Bluetooth Keyboard Connection Issue

Search This thread

eddlum25

Nov 1, 2012
Leeds
Hi all, I just bought a COD (TM) Bluetooth Keyboard Stand from Amazon. The stand is great, but the bluetooth keyboard keep losing its connection, even when I'm typing.

What could be the cause? Does anyone know how to fix this? Your help is much appreciated.

EDIT :

Try this to fix your BT problems .

Go to settings > Connections > Bluetooth > Hit menu button > Visibility Timeout > and change it to Never

Thanks to Geordie Affy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hypocritus

ArticFox918

Nov 16, 2011
La Crosse, WI
Hi all, I just bought a COD (TM) Bluetooth Keyboard Stand from Amazon. The stand is great, but the bluetooth keyboard keep losing its connection, even when I'm typing.

What could be the cause? Does anyone know how to fix this? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Try disabling the onscreen keyboard when connected to bluetooth. Some have reported this to help. I do not know for sure as I dont have BT Keyboard yet. There is some talk in one of the threads here about it. I dont remember where ATM but will look again for it and post a link to it if I can find it. Otherwise you can search in the threads for it here yourself

Here is the link I mentioned:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2526070

Last edited:
Reactions: eddlum25

eddlum25

Nov 1, 2012
Leeds
Try disabling the onscreen keyboard when connected to bluetooth. Some have reported this to help. I do not know for sure as I dont have BT Keyboard yet. There is some talk in one of the threads here about it. I dont remember where ATM but will look again for it and post a link to it if I can find it. Otherwise you can search in the threads for it here yourself

Here is the link I mentioned:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2526070

Thanks for your reply. I tried this trick with no luck. It automatically switch back to Samsung keyboard after 2 second. Grrrrr...very annoying :mad:

LaRoach

Feb 20, 2010
Google "android 4.3 bluetooth keyboard". Android 4.3 breaks most bluetooth keyboards and it appears Google has no desire to fix it with 4.4 out now. There are fixes out there but they involve rooting and voiding your warranty on this tablet. I think those of us who use bt keyboards and want a warranty will just have to wait for Samsung to roll out 4.4.

I almost returned the tablet over this but I get enough out of it that I'll wait. Hopefully they'll roll out 4.4 soon.

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Google "android 4.3 bluetooth keyboard". Android 4.3 breaks most bluetooth keyboards and it appears Google has no desire to fix it with 4.4 out now. There are fixes out there but they involve rooting and voiding your warranty on this tablet. I think those of us who use bt keyboards and want a warranty will just have to wait for Samsung to roll out 4.4.

I almost returned the tablet over this but I get enough out of it that I'll wait. Hopefully they'll roll out 4.4 soon.

I use my Samsung BT keyboard for hours on end and have never had a single issue with it. If BT is on, my N10.1-14 auto-connects when I turn on my BT keyboard and disables the onscreen keyboard. Samsung doesn't use Android's stock BT stack so any problems in generic Android wouldn't affect their devices. There are quite a few people here that aren't having issues with BT keyboards which would lead me to believe that it's the keyboards that some people are using that are causing issues. Interestingly, I had issues with the same keyboard I'm using now on my N10.1-12 where it would fight with the onscreen keyboard and randomly pop-up accented characters if I typed something like an "a" and left my finger on the key too long. It drove me crazy and I don't have any of those issues with the N10.1-14.

GeorgeP

Sep 19, 2007
It's not clear exactly what the problem is, but here are a couple of observations, from what I've noticed:

- In some cases, the problem may be related to conflicts with other apps installed. The problem became much less noticeable after i uninstalled MightyText. May be coincidence, but I definitely see a big improvement. I still get an occasional disconnect with the Logitech K810, at most once every half hour of so. When MightyText was installed, I got disconnected every couple minutes.
- I also have a Samsung BT keyboard. I very rarely get disconnects with the Samsung KB.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryH_GEG

dpersuhn

Jan 26, 2008
@BarryH_GEG

I'd like to know where it was published that Samsung isn't using the stock Android BT stack? I've tried numerous keyboards that work with my desktop, iphone, and original GN 10.1 without any issue whatsoever, but are useless with this tablet. All of the symptoms are consistent with what others have reported on android 4.3. Hard to imagine that being a coincidence. Glad you found one keyboard that works. We can add it to the (short) list of ones that do.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
@BarryH_GEG

I'd like to know where it was published that Samsung isn't using the stock Android BT stack? I've tried numerous keyboards that work with my desktop, iphone, and original GN 10.1 without any issue whatsoever, but are useless with this tablet. All of the symptoms are consistent with what others have reported on android 4.3. Hard to imagine that being a coincidence. Glad you found one keyboard that works. We can add it to the (short) list of ones that do.

Kind of simple really. BT's been broken in AOSP since 4.2.

Bluetooth Is Basically Broken

Known affected devices: Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus.

Documented? Android bugs [1] [2], XDA [1] [2], Google+.

We've already received numerous emails about this issue, and I've confirmed it myself: Bluetooth on everything but the Nexus 4 (apparently) is in an absolutely sorry state right now. Audio streams extremely choppily, sounds mediocre, and often loses connectivity entirely. 3rd party Bluetooth apps that create compatibility with devices like the Sixaxis or Wii controllers no longer function at all, and throw an error instead.

This is bad. This is the kind of thing that makes someone return a phone or tablet, because A.) people have no patience for stuff like this, and B.) there's zero reason something as simple as Bluetooth should be broken so badly out of the box. Google needs to mark this one "critical" and fix it ASAP.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

Samsung's 4.2 devices weren't affected which means they had to be using either their own BT s/w or made major modifications to BT in AOSP. As for a "short list," how do we know it's of "working" peripheral's vs. "broken" peripheral's? I've only seen about a half-dozen BT connectivity complaints and really wasn't aware of the problem until it was pointed out to me in another thread. In my case I have about six BT devices I use regularly including speakers, headphones, mice, and keyboards and if asked I'd say they work better on the N10.1-14 then they did on the N10.1-12. I'd define "better" as connecting faster automatically, staying connected, and playing well with others when multiple BT devices are connected. To your point, I could be the anomaly but as posted in this and other threads disabling the onscreen keyboard and checking for conflicting s/w seems to have helped some people so it wouldn't appear BT issues are that widespread (yet).

dpersuhn

Jan 26, 2008
I agree that the onscreen keyboard adds much to the frustration, as it's default behavior mimics the problems folks have been reporting on other 4.3 devices. Most of what I've come across cites keyboard issues that many have experienced immediately after upgrading to 4.3, but that doesn't really meet the requirements of being evidence either. I suppose the only real way to know would be to grab the base android build that Sammy used and compare files.

As for compatibility issues beyond keyboard input, I can't really speak to that, as I only have a few audio devices and one gamepad. It isn't really a large enough sampling to suggest that the entire stack is hosed up. My issues have been entirely related to BT keyboards, so I'm more focused on that.

You mention conflicting software, which brings up a question. Since the BT stack would be considered part of the protected core OS, apps would require root to mess with it, wouldn't they? The six axis app being a good example, as it requires root. To hook the BT stack at a low enough level to add profiles or override existing ones for compatibility isn't something that should be possible with a user level app. I could be off base here and the reports of user apps affecting BT are an interesting coincidence, but I'm not sure I can quite see where the two cross paths. The alternative is surely more concerning, as it would imply that core OS functions in this tablet are somehow exposed to being overridden by user space apps.

Reactions: BarryH_GEG

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I agree that the onscreen keyboard adds much to the frustration, as it's default behavior mimics the problems folks have been reporting on other 4.3 devices. Most of what I've come across cites keyboard issues that many have experienced immediately after upgrading to 4.3, but that doesn't really meet the requirements of being evidence either. I suppose the only real way to know would be to grab the base android build that Sammy used and compare files.

As for compatibility issues beyond keyboard input, I can't really speak to that, as I only have a few audio devices and one gamepad. It isn't really a large enough sampling to suggest that the entire stack is hosed up. My issues have been entirely related to BT keyboards, so I'm more focused on that.

You mention conflicting software, which brings up a question. Since the BT stack would be considered part of the protected core OS, apps would require root to mess with it, wouldn't they? The six axis app being a good example, as it requires root. To hook the BT stack at a low enough level to add profiles or override existing ones for compatibility isn't something that should be possible with a user level app. I could be off base here and the reports of user apps affecting BT are an interesting coincidence, but I'm not sure I can quite see where the two cross paths. The alternative is surely more concerning, as it would imply that core OS functions in this tablet are somehow exposed to being overridden by user space apps.

Great post and it touches on one of Android's key weaknesses. "Core" like everything else is nothing but a guideline. OEMs like Samsung and app developers color outside the lines all the time for their own benefit. In Samsung's case it was beneficial because BT in 4.2 was a mess and based on your findings still is so Samsung's meddling helped their audience. Android's kind of like the wild wild West in that regard. Add to that something like BT which itself is kind of like the wild wild West with frequent complaints about incompatibility between devices and you end up with the situation we're discussing. In every phone forum I've seen there's always multiple threads on "can't connect to my [insert brand of car]'s BT system." If the phone and car's BT implementation followed prescribed standards that wouldn't be the case. But who knows who's fault it is - the device OEM or the car manufacturer.

Here's another thing to consider about Samsung devices. ROMs from different regions with the same build and change list number released within days or weeks of each other can have different versions of included apps and s/w. As an example, some users on the N10.1-12 forum couldn't import PDFs in to S Note while the majority could. Those that could successfully imported the same PDFs that those that couldn't were having issues with. With some sleuthing we discovered there were almost a dozen different versions of S Note and that two had the PDF issue. And that was with the N10.1-12 being out for about three months. I'm on a Latin American SM-601 so there's the possibility that my BT might be different from U.S. (and possibly other region) SM-600's.

You might want to try a Samsung BT keyboard that you can return if you want to see if the BT issue is pervasive. If Samsung's KB works then you'll know that BT isn't totally borked and that perhaps updates might correct incompatibility issues with other keyboards.

dpersuhn

Jan 26, 2008
The OEM customizations necessary to fit android to a particular platform is a necessary part of enabling the OS on vendor specific hardware platforms. I get that part, but replacing the entire stack instead of just creating the kernel driver component would definitely be an aggressive move. If this is the case, I would really be surprised that apps outside of the ones Samsung has written or bundled would be able to interfere with it. Maybe I'm giving samsung too much credit by assuming that they would leave the baseline android security model intact, but to deviate from it that badly is asking for a major vulnerability trainwreck. The inclusion of Knox (I won't get started on that in this thread) would imply that they are trying to prevent such a thing.

I obviously don't have the details necessary to speak decisively about what Samsng May or may not have done, but if what you say is correct and they have inserted some other BT stack, KitKat may not help us either. The stock BT stack in it adds support for HID over GATT (HOGP), enabling A number of BT 4.0 LE devices that currently won't work (MS Arc Touch for Surface Pro, for example). I'm hoping we might see an update to 4.4 in Q1 '14, so it'll be interesting to see how an updated release affects BT functionality.

matsuru

Jul 10, 2008
Anyone try the app external keyboard helper?

Sent from my SM-P605 using XDA Premium HD app

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
I have a logitech k810 bluetooth keyboard and have no issues with disconnects, whatsoever. Maybe its a problem with the keyboards trying to conserve energy?

Last edited:

Action B

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg VA
I have a logiteck k810 bluetooth keyboard and have no issues with disconnects, whatsoever. Maybe its a problem with the keyboards trying to conserve energy?

Could you describe your device details?

I'm having this problem with logitech k810 keyboard and android mouse. I have the pro version of the keyboard helper and it has no effect.

Here is a video of the issue = http://youtu.be/WlCgFQ0cAO0

It is much worse with the keyboard than the mouse. My Note 3 running android 4.3 has no issue with galaxy gear, keyboard, mouse and allshare cast all connected at once. I expected the same out of this tablet. I may be returning this tablet, I do not find this acceptable.

My device is a 32GB white SM-p600 USA version.

BT problem exists at initial boot, and was tested after each incremental firmware update to still be present.

Last edited:

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
Could you describe your device details?

I'm having this problem with logitech k810 keyboard and android mouse. I have the pro version of the keyboard helper and it has no effect.

Here is a video of the issue = http://youtu.be/WlCgFQ0cAO0

It is much worse with the keyboard than the mouse. My Note 3 running android 4.3 has no issue with galaxy gear, keyboard, mouse and allshare cast all connected at once. I expected the same out of this tablet. I may be returning this tablet, I do not find this acceptable.

My device is a 32GB white SM-p600 USA version.

BT problem exists at initial boot, and was tested after each incremental firmware update to still be present.

I saw your video (nice nicknames for mouse and note btw). I have the USA p600 16GB wifi only - white. I don't have a bluetooth mouse so I can't try that but it seems to work flawlessly with my K810 keyboard with my limited trials. I haven't done any extensive like write a paper but i've done some messaging and emails. Also i've only tried it with the latest firmware. I'd recommend doing a factory reset, and if that doesn't fix it, maybe exchange it for another unit.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

Since there's no possible s/w conflicts and I'm assuming you disabled the onscreen keyboard during your testing it might be the keyboard itself. If your keyboard is older/newer than @ChrisNee1988's it might have a different chip or f/w in it. Peripherals aren't built to exacting standards whereas it's unlikely for there to be h/w differences between two SM-600's built so close together.

Action B

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg VA
Since there's no possible s/w conflicts and I'm assuming you disabled the onscreen keyboard during your testing it might be the keyboard itself. If your keyboard is older/newer than @ChrisNee1988's it might have a different chip or f/w in it. Peripherals aren't built to exacting standards whereas it's unlikely for there to be h/w differences between two SM-600's built so close together.

The keyboard works great on my note 3 so it's fine.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who has problems with BT, try the following, it works for me.

Go to settings > Connections > Bluetooth > Hit menu button > Visibility Timeout > and change it to Never

Hope this help.
    Solved My Issue

Has anybody found any solution besides connecting to another bluetooth media player to maintain connection (ridiculous for a 500 dollar tablet) or getting an exchange?

EDIT: I tried the "Connect to a A2DP Bluetooth device and play music" method, which successfully keeps bluetooth ON- no more disconnects every 7 seconds. This probably means there's a software issue since there IS the capability of the bluetooth radio to stay ON. It is not some physical defect or shortcircuiting or god knows what that's causing the bluetooth to keep turning of when only connected to a keyboard HID profile.

I tried flashing the latest firmware, and tried a hardware reset (through stock recovery), then flashed CM12, numerous bluetooth apps and still no avail. My last resort will be to flash the oldest firmware available on XAR (cellular south/US) and see if automatic OTA updates will upgrade something somewhere that flashing the last firmware would not be able to incorporate ( you can tell I'm getting desperate here).

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 (US Version) and Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio Protective case with integrated keyboard for Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1. I had the same problem with keyboard disconnecting constantly (being idle, while typing). Was very annoying. I tried all the settings mentioned in the forums, but nothing worked for me. I also rooted my device, but no difference.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and had bluetooth issues disconnecting with bluetooth headsets. I installed "SoundAbout" from the Google Play Store. There is a free version, but I bought the Pro Version and it fixed all on my Phone.

I decided to install it on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2014. The application installs on my tablet, but I can't even launch the application, HOWEVER, all my keyboard disconnects have gone away. Previously, I was not able to use the keyboard. After installing the "SoundAbout" application; I have not had ANY disconnects and absolutely LOVE my setup now. Laptop has been put aside.
    *NOTE: I installed SoundAbout (free) and the Pro key on my box. Not sure if Free version will work alone.

This SOLVED my problem. I hope this may help others. The xdadevelopers site has been invaluable to me. I hope I can give back to the community. GOOD LUCK.
    Having been in electronics engineering and telecommunications (including wireless) engineering for the last 15 years, this smacks of a low level driver problem to me.

TO BarryH_GEG's comment about my position not answering the K810 working after swapping hardware, I can only say that my idea fully supports this. Iagree that there have been hardware issues, but I fail to see why you're stuck on the notion that hardware and software issues must be mutually exclusive. Just because you replaced defective hardware and the K810 started working properly doesn't mean there can't still be a software issue that affects other input devices. Using the same argument, I could conclude that my hardware is good because the first tablet didn't work with the wedge and the second one did when using the same firmware. I continue to hold the same position that both the hardware and software have experienced defects. Hardware defects affecting all input devices, software defects being a bit more selective.

For further clarification about the possibility of the devices all being from the same batch. The first was purchased in Orlando on release day. It was exchanged in Pittsburgh in November, exchanged again in Tampa in early January, exchanged again today in Pittsburgh. I'll keep returning this tablet every 44 days until BB stops me or Samsung fixes this issue.

As to this being academic, it is in a way. I like solving problems like this (it's why I got into engineering in the first place), but more importantly want to lay a smoking gun at Samsung's proverbial feet and help force the issue to be addressed by showing clear cut evidence that Samsung can't refute. If they continue to ignore it, I guess the videos start and they can then beg me to take them down like the flaming chargers for their phones. All in all, I'm becoming less and less tolerant of poor quality technology items as time goes on. Maybe I can help do something about that, maybe not. I intend to give it the old college try...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    hi guys! Root the tablet, nano backup, and delete SAMSUNG KEYBOARD! nothing to do with wifi, bluetooth stack, bluetooth antenna etc. Been typing away for past half hour now....