Factory reset with root?

Search This thread

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
I updated to 4.4.2 on att with root but now I want factory reset to make sure its fresh so I can get maximum battery life. Anyway I can do that with going all the way back to stock through rsd? Since the stock recovery is not there from rooting.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
I have a locked bootloader. The stock recovery isn't there because the way I rooted my phone it removed it I believe.

JJHunterx

Mar 25, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, by taking the OTA, it flashed the stock recovery, which is why it re-enables write protection.

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
Why can't I factory reset through the settings then? The phone just reboots on any option I select.

JJHunterx

Mar 25, 2011
Well, I must be mistaken lol.

You could fastboot and erase userdata, davlik, and cache I think.

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
This is the message I get doing that:
Partition (recovery) security version downgraded
Fastboot reason: boot failure

Then I have the option to normal reboot, recovery, and factory, and two other options. Selecting the second or third does nothing and ends up just rebooting the phone.

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
Hopefully somebody can help. I rooted a while back but didn't use rsdlite because it didn't recognize my phone, couldn't get the drivers installed correctly. So I used the method with mfastboot I believe where I manually flashed all the files and had to change one file to att from Verizon for the radio I think. Its been a while and I don't remember the whole process so hopefully somebody can shine a light on a much simpler method of going back.

rocketsaucev2

Dec 6, 2012
If you rooted via the exploits here on xda (slap my Moto, etc) then it replaced your stock recovery with write protection disabled version of Android. You need to download an sbf and extract the recovery image and flash it via fastboot

-Eclipsed Moto X-

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
If you rooted via the exploits here on xda (slap my Moto, etc) then it replaced your stock recovery with write protection disabled version of Android. You need to download an sbf and extract the recovery image and flash it via fastboot

-Eclipsed Moto X-

Will I be able to do that even if my bootloader is locked? If so, I just find the correct 4.4.2 recovery.img and then flash via fastboot?

rocketsaucev2

Dec 6, 2012
Will I be able to do that even if my bootloader is locked? If so, I just find the correct 4.4.2 recovery.img and then flash via fastboot?

Yes, you can fastboot commands with a locked bootloader. It shouldn't NEED to be your carriers sbf that you take the recovery from but it wouldn't hurt. If you know how to fastboot, you know to put the recovery image in the same directory as your fastboot

-Eclipsed Moto X-

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
Yes, you can fastboot commands with a locked bootloader. It shouldn't NEED to be your carriers sbf that you take the recovery from but it wouldn't hurt. If you know how to fastboot, you know to put the recovery image in the same directory as your fastboot

-Eclipsed Moto X-

Thank you so much I will try doing that.

Edit: well I downloaded the t mobile sbf and extracted it and took the recovery out since the att sbf is not out. When trying to flash it in fastboot I get a preflash validation error and it doesn't go through. Tried it multiple times.

Last edited:

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
Well this is frustrating. Tried using mfastboot command instead of fastboot and still get the preflash validation error.

Edit: I feel like I messed up. After reading up on the internet I think I should have flashed the stock recovery before taking the ota update to 4.4.2 because now I am very limited on what I can do aside from unlocking my bootloader I guess.. if that's even still possible through the guy in China although I would rather prefer not to do that. :(

Last edited:

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I updated to 4.4.2 on att with root but now I want factory reset to make sure its fresh so I can get maximum battery life. Anyway I can do that with going all the way back to stock through rsd? Since the stock recovery is not there from rooting.
The full SBF for ATT 4.4.2 hasn't leaked yet. When it does it will be put up on -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

Until then, an alternate way to reboot the phone in bootloader/fastboot mode, and issue the following commands...

mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase data
mfastboot reboot

If you are struggling to get into bootloader/fastboot mode... with your phone booted normally, usb debugging enabled, and ADB and its drivers properly installed and added to your PC's path... connect the phone to the PC via USB cable, open a command prompt and issue the following...

adb reboot bootloader

However, the OTA will only install if you have a stock recovery on your phone. The message about "Partition (recovery) security version downgraded" tells me you may have the Stock Recovery from 4.4 or 4.2.2 on your phone, rather than 4.4.2.

Since the ATT 4.4.2 SBF isn't out yet, try downloading the Verizon or T-Mobile 4.4.2 rom from -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 unzip it... and use fastboot to flash that recovery.img to your phone..

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

---------- Post added at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Edit: I feel like I messed up. After reading up on the internet I think I should have flashed the stock recovery before taking the ota update to 4.4.2 because now I am very limited on what I can do aside from unlocking my bootloader I guess.. if that's even still possible through the guy in China although I would rather prefer not to do that. :(

Correct. If you have a locked bootloader, and took the 4.4.2 update, you might retain root. but you lose the "Write Protection Disable" that MotoWpNoMo gave you.

On 4.4.2, there is no way to disable write protection unless you can unlock your bootloader. If you lose root, on 4.4.2 there is no way to root.

If you flash the 4.4.2 SBF you wont be able to root and disable write protection if you can't unlock your bootloader. And don't try to downgrade to 4.4 or lower.

If you have ATT, the Chinese web site was the only option to unlock your bootloader, however that seems to have ended.

Last edited:

dimasp6

Jul 3, 2010
The full SBF for ATT 4.4.2 hasn't leaked yet. When it does it will be put up on -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

Until then, an alternate way to reboot the phone in bootloader/fastboot mode, and issue the following commands...

mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase data
mfastboot reboot

If you are struggling to get into bootloader/fastboot mode... with your phone booted normally, usb debugging enabled, and ADB and its drivers properly installed and added to your PC's path... connect the phone to the PC via USB cable, open a command prompt and issue the following...

adb reboot bootloader

However, the OTA will only install if you have a stock recovery on your phone. The message about "Partition (recovery) security version downgraded" tells me you may have the Stock Recovery from 4.4 or 4.2.2 on your phone, rather than 4.4.2.

Since the ATT 4.4.2 SBF isn't out yet, try downloading the Verizon or T-Mobile 4.4.2 rom from -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 unzip it... and use fastboot to flash that recovery.img to your phone..

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

---------- Post added at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Correct. If you have a locked bootloader, and took the 4.4.2 update, you might retain root. but you lose the "Write Protection Disable" that MotoWpNoMo gave you.

On 4.4.2, there is no way to disable write protection unless you can unlock your bootloader. If you lose root, on 4.4.2 there is no way to root.

If you flash the 4.4.2 SBF you wont be able to root and disable write protection if you can't unlock your bootloader. And don't try to downgrade to 4.4 or lower.

If you have ATT, the Chinese web site was the only option to unlock your bootloader, however that seems to have ended.

Thanks I will try that. Weird thing is I was able to upgrade to 4.4.2 without the stock recovery.

Edit: mfastboot erase cache worked but erase data did not. I got a message saying invalid partition name data, FAILED (remote failure) and then finished with a total time. The problem with simply flashing the stock recovery from a 4.4.2 T-Mobile sbf through fastboot is that I get the security version downgraded message. I'm not sure what else I could try.

Last edited:

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks I will try that. Weird thing is I was able to upgrade to 4.4.2 without the stock recovery.
You had to have some sort of stock recovery on there.. The OTA will only install via stock recovery. If you don't have stock recovery on the phone, you'll get stuck in a boot loop of it trying to install.

Now, its possible to modify the OTA file to install from say TWRP or CWM recoveries, but with a locked bootloader, you can't flash them onto the phone, and you can't flash a modified OTA file..

So that is why I'm thinking you have the stock recovery from an older rom than what is on your phone... especially with the "security version downgraded" message. Its very likely you have mismatched file/partition versions on your phone. If that is the case, its a very dangerous place to be, as doing the wrong thing could cause your phone to brick.

Reactions: dimasp6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You had to have some sort of stock recovery on there.. The OTA will only install via stock recovery. If you don't have stock recovery on the phone, you'll get stuck in a boot loop of it trying to install.

Now, its possible to modify the OTA file to install from say TWRP or CWM recoveries, but with a locked bootloader, you can't flash them onto the phone, and you can't flash a modified OTA file..

So that is why I'm thinking you have the stock recovery from an older rom than what is on your phone... especially with the "security version downgraded" message. Its very likely you have mismatched file/partition versions on your phone. If that is the case, its a very dangerous place to be, as doing the wrong thing could cause your phone to brick.