[Q] Is there any way to delete 'messages' app from phone???

Search This thread

Cranfillc

Jul 20, 2010
I was wondering if there is any way to delete the messages app from the phone and run a password protected sms app from the market? I've also thought about an app that would just hide the messages app, password protected of course. I haven't seen anything like this yet though. I have already searched the forums but haven't came up with anything really. I'm not a noob to Android by any means and I'm pretty tech savvy, So I'm open to options. Any help would be appreciated.

I am currently running Ava-FroyoV5 on my Evo. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance.

superlinkx

Aug 9, 2009
If you have NAND unlocked, and I'm pretty sure you do, you should be able to find the messages app in /system/app (I think it should be there) and remove it. There is one problem with that and that is I'm not sure if it could cause system instability. There are some apps you should never remove. I think messages is safe, but not entirely sure.

Also, there are apps that let you password protect apps. I'll try to find one and post back, but they do exist on the market. This is what I recommend.

EDIT: I found two highly rated apps: App Protector and AndLock. AndLock has some neat features, but is paid. App Protector has a Lite and Pro version, so you can try it before you dedicate to buy it. Both seem to be really good, but I haven't tested them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Shigster

Jun 9, 2010
with handcent, there is an option under security
Security->security level->protect stock messaging also

and in handcent just make sure you set up a pass or a pattern lock and it should protect both.

Cranfillc

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks to both of you. I ended up going with app protector. This was exactly what I was looking for and I will end up paying for this app. Thank you again guys.

afflikt3d

Mar 2, 2009
Just wanted to chime in real quick in case anyone else thinks off removing the stock messaging app. I tried it out, and it broke messaging all together. I would get notifications of messages, butt they wouldn't appear in the threads. Had to reinstall messaging in order for it to work again.

That is all, you may return to your regular programming.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

in4nerd

Aug 9, 2010
PHX
didnt read..so here's this:

Root:

adb devices

adb remount

adb shell

rm system/app/amazonmp3.apk <<-in your case would be replaced with Mms.apk

Then check to make sure:

cd system

cd app

ls

But why remove? just edit Mms.apk till you get it the way you like..I actually like it

ps 11minute time frame difference was due to 4chan..weird stuff out there

anyway..
here's proof

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 18
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 19
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg