[Q] Can anybody modify modem.bin

Search This thread

rkgarg2000

Nov 11, 2013
Hello

I am using i777 modem but this AT&T modem on restarting phone goes to GSM/WCDMA (Auto) mode of network. I think this is because it is written in modem file of its modem. So I want to modify the modem.zip file for setting GSM as default mode.

Can anybody tell how to modify or can give modified file i777 UCKH7 Modem as downloaded from link below

http://xdaforums.com/show...73&postcount=1

Thanks
rkgarg

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Hello

I am using i777 modem but this AT&T modem on restarting phone goes to GSM/WCDMA (Auto) mode of network. I think this is because it is written in modem file of its modem.

It is not hard coded into the modem. It is a setting.

So I want to modify the modem.zip file for setting GSM as default mode.

Can anybody tell how to modify or can give modified file i777 UCKH7 Modem as downloaded from link below

Thanks
rkgarg

You could search something like "I777 force 2g", but I think you will find that it has to be coded into the firmware, because AT&T doesn't want you to do that. You can probably set to 2g through the service menu. I don't know which settings, though. I did find the following:

*#197328640# in your dialer will open the service menu

Debug Screen->Phone Control->Network Control->Aquisition Order->GSM->UMTS

In that screen you can set it to aquire gsm before umts

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Also there is an option to set preferred network type by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and then tap Device information, scroll down and there is a selection box to make ur choice.

Not sure how to make the set choice stick though. It changes, after reboot or if u back out of the Device info, back to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL).
?? Don't know much about this...may be sim dependant as to what will stick. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rkgarg2000

Nov 11, 2013

You could search something like "I777 force 2g", but I think you will find that it has to be coded into the firmware, because AT&T doesn't want you to do that. You can probably set to 2g through the service menu. I don't know which settings, though. I did find the following:

I am not expert but have ported i9100 JB Neat Rom on my i777 with i777UCKH7 modem and Jeboo Kernel v2.2+. If the network settings were from ROM then it should have worked as i9100 has no such problem. But it is with my i777 so it comes from either modem or Kernel. On i777 option also work with *#2263# along with *#197328640# but problem is same on restart phone goes to default option. In i727 if we change network option via dialer then option is retained even after restart. please see if it can be fixed in i777 by ROM or Modem or Kernel modification.

Thanks.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
I am not expert but have ported i9100 JB Neat Rom on my i777 with i777UCKH7 modem and Jeboo Kernel v2.2+. If the network settings were from ROM then it should have worked as i9100 has no such problem. But it is with my i777 so it comes from either modem or Kernel. On i777 option also work with *#2263# along with *#197328640# but problem is same on restart phone goes to default option. In i727 if we change network option via dialer then option is retained even after restart. please see if it can be fixed in i777 by ROM or Modem or Kernel modification.

Thanks.

My (limited) understanding of this issue is that it can be coded into the firmware. Evidently, CyanogenMod at some point in time did have a setting to force 2g on the I777. But this is dependent on the developer of the rom having an interest in doing this specific modification. Now-a-days there are not too many developers actively working on firmware for the I777. Most of them have moved on to newer phones. So if it isn't already there, I doubt you'll get it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello

I am using i777 modem but this AT&T modem on restarting phone goes to GSM/WCDMA (Auto) mode of network. I think this is because it is written in modem file of its modem.

So I want to modify the modem.zip file for setting GSM as default mode.

Thanks
    rkgarg

Also there is an option to set preferred network type by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and then tap Device information, scroll down and there is a selection box to make ur choice.

Not sure how to make the set choice stick though. It changes, after reboot or if u back out of the Device info, back to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL).
    ?? Don't know much about this...may be sim dependant as to what will stick. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

My (limited) understanding of this issue is that it can be coded into the firmware. Evidently, CyanogenMod at some point in time did have a setting to force 2g on the I777. But this is dependent on the developer of the rom having an interest in doing this specific modification. Now-a-days there are not too many developers actively working on firmware for the I777. Most of them have moved on to newer phones. So if it isn't already there, I doubt you'll get it.