[Q] Phone overheating with serious battery drain?

Search This thread

cloakzore

Oct 11, 2012
So this started happening out of nowhere yesterday. All of a sudden the phone started getting VERY hot and draining battery like crazy. My first thought was to check battery stats and see if a new app update was draining battery, but nothing out of the ordinary. So I powered the phone off to let it cool down. Weirdest thing I've seen, but it stayed hot for over an hour while turned off, and when I turned back on it had drained over 70% battery. I did a full wipe to try to resolve the issue but no luck.

Seems like it's a hardware problem at this point but I was hoping somebody might be able to offer some insight. Any ideas? Thanks!

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
So this started happening out of nowhere yesterday. All of a sudden the phone started getting VERY hot and draining battery like crazy. My first thought was to check battery stats and see if a new app update was draining battery, but nothing out of the ordinary. So I powered the phone off to let it cool down. Weirdest thing I've seen, but it stayed hot for over an hour while turned off, and when I turned back on it had drained over 70% battery. I did a full wipe to try to resolve the issue but no luck.

Seems like it's a hardware problem at this point but I was hoping somebody might be able to offer some insight. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mine did this for a while while I was trying out the stock firmware. It got so hot it burned. So I contacted HTC and they said 270$ to fix it. I didn't bother with them and Verizon just wanted me to use their edge program. Instead I flashed Viper room and the issue stopped. Haven't had any issues since then regarding battery drain or over heating. What are you running for software. If your running stock try a custom rom. Also to help battery I recommend using greenify it makes a big difference.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cloakzore

Oct 11, 2012
Mine did this for a while while I was trying out the stock firmware. It got so hot it burned. So I contacted HTC and they said 270$ to fix it. I didn't bother with them and Verizon just wanted me to use their edge program. Instead I flashed Viper room and the issue stopped. Haven't had any issues since then regarding battery drain or over heating. What are you running for software. If your running stock try a custom rom. Also to help battery I recommend using greenify it makes a big difference.

I'm running CM11 and have been for months. I'll try flashing over a Sense ROM and see if it makes any difference.

The thing that gets me is it happens even when I'm booted into recovery, so it shouldn't matter what ROM is installed on it.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
I'm running CM11 and have been for months. I'll try flashing over a Sense ROM and see if it makes any difference.

The thing that gets me is it happens even when I'm booted into recovery, so it shouldn't matter what ROM is installed on it.

It's probably hardware related then. If your within the 1 year warranty HTC will replace it. If not your gonna have to pay to get it fixed or maybe Verizon can help you out.