HP Touchpad Overclocking Question

Search This thread

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just recently got a touchpad. After reading around, I found out the 64gb version is clocked at 1.5ghz. I have a 32.

Both seem to have the S3 APQ8060 CPU, which is 1.2-1.5ghz. Does this mean the touchpad is technically overclocked..ie..100% safe to OC to 1.5?

Thanks!

chicle_11

Jan 24, 2011
Miami, Florida
Just recently got a touchpad. After reading around, I found out the 64gb version is clocked at 1.5ghz. I have a 32.

Both seem to have the S3 APQ8060 CPU, which is 1.2-1.5ghz. Does this mean the touchpad is technically overclocked..ie..100% safe to OC to 1.5?

Thanks!

The 64 gb are clocked at 1.5, the 16 & 32 gb are underclocked at 1.2........

In webos I have it oc'd to 1.7 max, 384 min. using Uberquernel and the preware speed tweaks. In android, I oc to 1.7 max, 384 min using Antutu CPU Master.

I have had no issues, but others have. Make sure you have a good backup, just in case.

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The 64 gb are clocked at 1.5, the 16 & 32 gb are underclocked at 1.2........

In webos I have it oc'd to 1.7 max, 384 min. using Uberquernel and the preware speed tweaks. In android, I oc to 1.7 max, 384 min using Antutu CPU Master.

I have had no issues, but others have. Make sure you have a good backup, just in case.

I did!

My question was more regarding the hardware. Why is the Same model # of CPU clocked lower for the 16/32 verions??

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
Also while manufacturing chips for same speed, not every chip will achieve the same clocking...keeping everything same one chip can go to 1.9 while other can just go 1.5...so most manufacturer sets at stable frequency..so that every chip can achieve that

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Most Touchpads can easily do 1.5 since that's the rated speed of the chip.

1.7 or higher is not within specifications and not all TP's can do it. I have one that runs 1.7 right now without issue, but the last two I had refused to go above 1.5.

wpra3

May 29, 2011
Melbourne
The reason has something to do with the nature of the cpu making process. Just to let you know, there are some variants of desktop cpu even though they have same architecture, take i7 for example, why do you think one sells more expensive than the other? The reason being the most expensive one (9 series) has least defect in the cpu, enable it to utilize the most transistors and this is pretty rare, therefore they priced higher.

All cpu were made in the same process, the one that have more defects will priced lower, they in fact shut down the defective part and mark them 'more energy efficient' while they are effectively running less transistor.

The same thing happened here, not all cpu is perfect, so not all cpu can be clocked high. So they decided to take 1.2ghz, as it is probably where most manufactured cpu able to cope with. i.e. if you device can run 2ghz or more that mean you get the almost perfect cpu, as simple as that.

Remolten

Mar 11, 2012
My Touchpad overclocked in WebOS @ 1.7 but can't get higher without it crashing. In Android however, using Bricked Kernel on CM Official Nightlies I can reach 2.02 Ghz (not stable without vcore changes but could be stable, just keep in mind of how warm the Touchpad's getting) and 2.157 Ghz (with unsafe voltages for benchmark suicide runs).

MikeCriggs

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 24, 2010
Catskills, NY
twitter.com

Thanks!

With the right governor and profiles, 1.5GHz is not an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2