Tips and tricks

Search This thread

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
I removed one app 5 times because I could only get to settings during initial setup. I was so angry there was no menu button. Then I heard about the long press

AmisRBjr

Apr 4, 2011
New Message preview

After receiving a new text message, there's an alert on the lockscreen that reads, "Messages New Message". Anyone else find this practically useless? Is there a way to get that notification to give a preview of the message?

What I've been doing is either tapping on the New Message banner then swiping in the highlighted box below to unlock and go straight to that message. Or I pull down the top panel and tap on the message preview found there. Either works, but seems like extra steps.

Huachipato

Feb 11, 2014
Richardson
You can create an auto-reject list.
From the Phone App - going into settings (3 dots on the top right) and Settings-> Call -> Call rejection. From there you can set to reject form list and start creating a list of numbers you don't want to hear from.

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
After receiving a new text message, there's an alert on the lockscreen that reads, "Messages New Message". Anyone else find this practically useless? Is there a way to get that notification to give a preview of the message?

What I've been doing is either tapping on the New Message banner then swiping in the highlighted box below to unlock and go straight to that message. Or I pull down the top panel and tap on the message preview found there. Either works, but seems like extra steps.

If you open the messaging app, go to settings, notifications, and at the bottom if you check lockscreen it will show the sender and part of the text instead of just new message. You can also turn on pop up where it shows a pop up message where you can reply to a message without going into the messaging app. Pretty convenient. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

chkn

Nov 1, 2007
Rialto
Card scanner built into contacts app

Open contacts >menu>business cards> hit + and you have a scanner !!

Last edited:

dclay89

Oct 24, 2008
Anyone know of a way to make long pressing the home button on the lock screen turn on flashlight like in the miui rom?

Reactions: 1967ls2

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
1. long press on the recent apps button while looking at one of your home screens, or long press on the home screen to get your scrren menu then hit "home screen settings" uncheck "my magizine" to get rid of the magazine tab

2. go into camera and hit settings turn off picture stabilization to make the camera much more responsive and get rid of that "please hold still" delay when trying to take pics of moving targets (dogs, kids, etc)

3. until we get root third part apps will NOT save to the external SD card (your camera and some stock apps will, but playlists from 3rd party mp3, back ups from any back up app, 3rd party notepad, 3rd party alarms like smart alarm, etc will not) so be careful that if you need to back something up use dropbox or something like that these third party apps may back up to an emulated storage (still internal storage) so if you factory reset when we actually get root you will still lose everything you thought you saved

4. if someone helped you hit the thanks button, lol

wataytay69

Sep 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Disable/hide apps you don't use from your app drawer: go to app drawer - long press recents/hit menu button (three vertical dots) - select "Uninstall/Disable Apps"

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: evilbeef54

armyranger172

Jan 15, 2011
So I was playing around with the fingerprint scanner and wanted to add more then 3 fingerprints. When I was setting up my thumb, I also swiped my pointer finger. After the set up was complete. I found it let me unlock the phone with both fingers from the one setup. I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I figured someone out there might find it useful.

Semper Primus

Maphack

Jan 18, 2011
Already posted in the fingerprint thread but thought it could be useful here..

What I did was use the 3 allotted different fingerprints and scan my thumb at slightly different angles so I could swipe my thumb horizontally rather than vertically and it works a lot better now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

f308gt4

May 14, 2011
So I was playing around with the fingerprint scanner and wanted to add more then 3 fingerprints. When I was setting up my thumb, I also swiped my pointer finger. After the set up was complete. I found it let me unlock the phone with both fingers from the one setup. I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I figured someone out there might find it useful.

Semper Primus

Thanks!! Just confirmed this worked for me. I was able to use right thumb, left thumb, and index finger on just 1 fingerprint setting.

I am going to copy and paste this info into the thread I made on the Fingerprint Scanner Tips.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. long press on the recent apps button while looking at one of your home screens, or long press on the home screen to get your scrren menu then hit "home screen settings" uncheck "my magizine" to get rid of the magazine tab

2. go into camera and hit settings turn off picture stabilization to make the camera much more responsive and get rid of that "please hold still" delay when trying to take pics of moving targets (dogs, kids, etc)

3. until we get root third part apps will NOT save to the external SD card (your camera and some stock apps will, but playlists from 3rd party mp3, back ups from any back up app, 3rd party notepad, 3rd party alarms like smart alarm, etc will not) so be careful that if you need to back something up use dropbox or something like that these third party apps may back up to an emulated storage (still internal storage) so if you factory reset when we actually get root you will still lose everything you thought you saved

4. if someone helped you hit the thanks button, lol
    Already posted in the fingerprint thread but thought it could be useful here..

What I did was use the 3 allotted different fingerprints and scan my thumb at slightly different angles so I could swipe my thumb horizontally rather than vertically and it works a lot better now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Semper Primus
    Anyone know of a way to make long pressing the home button on the lock screen turn on flashlight like in the miui rom?
    Disable/hide apps you don't use from your app drawer: go to app drawer - long press recents/hit menu button (three vertical dots) - select "Uninstall/Disable Apps"

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app