[Q] Verizon Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" (SCH-i705) Questions

Search This thread
Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
I've done quite a bit of researching but cannot find an answer I'm confident in, so...

Has anyone had success getting telephony to work on these devices? I recently updated to 4.1.2 with the OTA update from this forum. However, before I did that, I was on 4.0.4 (factory), then on the DoubleShot kernel and rom. I rooted, unlocked the boot loader, modified framework-res.apk to enable phone (one of the bools files has a line something like "phone_enabled...>false<...". After doing this, recompiling, and reflashing the rom, I was able to place outgoing "true voice calls" -- no Google Voice, no Groove IP, but a REAL voice call (with 1G or whatever the base mode for voice/SMS is). These calls originated from the VZW number associated with the sim card in the Tab. I was NOT able to receive incoming calls or send/receive SMS text. I tried everything I could think of to get these to work -- no go.

---Fast forward, aver several days of flawless outgoing phone calls---

Flashed the OTA 4.1.2 (and TrustZone and the modem) and everything worked initially. Tried to edit the framework-res.apk again, exactly as before. re-applied the update with CWM (and TZ/modem to be safe) with edited framework-res. CWM said successful, but the device would hang on the boot screen.

Any ideas how to enable phone, or why my previous method didnt work with 4.1.2?

Reactions: BigBot96
Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
Also, if anyone knows how to get rid of the ongoing WiFi notification (even when connected, wifi off, etc), that would be AWESOME! I know some people long-press the notification -> app info -> kill app, and that works until wifi status changes.

Reactions: BigBot96

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
I've actually been trying to figure out the telephony thing myself but could not find it. Glad you did! I'll see if I what I can do also. I'd love to enable telephony on this tab and include it in doubleshotrom. Let me know if you figure it out.

For wifi - view this thread regarding the S3 [HACK] Remove WiFi reminder
It used to work on this tab on 4.0.4, don't know if it changed in 4.1.2

Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
I'm glad you saw this thread MrHyde. I've been following along silently in the development forum (almost to 10 posts haha)

Do you have any ideas what the difference might be between 4.0.4 and 4.1.2 that would cause such a different result (failure to boot after flashing)?

I'm going to try going to the DoubleShot JB kernel (hopefully tonight) and see if it helps. Does the new DoubleShot for JB swap the storage mount points? If it does, how can I disable it? Switching back and forth between installs that don't BOTH do this is becoming a problem for me.

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
For the failure to boot, you need to install the TZ (trust zone). It's listed under the Requirements heading in the DoubleshotROM thread, or you can grab it from the OTA thread.

Yes the new dsr does swap the sdcards. To stop it, three ways:
1. After flashing, use adb (from CWM) or the built in file manager (TWRP) to delete /system/etc/init.d/ExtSd2InternalSd
2. Open up the ROM zip and go to /system/etc/init.d/ExtSd2InternalSd and delete it, then flash
3. Flash it normally, then use a file manager to delete /system/etc/init.d/ExtSd2InternalSd, then reboot.

Edit: just read it again and completely missed the point lol. I dont know why it would fail, but im gonna take a look. Cant imagine its much

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
Decompile framework-res.apk

Look in /res/values/bools.xml

Toward the bottom, a like says something like "phone_enabled=false"

Remember, doing this, I was only able to make outgoing calls--no incoming, no sms.

Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
Now that i have time to look into it more, i think it may have something to do with the non-hlos modem we've flashed for the OTA JB.

do you think this is feasible?

Jan 16, 2013
Any updates on getting telephony to work? What would happen if you flashed the ROM for the Note II onto the tab 2? Or would this work at all? I would really like to make the tab 2 my primary phone.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
I was able to do it with ICS. Ever since I flashed DoubleShot Rom (JB), I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work again. The method that worked for ICS does not work for JB.

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
I've only been able to get an outgoing call, but it goes straight to my own vmail. No other success.

Its personally not that important to me, though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium HD app

Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
I'm getting really close to ending my 25 year business relationship with Verizon. I'm tired of piss-poor service, even though their coverage map indicated solid 4g signal and their representatives confirm I should have good service at my address. It isn't only my home address, but many other locations bi frequent. So one of two things -- either all 5 devices on my account are defective, or their coverage maps are misrepresented. Either way, Sprint is getting better in this area, has the Note II, and is significantly cheaper. And the Tab 3 8.0 is only slightly longer than the SCH-i705.

Jan 16, 2013
Few more questions here.

What did you use to modify the framework-res.apk to enable phone?
What did you use to de-compile, is it a special program or what? Same with recompiling.

I wonder what would happen if you got a SIM card that is used for a phone and used it in the tablet. Would this allow the phone calls and text to come in? This is something I would be willing to try if I could get the tablet to the point that it had the dialer on it.

Next why is it when I go to sammobile.com I am unable to find the SCH-I705 listed at all?

Like I mentioned in an earlier post would it be possible to flash the ROM from a Galaxy Note II or similar phone to the Tab 2?

Thanks.

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
Few more questions here.
What did you use to modify the framework-res.apk to enable phone?
What did you use to de-compile, is it a special program or what? Same with recompiling.
apktool. Look it up and follow instructions to get it working.

I wonder what would happen if you got a SIM card that is used for a phone and used it in the tablet. Would this allow the phone calls and text to come in? This is something I would be willing to try if I could get the tablet to the point that it had the dialer on it.

Next why is it when I go to sammobile.com I am unable to find the SCH-I705 listed at all?

Like I mentioned in an earlier post would it be possible to flash the ROM from a Galaxy Note II or similar phone to the Tab 2?

Thanks.

A SIM card from a cell phone might work if cell data was enabled properly.
sammobile does have 1 firmware version available. I dont know if its still there, but I nabbed it when I saw it.
http://garrettek.com/android/SCH-I705/ROMs/4.1.2/I705VRBLL2_I705VZWBLL2_VZW.zip (VRBLL2 JB 4.1.2 official, tested, working)

No. do not flash Note II ROMs on your tab 2. The ONLY device that is remotely compatible with the tab 2 lte is the verizon gs3. Except, if you flash a vzw gs3 rom, your display drivers won't work properly. Everything else will, but display drivers won't. One way around this is to flash the i705 kernel over top a i535 rom. But even then, no guarantees it won't break your tab.

It worked for me back on 4.0.4 (except the kernel).

RottenEntrailz

Dec 14, 2010
Rutherford
Ok, I no longer have verizon service and would like to know if there is a way to switch it somehow so I can use CM/other roms.
Since I dont have the verizon 4g service and only using the WIFI.
Hope I worded that right.

Anyone?!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've done quite a bit of researching but cannot find an answer I'm confident in, so...

Has anyone had success getting telephony to work on these devices? I recently updated to 4.1.2 with the OTA update from this forum. However, before I did that, I was on 4.0.4 (factory), then on the DoubleShot kernel and rom. I rooted, unlocked the boot loader, modified framework-res.apk to enable phone (one of the bools files has a line something like "phone_enabled...>false<...". After doing this, recompiling, and reflashing the rom, I was able to place outgoing "true voice calls" -- no Google Voice, no Groove IP, but a REAL voice call (with 1G or whatever the base mode for voice/SMS is). These calls originated from the VZW number associated with the sim card in the Tab. I was NOT able to receive incoming calls or send/receive SMS text. I tried everything I could think of to get these to work -- no go.

---Fast forward, aver several days of flawless outgoing phone calls---

Flashed the OTA 4.1.2 (and TrustZone and the modem) and everything worked initially. Tried to edit the framework-res.apk again, exactly as before. re-applied the update with CWM (and TZ/modem to be safe) with edited framework-res. CWM said successful, but the device would hang on the boot screen.

Any ideas how to enable phone, or why my previous method didnt work with 4.1.2?
    Also, if anyone knows how to get rid of the ongoing WiFi notification (even when connected, wifi off, etc), that would be AWESOME! I know some people long-press the notification -> app info -> kill app, and that works until wifi status changes.