sucks now", and in 2-3 weeks we'll have another thread like this about HTC - because when S4 comes out both One and XZ will suck and every single quad-core cpu will suddenly become out-dated tech :S

Seriously people, many bashed XZ because its back is glass and will scratch - well, newsflash, have you seen any aluminium iDevice after a few months ? Same goes for battery... XZ is bad because you can't remove the battery, but nobody seems to have this trouble with HTC. People said that PPI is not important because everything over 720p is useless, but now when HTC came out with 468ppi it's suddenly the most important thing making XZ "outdated". I could go on but I think I made my point.

And most importantly - why the hell do we need all those flamewars here in Xperia Z forums ? Lets take HTC/Samsung talks to HTC/Samsung forums... and don't say that it's for "exchanging opinions" or "drawing attention to Xperia", because clearly what we're having is spec/fan wars.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying XZ is flawless. It has many disadvantages I don't like - but every phone have them, and the fact that new HTC was announced with better cpu doesn't make previous model trash.

If you desperately need to always have the best possible specs - snap out of it...

And yet again we have it... calling people iFa$s, HTC champions, Samsung's fanboys etc... A flame bait thread in my opinion...

I'll admit, I've been out of the loop on phones for an extremely long time, but I must say that I'm astounded by the paranoia that surrounds releases nowadays. Is this really the stage we've got to? We now have 'phone fights' similar to the "my mum's better than your mum" debate's of yesteryear!?

Man, am I really that old!?

Yes, unfortunatelly that's exactly what's happening right now... some think XZ's screen is "washed out" so automatically you can't like it and you're a loser if you won't cancel your pre-order. And don't you dare say you like it regardless, because it clearly shows you're just a blind Sony fanboy :rolleyes:
    you re canceling xperia Z now in two months you ll cancel HTC and order next top phone to get out and in two months you ll cancel that one and the story continues
    I'm a tech geek who happens to be a designer.

From a design perspective, in my opinion, the htc one looks gorgeous from the front.. but the double chamfered edge (seriously, too much bling in a 4mm side) and the many lines going through to the back makes it look over-designed and busy IMO. I like the black one better because it sort of hides all these extravagances.

I prefer the stark, clean and minalistic overall look of the XZ, hands down. Also, I like the close-to-stock Sony UI much better, and the sony music and gallery apps are beautifully designed compared to what HTC offers.

But that's just my subjective opinion - looking at them objectively and studying the facts reveals that the HTC One's screen, camera, sound and performance blow the Xperia Z out of the water - it makes it seem very last gen-ish.

So for me, it's a battle between design and engineering. I can only decide when i handle them both for myself.

But for people who think that the HTC One has a better design, well, there really is NO contest then.
    Why are people still defending the xz?
    I said it had outdated specs when it was announced. & said it was a 2012 phone despite sony trying to label it as a 2013 phone . And that the htc one would be the first true 2013 phone i was labelled a troll.
    Now most people agree with me but some people still insist on saying xz is ok. Seriously!!!!
    Xz is outdated specs htc one is cutting edge tech.
    Deal with it
    you are effing annoying, can you leave XZ subforum and never come back? We got your (dumb) point, bye.

said it was a 2012
    some people still insist on saying xz is ok
    Is it not ok to say that xz is ok? You say yourself it's a '2012 phone', not a 1970 phone. 2012 was 2 months ago.

XZ is outdated tech, LOL
    It's the second most powerful phone in the world, SOO OUTDATED. 99% of XDA users have some damn ancient Mayan devices then, I keep seeing some weird HTC One X, Galaxy S III, etc in their signatures.
    The rumor points at just that:

Sony c670x leak http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/03/0...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+XperiaBlog+(Xperia+Blog)

though I wonder how much more compact a 4.8" mobile will be...

And the cycle continues...

Hear rumor of New device -> start speculations -> put off buying new phone to wait for "that awesome rumored phone" -> wait 3 months as rumors and leaks start piling up -> build up huge expectations -> device is officially announced -> eagerly troll the web for reviews/previews -> book/pre-order -> wait for about a month for device to be released/available -> another phone announced/leaked -> start to question your booking/pre-order -> back to step 1

:)

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app