Media server app eating battery

Search This thread

akeres1

Dec 15, 2013
Mediaserver

As this isn't a Motorola problem, I doubt this will help :) Read here:

I'm not sure, this problem seems different to those highlighted in the link you've posted. This seems to be due to a process called qcamera2factory that is causing mediaserver to run continuously.

Though as you say Motorola might not be the cause of the problem, highlighting the issue to them is both easy and potentially may result in a fix.

vijay87

Dec 16, 2013
Today the problem happened again and I had to just wipe the data from the Media Storage app. To find you need to go to settings, applications, and slide to the All tab.

I just cleared the data of Media Storage and the result - all my photos and Motorola ringtones are all gone

Update:
Got them back after a reboot.

Last edited:

grockstar

Jul 21, 2012
London
Yup, Skype was the culprit for me as well.

I had Googled the Media Server battery drain issue and was preparing to check for corrupt MP3 files (seems to be common cause). But uninstalling Skye was a much less painful solution :laugh:

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
Maybe someone should contact Skype, if it's only the new version that's doing it, they may not even be aware it's an issue.

Lauriz7

Jun 17, 2012
I have this issue, but strangely the mediaserver is still eating battery like a boss even after Skype uninstall. There are no ".nomedia" or corrupted files, applications are almost STOCK. I even resetted the device, but the irritating mediaserver began to eat battery already after 2 days since reset. What's the problem? My Moto G had an excellent battery life since this issue come along.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-21-17-45-06.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-21-17-45-06.png
    152 KB · Views: 335
  • Screenshot_2013-12-21-17-45-11.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-21-17-45-11.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 239

ksuuk

Apr 23, 2012
Tallinn
Like I said, for me (I have disable almost every possible app) the reason was SkyPe. Uninstalling, installing the old version and reboot helped, Mediaserver's 60% was gone from battery stats, now few days later Mediaserver is back, but using 3%, which seems OK, as probably some apps still using it, anyway battery last's better. I also cleared Gallery's data and cache.

ksuuk

Apr 23, 2012
Tallinn
My Moto G had an excellent battery life since this issue come along.

BTW, I noticed, that You have and I don't have a "Battery Saver" option. Is there some special way to activate such option?

Edit: Found the reason - if Motorola Assist is disabled, the "Battery Saver" option isn't available.

Last edited:

ka4o_pi4a

Jul 3, 2010
Blagoevgrad
I'm glad to say that uninstalling Skype and install older version solve my media server issue. I'll write if it happens again.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

Lauriz7

Jun 17, 2012
Uninstalling skype and installing the 2.8 version (link in page 3) seemed to solve the problem! I have earlier uninstalled Skype, but strangely it DID NOT help. Installing an older version of skype and rebooting device fixed mediaserver battery drain. Now i can enjoy excellent Moto G batt. life again. Thanks guys!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I uninstalled it

I have the same problem. I have just cleaned the data of Media Storage app, hope it works.
    qcamera2factory might be the culprit

Hi guys,

as mentioned in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545970

a program called qcamera2factory might be causing this. It shows up as media server in the battery settings (maybe because it calls the media server all the time). This would also explain why snapchat is causing the battery drain, as it is a camera app.

Using Better Battery Stats, it shows that qcamera2factory is clearly keeping my phone from going to deep sleep.

Ideas, anyone?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ToySJ0v.png
    this issue is not directly related to Skype, but to any app using the camera

As mentioned here, I removed my latest version Skype and installed the older version. Now the media server has stopped eating my battery.

I observed a strange thing. Even when I keep my WiFi turned off, when I check the battery usage history details, it shows as if I had my WiFi turned ON all the time. Is anyone else facing this issue? or am I doing something wrong?