Gingerbread OTA To Be Released "soon"

Search This thread

cleveratticus

Feb 15, 2011
North Little Rock
My father works for Verizon Wireless and he came back with a few swag bags of stuff and some news about some of Verizon's plans.
Verizon is about to change their radio to allow features like talk and web at the same time for all "newer" model phones with certain chipsets. The Incredible is one of them. Also, 2.3 update is coming "soon." The HTC Rep. that he spoke with would say nothing more on the matter.

Thanks for reading.

kthung

Apr 25, 2011
Hmm... I was under the impression that it was the CDMA network technology that limited simultaneous talk/data. I could be wrong but if that were the case I don't know how they would be able to enable that on existing DIncs without physically changing chipsets on each device. Can someone correct me on this?

renzo.olivares

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm... I was under the impression that it was the CDMA network technology that limited simultaneous talk/data. I could be wrong but if that were the case I don't know how they would be able to enable that on existing DIncs without physically changing chipsets on each device. Can someone correct me on this?

Well either we already had the capability but verizon just figured out how to unlock it or the simultaneous talk/data the rep is talking about is for the htc droid incredible 2 since their radio chipset is newer...but we will get GB before the end of the month

bbeelzebub

May 11, 2010
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm pretty sure it's a no for the DINC, the DINC 2 will though, as it supports SVDO.

From my understanding the Thunderbolt was the first phone to support SVDO on Verizon and I imagine they used the same type of chip on the DINC2 since it was the next HTC phone out of the gate. I think it was just in trial still on the TBolt.

Just found on the net that it would need to have a MSM Qualcomm chip, the original DINC has a QSD Qualcomm chip.

Last edited:

refthemc

Jun 23, 2008
Southern California
Well either we already had the capability but verizon just figured out how to unlock it or the simultaneous talk/data the rep is talking about is for the htc droid incredible 2 since their radio chipset is newer...but we will get GB before the end of the month

I would think it was for the Inc2, I doubt Inc1 has the Hardware to do it. Feel lazy to research but I swear I remember reading TBolt was the first with the Hardware to support it.

renzo.olivares

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2011
Yup he meant the inc2 only cdma/gsm phones have data/talk capability and the inc2 is one of them the thunderbolt is also on of them since it runs on a cdma netowrk but 4g lte is gsm technology the OG Inc is pure cdma

bbeelzebub

May 11, 2010
Beverly Hills, CA
It has nothing to do with CDMA or LTE per se.

Verizon has always used EV-DO. The evolution of that is SVDO which is a single pipe for Voice and Data. Qualcomm did not make chips that supported that until the MSM series of chips. They stated that all MSM chips in 2009 forward would support SVDO.

Go on Wikipedia and it lists all the Qualcomm chips and shows which phones use which chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)

Last edited:

fpatano

Jul 19, 2009
According to the specifications of the Incredible the processor is "Qualcomm® QSD8650, 1GHz Snapdragon™" per http://www.htc.com/us/products/droid-incredible-verizon#tech-specs, so the hardware according to that assumption, MSM chips are SVDO capable is not valid. That same Wikipedia page states that the MSM7630 chip in the Shift 4G has SVDO capabilities, not the Incredible.

So, even though I would love for simultaneous voice/data on my Dinc, alas I dont think its true.

Cheers!
:(

Thats while using Wi-Fi lol. It doesn't work like this over just 3G.

Sent from my Droid Incredible running CM7.0.3.

Hadn't thought of that. I guess the "couple of months" that I was taking about is when I started leaving wifi on 24/7 because it improves my gps accuracy. I guess I never noticed that the simultaneous talk and data only works in my apartment (if I had, I would've figured out the culprit)

Well don't I feel silly :p

razor2006

Mar 7, 2011
If it weren't for the bloatware I wouldn't mind running on the new Sense stock. As it stands now, I'll just wait for the ROM devs to pick up the new stock stuff and incorporate it.

So flash it and use Titanium Backup to freeze all of the bloat. That's what I did. Been happily running it since the day it leaked.