[APP][2.2+]Assistive Zoom - One finger zoom control in any browser (ROOT) test needed

Search This thread

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
NOTE: This App is ROOT required

First time on Android device. This App allows you to send pinch to zoom in/out event on any window with JUST ONE FINGER. So when you are only one hand free, and want to zoom in a web page, Assistive Zoom can help you big time. Just hold on the floating zoom button of Assistive Zoom and move up/down to control the scale factor. This App works in any pinch to zoom enabled window or App.

Since this is my first release and due the the fragmentation of Android system, I am not sure it works on all kind of platforms. I have tested on my 2.2, 4.0, 4,1, 4.2 devices without a problem. So please help to test if it works on your device. If you experience any problem, please let me know. Also, any suggestion is welcome.

[Features]
☆ Works in any pinch to zoom enabled window
☆ Floating trigger button can be disabled/enabled at anytime
☆ Control scale ration at finest level
☆ 3 styles of trigger icon to choose from
☆ Customizable triggering and zooming options
☆ Works from Froyo (2.2) to latest Jelly Bean (4.2)

[Download]
(1) Playstore Link [HERE]
(2) Attachment below.

[Video By Robert Olejnik]

FAQ
(1) Why it doesn't work?
Ans: This App requires root to function properly. If you are greeted by message your device is not rooted upon launching the App first time, then you probably have an unrooted device.

(2) Why webpage scales unexpectedly?
Ans: Please enable alternative pinch action

(3) Why some text on a webpage is automatically selected after scale is finished?
Ans: Please disable alternative pinch action

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,384
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,317
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,315
  • AssistiveZoom1.apk
    721.1 KB · Views: 1,794
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4580957

Very convenient! Although, I suggest that the icon for the zoom could look a bit more minimal and nice looking. Other than that, it's very good!

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
Very convenient! Although, I suggest that the icon for the zoom could look a bit more minimal and nice looking. Other than that, it's very good!

I will add more zoom button styles in later release. If you want minimal design, there is a style called Hilo in trigger icon style. Also, you can set lower transparency value in auto dim transparency setting to make zoom button even less obstructive looking.

fanfan-liu

Aug 27, 2010
hi,
currently u cant move vertically. I am still finding a good way to do it. The problem is if zoom button is not centered vertically, user will get unequal distance in either vertical direction to triggernzoom action.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

If this is the main concern, then you will have same problem if you want to integrate this function in Button Savior.

Bob422

Jul 23, 2013
Hi, new user to the forum and expecting my first tablet, Sony Xperia Tablet Z on Thursday.
I stumbled across this forum and thread while searching for Android apps that might be able to zoom in/out with one finger. I am a high level quadriplegic and use a capacitive mouthstick made by griffin for touchscreens since I cannot use my arms/hands/fingers. I am looking forward to seeing this app progress to the point that I can use it. Being new to tablets, I am not going to be comfortable rooting a brand new device that I have much to learn about, but maybe after a few weeks I'll be ready to experiment and help test this app.

I am just excited to see that someone is trying to develop such an app, so kudos to jerryfan2000!:)

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
If this is the main concern, then you will have same problem if you want to integrate this function in Button Savior.

yes, this feature would poses some challenges to me on Button Savior if I want to make it as easy and simple to use as it is right now on Assistive Zoom. So far, the best solution I figure out is to show a separate zoom button at middle of screen upon tapping on Zoom Button on Button Savior. So that would require user to press 2 times compared to 1 touch to zoom on Assistive Zoom.

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
Hi, new user to the forum and expecting my first tablet, Sony Xperia Tablet Z on Thursday.
I stumbled across this forum and thread while searching for Android apps that might be able to zoom in/out with one finger. I am a high level quadriplegic and use a capacitive mouthstick made by griffin for touchscreens since I cannot use my arms/hands/fingers. I am looking forward to seeing this app progress to the point that I can use it. Being new to tablets, I am not going to be comfortable rooting a brand new device that I have much to learn about, but maybe after a few weeks I'll be ready to experiment and help test this app.

I am just excited to see that someone is trying to develop such an app, so kudos to jerryfan2000!:)

It is glad to know it has potential to help you. Rooting is not as harsnor dangerous as you think. You still need to manually grant root permission to any App that requests root. And you can also unroot at any time if you need to send your device back for repair.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Welcome.

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
I think this would be great for use with mice or the S-pen, but I have 2 suggestions that would improve on it.

1: allow (homescreen) shortcuts to enable, disable, and toggle the service so it's easy to automate it with apps like tasker and GMD S-pen control.

2: undo dimming upon "mouse over"/hover for supported devices like a mouse, or Samsung airview(Note 2/8, S4)
this would make the icon easier to find if it's set to hide completely.

edit:I noticed a small problem that makes this app useless in some apps.
in opera mobile classic it only switches between zoomed out and standard(double tap) zoom states, nothing in between.
and in the image viewer built into FX File Explorer you can only switch between zoomed in completely, and zoomed out completely.

Last edited:

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I just started testing the pro version, and find it to be a great app. It's particularly useful to me when operating my Note II with one hand.

My first suggestion is to enable faster zoom speeds.

Census Taker

Jun 7, 2008
Chinnor
Tis is a really great idea. I tried it for five minutes and then bought the Pro version.

Well done and very many thanks for a great app! :)

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
I think this would be great for use with mice or the S-pen, but I have 2 suggestions that would improve on it.

1: allow (homescreen) shortcuts to enable, disable, and toggle the service so it's easy to automate it with apps like tasker and GMD S-pen control.

2: undo dimming upon "mouse over"/hover for supported devices like a mouse, or Samsung airview(Note 2/8, S4)
this would make the icon easier to find if it's set to hide completely.

edit:I noticed a small problem that makes this app useless in some apps.
in opera mobile classic it only switches between zoomed out and standard(double tap) zoom states, nothing in between.
and in the image viewer built into FX File Explorer you can only switch between zoomed in completely, and zoomed out completely.

Hi,
Both suggestions are good Idea. I will take them. I don't have s pen device but I can try mouse over with my nexus 7. I am not sure is it possible to detect mouse over in Android but I will try.

For problem with opera and image view, you can try testing again with alternative pinch fix on or off. I will also try it on my phone. But if you have discontinuous zoom problem, alternative pinch action toggle is always the first to try.

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
mouse-over is definitely possible on android, many websites rely on this for their menu and those websites work fine in opera mobile classic if I use a stylus or mouse.
Photoshop touch, and many Samsung apps support it through airview.
and the xtralogic remote desktop app can track the mouse cursor so the remote cursor follows the android cursor.

and I did test the different zoom methods, but there was no difference.
particularly in FX it's annoying, because it's zoom levels are so far apart and it doesn't have double-tap zoom.

jtschanz

Mar 4, 2013
Portland
Nice app!!

This is a great app - I've been looking for something like this! Works well for my GSII on Android 4.1.2. I just saw that the Pro version allows to control whether or not the zoom is shown per app, so I'm going to have to give that a try. Ideally I'd just like to have the assistive zoom for a few apps: Chrome, Evernote, etc. ...

thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: This App is ROOT required

First time on Android device. This App allows you to send pinch to zoom in/out event on any window with JUST ONE FINGER. So when you are only one hand free, and want to zoom in a web page, Assistive Zoom can help you big time. Just hold on the floating zoom button of Assistive Zoom and move up/down to control the scale factor. This App works in any pinch to zoom enabled window or App.

Since this is my first release and due the the fragmentation of Android system, I am not sure it works on all kind of platforms. I have tested on my 2.2, 4.0, 4,1, 4.2 devices without a problem. So please help to test if it works on your device. If you experience any problem, please let me know. Also, any suggestion is welcome.

[Features]
    ☆ Works in any pinch to zoom enabled window
    ☆ Floating trigger button can be disabled/enabled at anytime
    ☆ Control scale ration at finest level
    ☆ 3 styles of trigger icon to choose from
    ☆ Customizable triggering and zooming options
    ☆ Works from Froyo (2.2) to latest Jelly Bean (4.2)

[Download]
    (1) Playstore Link [HERE]
    (2) Attachment below.

[Video By Robert Olejnik]

FAQ
    (1) Why it doesn't work?
    Ans: This App requires root to function properly. If you are greeted by message your device is not rooted upon launching the App first time, then you probably have an unrooted device.

(2) Why webpage scales unexpectedly?
    Ans: Please enable alternative pinch action

(3) Why some text on a webpage is automatically selected after scale is finished?
    Ans: Please disable alternative pinch action
    Option already tried. It refused to work. What that option does?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda app-developers app

Oh. That option is a toggle for sending a finger up event at the end of pinch to zoom. I don't know why, but a normal pinch motion should work like this sequence: first finger down -> 2nd finger down, both finger move inward or outward -> first finger up, 2nd finger up. But on my S3, the last finger up action must be skipped. Otherwise, the pinch to zoom action will trigger long press. However, on my other handset, I have to simulate the complete sequence. Otherwise, the pinch motion will be discontinued. Due to the fragmentation of Android, so I have to provide a toggle for this so that at least one will work.
    could we have a android 7.1 version of this? ! :D