In store phone speeds vs Bought out of the box

Search This thread

RanChan03

Mar 22, 2011
So i was in a sprint store yesterday, upgrading my wife's phone to the S5. I was looking at the demo phones on display and i know those are on the new Spark Network.

So i did a speed test on both of the s5s and they were showing between 55 and 60mb down, and about 5-8 mb up

I went to the s3 that was on demo display and did a speed test on that phone, since they aren't on the spark network i would expect it to be lower.

It showed me 3-4 mb down and less than 1mb up

When my wife just bought her GS5, after all the activations and setup, we immediately did a speed test on the phone in the store, and it was abysmal

less than 1mb down, and even less than 1 mb up

So i am wondering, is there a difference in the Store phones Vs what's bought out of the box.

Were there any configuration changes done in the secret menus that aren't widely advertised? or am i missing something?

Attachments

• IMG_20140508_190509.jpg
    IMG_20140508_190509.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 109

JollyGrnReefer

Jul 5, 2011
Colorado Springs
The phones are usually connected to a in-store wifi network, so the speed of the actual network is inaccurate. The main problem with Sprint's network is that they have the slowest internet speeds, thats the reason why they offer 100% unlimited data. If your not fortunate to live in a LTE market, your probably gonna be relying on open wifi networks to keep yourself sane. If you want fast and reliable, go with Verizon, but your gonna be paying a premium price. But, you might want to think about a prepaid phone, and use blank phone on wifi as a media device if you want to be cheap. The only guarantee you get with Sprint is unlimited everytthing, but speed is never promised.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
The phones are usually connected to a in-store wifi network, so the speed of the actual network is inaccurate. The main problem with Sprint's network is that they have the slowest internet speeds, thats the reason why they offer 100% unlimited data. If your not fortunate to live in a LTE market, your probably gonna be relying on open wifi networks to keep yourself sane. If you want fast and reliable, go with Verizon, but your gonna be paying a premium price. But, you might want to think about a prepaid phone, and use blank phone on wifi as a media device if you want to be cheap. The only guarantee you get with Sprint is unlimited everytthing, but speed is never promised.

The phone he is displaying is not on WIFI. The Store could have it's own AIRAVE though.

The stores I've visited appear to be on the public cell network.