[APP] PRadio - Pandora for Windows 8

Search This thread

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
PRadio is a Windows 8 Store App for Pandora. Unlike IE, this app allows users to stream music from Pandora recommendation service in the background. It works great on tablets such as Microsoft Surface. This app works only in the US. If you want to use it in other countries you need a US based proxy or VPN software such as openvpn.net

screenshot_11162012_171233.png

Features Supported
* Add radio stations via the search charm
* Search for Genre, Album, Artist and Songs
* Delete radio stations via the app bar
* Pin radio stations to start menu
* Play/Pause/Skip songs
* Multimedia Keyboard Support
* Support for snapped view and portrait layout.
* History of Songs Played
* Share Song Information with other applications via share charm
* Provide feedback for a song
* Background Streaming
* Support for touch and tablets

To download the released version please visit the Windows Store and search for PRadio or open the following link in IE.
http://bit.ly/Yt9qT5
The app is only available in the US Store, if you are in another country you can switch to the US Store by going to "Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\ Change region."

[Update 12/14/2012]:
If you want to try out the latest version that will be available shortly on the store you will need to sideload the app. This version supports background music streaming on Surface RT even when the device is locked (Connected Standby).

Please follow the instructions given below:
1. Download Pandora_0.0.4.8_AnyCPU_Test and unzip to any folder e.g. xyz.
2. Open powershell as an administrator
3. Execute the following commands in powershell
a) set-executionpolicy unrestricted
b) cd xyz\Pandora_0.0.4.8_AnyCPU_Test
c) .\Add-AppDevPackage.ps1
[Note: Installation process might ask you to login to your Microsoft Account which is necessary to get the necessary certificates from the windows store to sign the package]

If you have feedback on the app, please post below.

What is Pandora?
Pandora Internet Radio, an automated music recommendation service and "custodian" of the Music Genome Project whose service in full is only available in the United States, with limited access in Australia and New Zealand. The service plays musical selections similar to song suggestions entered by a user. The user provides positive or negative feedback for songs chosen by the service, which are taken into account for future selections.

Pandora.jpg

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Wow, very nicely implemented for a third-party client! The snapped interface is very good as well. The interface when something *else* is snapped (which means it only has about 1040 pixels of width on the Surface) isn't perfect though (usable, but some stuff gets covered).

I'd be happy to sideload and test a new version.

EDIT: A bit more feedback: the app doesn't handle being backgrounded very gracefully. It will stop playing after the current song. I suppose that *could* be intentional, but it's annoying.

Last edited:

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
Wow, very nicely implemented for a third-party client! The snapped interface is very good as well. The interface when something *else* is snapped (which means it only has about 1040 pixels of width on the Surface) isn't perfect though (usable, but some stuff gets covered).

I'd be happy to sideload and test a new version.

EDIT: A bit more feedback: the app doesn't handle being backgrounded very gracefully. It will stop playing after the current song. I suppose that *could* be intentional, but it's annoying.

Thanks for the feedback, I just posted instructions to sideload the new version.

It should not stop playing after the current song, this is not intentional. Can you send me the following PRadioInformation.log file which should be present in
%appdata%\..\Local\Packages\28268splashtetra.PRadio_80qntxqrmk3vj\LocalState folder

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Sorry, I should correct myself: it won't start the next song if the screen is off. Turning the screen on by itself won't start playing agian, either; you either have to use the media control and hit Play, or log in and have the app at least partially in the foreground.

If you still need the log I'll post it here in a bit.

Reactions: hsalps

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
Sorry, I should correct myself: it won't start the next song if the screen is off. Turning the screen on by itself won't start playing agian, either; you either have to use the media control and hit Play, or log in and have the app at least partially in the foreground.

Are you using a Surface RT or an ARM based tablet? If yes, I believe it is going into connected standby. In connected standby, windows does not let the app get the next playlist. I need to use a different set of API to support this scenario. As soon as I get hold of an ARM tablet I will add support for this. If this is not an ARM based tablet then please send me the logs.

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012

Hi GoodDayToDie or any Surface RT user,

I have created a new version 0.3.3 of the PRadio which hopefully should work in your machine. Can you give it a try? I do not own one yet so I cannot try it myself.

Instructions are given below.

Thanks

Instructions:
1. Download Pandora_0.0.3.3_AnyCPU_Test and unzip to any folder e.g. xyz.
b) cd xyz\Pandora_0.0.3.3_AnyCPU_Test
[Note: It might ask you to login to your Microsoft Account that is necessary to get the necessary certificates to sign the package]

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Thanks! Yes, I'm using Surface RT. I'm sideloading your app now and will report later.

EDIT: Works fine! I had to uninstall the current (store) version first, but it preserved my configuration (you using the roaming AppData?) so that was no problem.

The music playback did cut out eventually, but I'm guessing that's intentional (just the "are you still there?" check, perhaps) since it was after an hour or so of inactivity, and as soon as I brought he app forward again it resumed. I'm on a free account, BTW (used to subscribe, but between them not creating a WP7 app and the advantages of Zune Pass instead, I let it lapse).

One piece of feedback: you could put a lot more info on the About page. Version would be good, for example, and I didn't actually see attribution for the CC-licensed artwork, just a mention that it was CC-BY. Other than that, love it!

Last edited:

netham45

Jun 24, 2009
Denver
Seems to be working all nice and proper for me now too, on RT. :D

Eats far less CPU than letting IE run in desktop mode.

Edit: Every once in a while there seems to be a delay for it loading the next song of 30-45 seconds. Not critical, just noting.

Edit2: More feedback.
1) I can't forward to the next song from the volume menu.
2) It seems to stop playing after an hour and a half or so, on a Pandora One account.
3) It'd be nice if it could remember the last station and start playing on launch
4) Related, it'd be nice if it automatically logged in on launch, not sending you to the login screen. Perhaps a settings option to clear the stored user settings, and make it log in automatically?
5) I suspect this is more of an OS issue, but outputting through a USB sound card and putting the device to sleep causes the audio to become garbled and broken.
6) The formatting seems to be a bit off in portrait mode, the 'Log Out' button on the top clips over the station name, and there's a considerable amount of deadspace at the bottom of the screen (probably a good 1/3 of the screen is wasted)

And, are the advertisements on it yours or Pandora's? If they're Pandora's, it'd be nice if you could detect if it's a Pandora One account.

Last edited:

cobyman7035

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
does this work for cdn. IP addresses? regular pandora won't let cdn IP users :(

i know on android, you have to use ORBIT something app, forgot the name, and on iphone you use that hot shield free VPN

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for the feedback GoodDayToDie & netham45.

The music playback did cut out eventually, but I'm guessing that's intentional (just the "are you still there?" check, perhaps) since it was after an hour or so of inactivity
>> I know why it fails to play after an hour....Connected Standby, I will fix this in the next release.

>> you could put a lot more info on the About page. Version would be good, for example, and I didn't actually see attribution for the CC-licensed artwork, just a mention that it was CC-BY
I will add version in About page. Currently if you run the app and in taskmanager search pandora.exe, right-click and go to properties you can see the version. I will add attribution too. Good catch!!

>> I can't forward to the next song from the volume menu.
Forwarding is currently disabled as Pandora does limit the number of skips after some time. If a users keeps on skipping he/she will eventually hit this limit and there is no UI to message this to the user. This also prevented my app to be certified in the store so i decided to disable it for now till i figure out a better way to deal with this.

It'd be nice if it could remember the last station and start playing on launch
Good feedback, I will add in the next release.

Related, it'd be nice if it automatically logged in on launch, not sending you to the login screen. Perhaps a settings option to clear the stored user settings, and make it log in automatically?
Currently it should automatically login based on the credentials stored on the machine. Do you want a way to clear the settings?

I suspect this is more of an OS issue, but outputting through a USB sound card and putting the device to sleep causes the audio to become garbled and broken
Interesting....Thanks for reporting it. I would need to get hold of a USB sound card to try this out. Was this on the RT device?

The formatting seems to be a bit off in portrait mode, the 'Log Out' button on the top clips over the station name, and there's a considerable amount of deadspace at the bottom of the screen (probably a good 1/3 of the screen is wasted)

Thanks Log Out button should not have appeared. Will fix it and i will try to make better use of the real estate.

And, are the advertisements on it yours or Pandora's? If they're Pandora's, it'd be nice if you could detect if it's a Pandora One account.
The advertisements are mine...Not Pandora's maybe i can reduce the number of advertisements if that is a big eye sore. Thanks again for the feedback.

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
does this work for cdn. IP addresses? regular pandora won't let cdn IP users :(

i know on android, you have to use ORBIT something app, forgot the name, and on iphone you use that hot shield free VPN

If you use any VPN software to connect to US based server (I tried openvpn.net although has a data limit) you should be able to use the app to listen to pandora via the app. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

netham45

Jun 24, 2009
Denver
Related, it'd be nice if it automatically logged in on launch, not sending you to the login screen. Perhaps a settings option to clear the stored user settings, and make it log in automatically?
Currently it should automatically login based on the credentials stored on the machine. Do you want a way to clear the settings?
It sends me to the login screen most of the time when I launch it, or if I come back to it if it's been inactive for 5-6 hours.

I suspect this is more of an OS issue, but outputting through a USB sound card and putting the device to sleep causes the audio to become garbled and broken
Interesting....Thanks for reporting it. I would need to get hold of a USB sound card to try this out. Was this on the RT device?
Yes I'm using RT, though further testing shows that I get the same result no matter what music app I use, so I blame the OS.

hsalps

Nov 16, 2012
It sends me to the login screen most of the time when I launch it, or if I come back to it if it's been inactive for 5-6 hours.

Can you send me the PRadioInformation.log file which should be present in %appdata%\..\Local\Packages\28268splashtetra.PRadi o_80qntxqrmk3vj\LocalState folder? This should help me understand why it is not saving the password on RT.

Yes I'm using RT, though further testing shows that I get the same result no matter what music app I use, so I blame the OS.

Can you also give details of the USB audio device like Manufacturer, Version etc? I will report this to Microsoft.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
The previous version is actually already up there. We've been helping test the next release, at which point hsalps will presumably release a store update.

netham45

Jun 24, 2009
Denver
Can you send me the PRadioInformation.log file which should be present in %appdata%\..\Local\Packages\28268splashtetra.PRadi o_80qntxqrmk3vj\LocalState folder? This should help me understand why it is not saving the password on RT.
I can't seem to get it to replicate it now. =/

Can you also give details of the USB audio device like Manufacturer, Version etc? I will report this to Microsoft.
I've tried it with two Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 headsets and a generic unlabeled USB audio card.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PRadio is a Windows 8 Store App for Pandora. Unlike IE, this app allows users to stream music from Pandora recommendation service in the background. It works great on tablets such as Microsoft Surface. This app works only in the US. If you want to use it in other countries you need a US based proxy or VPN software such as openvpn.net

screenshot_11162012_171233.png

Features Supported
    * Add radio stations via the search charm
    * Search for Genre, Album, Artist and Songs
    * Delete radio stations via the app bar
    * Pin radio stations to start menu
    * Play/Pause/Skip songs
    * Multimedia Keyboard Support
    * Support for snapped view and portrait layout.
    * History of Songs Played
    * Share Song Information with other applications via share charm
    * Provide feedback for a song
    * Background Streaming
    * Support for touch and tablets

To download the released version please visit the Windows Store and search for PRadio or open the following link in IE.
    http://bit.ly/Yt9qT5
    The app is only available in the US Store, if you are in another country you can switch to the US Store by going to "Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\ Change region."

[Update 12/14/2012]:
    If you want to try out the latest version that will be available shortly on the store you will need to sideload the app. This version supports background music streaming on Surface RT even when the device is locked (Connected Standby).

Please follow the instructions given below:
    1. Download Pandora_0.0.4.8_AnyCPU_Test and unzip to any folder e.g. xyz.
    b) cd xyz\Pandora_0.0.4.8_AnyCPU_Test
    [Note: Installation process might ask you to login to your Microsoft Account which is necessary to get the necessary certificates from the windows store to sign the package]

If you have feedback on the app, please post below.

What is Pandora?
    Pandora Internet Radio, an automated music recommendation service and "custodian" of the Music Genome Project whose service in full is only available in the United States, with limited access in Australia and New Zealand. The service plays musical selections similar to song suggestions entered by a user. The user provides positive or negative feedback for songs chosen by the service, which are taken into account for future selections.

Pandora.jpg

Hi GoodDayToDie or any Surface RT user,

I have created a new version 0.3.3 of the PRadio which hopefully should work in your machine. Can you give it a try? I do not own one yet so I cannot try it myself.

Instructions are given below.

Thanks

Instructions:
    1. Download Pandora_0.0.3.3_AnyCPU_Test and unzip to any folder e.g. xyz.
    b) cd xyz\Pandora_0.0.3.3_AnyCPU_Test
    [Note: It might ask you to login to your Microsoft Account that is necessary to get the necessary certificates to sign the package]
    Its unfortunate that the app was pulled. The Developer was only trying to make his mark in the Windows 8 Store.
    Either way I hope Pandora does release an official app. I highly dislike Google's and Facebook's approach saying "there is not enough market share so we wont make an app for XX platform".
    Facebook said that about the Facebook iPad app and that came off badly.
    Google recently said that when asked about an official Google Drive app for Windows 8.

i am also hoping for an official app but in the mean time i use grafitti, works as well if not better than pradio

this is the link for it

also no ads and unlimited skips
    Hi great app, just one question, why can i not use my forward button on my keyboard to forward the song? Is this a reoccurring problem. I could forward on the actual app, but not from my keyboard

I mentioned this earlier, he said it creates an issue getting the app certified on the store.
    I have PRadio on a few W8 HTPC's I have built, but just built another one and when I went to install PRadio on it... found it is no longer available and then found this thread.

Pandora_0.0.4.8_AnyCPU_Test file is no longer available to download via any links on this thread, so sideloading is not even an option.

Anyone got a spare copy lying around? ;)

This is the last working edition of PRadio. Enjoy!