[Sprint] Galaxy Mega ( SPH-L600 ) 4.4.2 KatKat OTA Update

Search This thread

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
Well I pulled my OTA and will be updating as soon as I have the chance. In case anyone with a Sprint variant wants it now, here you go.

Showing KitKat NE4 dropped on Open Source L600VPUBNE4

Official Sprint Mega KitKat OTA.zip

As with all Official Updates, you need to have stock recovery loaded and be unrooted. This is flashed via stock recovery only and not custom recovery. If you have problems with the update I suggest you update via flashing through Odin with the Official NE4 KitKat Update.

This update does state you will not be able to downgrade the bootloader once done but if that really doesnt worry you or could care less then please proceed. Like many other Samsung devices, I am pretty sure one can flash a custom MK1 or NA7 Rom with the newer bootloader ( if one was available for us Sprint owners... ) all as long as you do not try to downgrade the newer NE4 bootloader back to the previous NA7 bootloader. As always you all should know what to do with the update.zip file so be safe and enjoy......

=====================================================
One way to gain root on your Sprint Galaxy Mega 6.3 ( SPH-L600 ) w/ Firmware NE4 ( KitKat )
Using PhilZ Touch Recovery Thank you @Phil3759
Post#20 <------- click here

Official Stock Firmware tar.md5 ( 1.19 GB )
L600VPUBNE4 Firmware <------- click here

Last edited:

hkleiner

Jan 23, 2010
Finally!! Thanks for that. Now we just need a rooted full install :)

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: silky45

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona

Well it's easily rooted via Recovery. Just Odin Philz or TWRP and root through there. Once rebooted install SuperSU or Superuser via Playstore . Once installed open the APK and update the binaries. Should be rooted after. I have done this to all my phones including the wifes listed below and all are rooted.

I have also made a flashable Deodex zip for NA7 and will be making one for NE4 as soon as I have the chance.

hkleiner

Jan 23, 2010
What Philz version did you Odin? I could only find a twrp for the att version which I have been using.

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
Thank you very much. :good:

No problem.

What Philz version did you Odin? I could only find a twrp for the att version which I have been using.

Remember that flashing a custom Recovery to root will raise your Knox Count up.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588661
- Galaxy Mega i9205 (meliusltexx)

Many phone structures are similar that one could use one from a different carrier when sticking to the same model phone. Now this is not the case all the time though. PhilZ has combined some recoveries for some phones in their respective models though. Just have to be sure before you flash and know what you are doing.

If one has ever tried making or read up on making a custom recovery and one was not available for ones device, you could essentially grab the files needed from other similar devices to build the recovery for your device. Just have to look around.

Last edited:
Reactions: izzibew26

hkleiner

Jan 23, 2010
The posted update might be corrupt, because after I extract the update.zip file, I can't open update zip. It says can't open as archive.

Thanks.

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
The posted update might be corrupt, because after I extract the update.zip file, I can't open update zip. It says can't open as archive.

Thanks.

It will not allow one to really open the update, trust me I tried right away to try and pull the stock recovery image to make into a flashable Odin file. I was going to try by other means but I ran out of time and had to come to work. I zipped the official update.zip file to upload it right when I got home for members here to have. You can't unzip further than update.zip. When I tried to unzip ( I can't recall the program I used ) it did advised me it was a signed file.

You must place it in your External Memory card ( not Root or sdCard0 ) and flash via stock recovery. It is an official OTA. If you recieve the official OTA it will be located in your Root/cache/ directory.

On a different note....... I just finished Deodexing the APK's and Jar files and flashed them via recovery and all went well. I am now able to start modding some files and add some toggles if possible and undo the file transfer permission issue that kitkat has done to secure the OS. I am going to try and add the flashlight toggle if I can as that has been one of my goals for this phone.

Last edited:

StriickeN

Jul 27, 2013
I tried the root and it didn't work :( Can anyone help me out with what exact files I need? I know what to do I just have no idea which files to use.

vwbug2007

Aug 26, 2010
There is no such thing as 4.4.2 only recent sprint update 4.2.2 ota were out and version changwd from mk1 to na7 only mk1 or before can be root but na7 cant be roited only way is downgrade to mk1 and root it

Sent from my SPH-L600 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Also use ota rootkeeper on mk1 before the na7 ota update

waltm78

Mar 12, 2012
Mays Landing, NJ
I used ODIN to flash stock rom. Then allowed the OTA to dl and install. Then I flashed latest Philz Recovery and rooted from that. Then I updated superSU binaries. I used sd fix for my sd card and began reinstalling my apps using backups from titanium. All good things.

uploadfromtaptalk1403440709707.jpg

asteetva

Sep 16, 2011
Plano,TX
I think I bricked my phone can some one help me?

I used ODIN to flash stock rom. Then allowed the OTA to dl and install. Then I flashed latest Philz Recovery and rooted from that. Then I updated superSU binaries. I used sd fix for my sd card and began reinstalling my apps using backups from titanium. All good things.

View attachment 2811633

I ODINed to stock NA7 then allowed update worked fine. Then I installed Philz recovery and made a huge mistake wiped every thing, so Now I do not have operating system. Tried going back to NA7 but it fails. Tried installing recovery and then Stock ROM provided by Silesh Nair. It works, but still can not go back to NA7 to fo 4.4.2 update.

If anyone has any idea how to resolve it I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

dyra502

May 21, 2009
Da-ville
I ODINed to stock NA7 then allowed update worked fine. Then I installed Philz recovery and made a huge mistake wiped every thing, so Now I do not have operating system. Tried going back to NA7 but it fails. Tried installing recovery and then Stock ROM provided by Silesh Nair. It works, but still can not go back to NA7 to fo 4.4.2 update.

If anyone has any idea how to resolve it I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
go back to mk1 and start back all over it will update to na7 then to 4.4.2 that what I did

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
There is no such thing as 4.4.2 only recent sprint update 4.2.2 ota were out and version changwd from mk1 to na7 only mk1 or before can be root but na7 cant be roited only way is downgrade to mk1 and root it

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

So you are saying there is no 4.4.2 Kitkat update and the Open Source website are mistaken as well.

Look at my original post and see for yourself. This is for the Sprint Mega SPH-L600 Phone. I have rooted all my Samsung Galaxy phones via Custom recovery using Philz or TWRP. Once you root through custom recovery it will then ask you to reboot the device and download SuperSU from the Playstore and update the binaries through there. Since then I have De-Odexed NE4 ( & created a flashable zip for US Sprint owners to flash via Philz or possibly TWRP but am waiting to release it ATM ) and have modded my platform.xml file to allow permission to write to external storage manually instead of using an App from the Playstore.

For info, the supposedly unrootable NA7 version is very rootable on its own just like MI6, MK1 and the now NE4. Once I updated my Mega to NA7, I rooted it right away, de-odexed and began modding the phone to the point where I also created a flashable deodexer ( via recovery ) until I saw that NE4 dropped and also the DL on my phone which stopped me from working on anything further for NA7 related.

I have not seen a lot of love for Sprint owners of the Mega and have wanted to contribute for some time. I know there is one member I saw that has made a Deodexed, De-KNOXed version of NA7 but one must not have KNOX at all when installing it. That was not my case. I wish I had a lot more time to actually start or create a Custom Rom for the Sprint users but I don't ATM. I have also read/seen that some Custom Roms from other carriers for the Mega are able to be ported over easily. All the things I have done so far for my Sprint Mega are very achievable and can be done very easily with the many tools provided here at no charge to anyone.

Last edited:

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
I tried the root and it didn't work :( Can anyone help me out with what exact files I need? I know what to do I just have no idea which files to use.

Philz has whats needed already to root your Mega.

=============================================

Just in case anyone did not know or wants to know a bit about Knox Bootloaders, Rooting and flashing. Some words of caution or heed of warning for you all. Flashing ANY Custom Recovery or even a Custom Rom on your Phone while having the Knox Bootloader will trip your Knox flag and your Warranty Bit will or may go from 0x0 to 0x1. On some newer Knox Bootloaders they are showing your Current Binary as Custom and also showing Knox Warranty Void: 1. There is no way to go back to 0x0 or 0 at the moment or revert your Bootloader once you have flashed while on a Knox Bootloader so take this as it is.

As a disclaimer, you are doing this because you know what you are doing and know where to go on your device or computer to do this. I take no responsibility for you bricking, bootlooping or anything implied there of. You know the risks so proceed only if you know what to do.

This method will also not work having a locked Bootloader ( Encrypted ) from Verizon or AT&T so flash at your own expense.

1.Flash the latest Philz recovery ( Galaxy Mega (meliusltexx) ) .

1a) Be sure when flashing a custom recovery not to allow the device to reboot into the OS right after and instead go straight to the recovery first.

( Uncheck reboot device in Odin or if you forgot to uncheck the box after a successful flash of the Custom Recovery in Odin, quickly hold down vol+, Menu & Power Button or last resort pull the battery before it has time to reboot into the OS {again this is after the phone reboots from flashing the custom recovery and passes}).

The security will over write the custom recovery with the stock recovery and you will have to flash Philz or if available TWRP again. First boot into custom recovery will make it stick on after.

2. Once flashed and booted into recovery, you'll be on the main screen.

( Optional but recommended )
2a) At this point, and it is just a suggestion to you all, make a complete backup of the phone as it sits unmodded. I couldn't really tell you how many times I have read/seen of people post that they forgot to back up their phones after they had attempted to do something to their phones and had caused them to have problems..... well many would be surprised how often this happens and I have been guilty of it due to just being impatient. This way you will have a starting point fresh, stock and even unrooted to go back to. After your done proceed to step #3.

3. Tick on Philz settings.

4. Tick on Re-root System (Super SU).

5. You will then see the log scroll at the bottom and tell you to reboot and install SuperSU through the Playstore.

6. Reboot Device and once you have booted up, install SuperSU via Playstore or if you have the APK on hand, install it.

7. Once installed it will ask you that it needs to update binaries, do so. It will also detect KNOX and ask to attempt
to disable it, go ahead and it will attempt to do so. ( I have yet for it to say unsuccessful )

Also, if the first attempt to Root "Normally" doesn't work and the App states that Root failed, try the other choice of updating, through a Custom Recovery TWRP/CWMR as the App suggests. You are given two choices. It will reboot your device after into the Custom Recovery you have and then reboot your phone again. After reboot, open the app to check if it took.

8. Enjoy being rooted afterwards.

=======================================

If after step #6 it fails to update binaries or for some chance, the SuperSU APK failed to install properly or failed to provide Root Access, below is a link for the newer SuperSU v2.02 that is flashable in your Custom Recovery. Flash it by rebooting back into Recovery and flashing the ZIP file that's downloadable from the middle of the main page in the link below showing installable zip. Once flashed continue on from step #6 above.

Thank you @Chainfire

SuperSU v2.02<------- click here

Bellow at the bottom of this post are both the older flashable ZIP file ( v1.97 ) and the SuperSU v2.01 apk to try if the newer ones do not work for you.

Attachments

• UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.97.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 348
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I pulled my OTA and will be updating as soon as I have the chance. In case anyone with a Sprint variant wants it now, here you go.

Showing KitKat NE4 dropped on Open Source L600VPUBNE4

Official Sprint Mega KitKat OTA.zip

As with all Official Updates, you need to have stock recovery loaded and be unrooted. This is flashed via stock recovery only and not custom recovery. If you have problems with the update I suggest you update via flashing through Odin with the Official NE4 KitKat Update.

This update does state you will not be able to downgrade the bootloader once done but if that really doesnt worry you or could care less then please proceed. Like many other Samsung devices, I am pretty sure one can flash a custom MK1 or NA7 Rom with the newer bootloader ( if one was available for us Sprint owners... ) all as long as you do not try to downgrade the newer NE4 bootloader back to the previous NA7 bootloader. As always you all should know what to do with the update.zip file so be safe and enjoy......

One way to gain root on your Sprint Galaxy Mega 6.3 ( SPH-L600 ) w/ Firmware NE4 ( KitKat )
    Using PhilZ Touch Recovery Thank you @Phil3759
    Post#20 <------- click here

Official Stock Firmware tar.md5 ( 1.19 GB )
    L600VPUBNE4 Firmware <------- click here

Philz has whats needed already to root your Mega.

Just in case anyone did not know or wants to know a bit about Knox Bootloaders, Rooting and flashing. Some words of caution or heed of warning for you all. Flashing ANY Custom Recovery or even a Custom Rom on your Phone while having the Knox Bootloader will trip your Knox flag and your Warranty Bit will or may go from 0x0 to 0x1. On some newer Knox Bootloaders they are showing your Current Binary as Custom and also showing Knox Warranty Void: 1. There is no way to go back to 0x0 or 0 at the moment or revert your Bootloader once you have flashed while on a Knox Bootloader so take this as it is.

As a disclaimer, you are doing this because you know what you are doing and know where to go on your device or computer to do this. I take no responsibility for you bricking, bootlooping or anything implied there of. You know the risks so proceed only if you know what to do.

This method will also not work having a locked Bootloader ( Encrypted ) from Verizon or AT&T so flash at your own expense.

1.Flash the latest Philz recovery ( Galaxy Mega (meliusltexx) ) .

1a) Be sure when flashing a custom recovery not to allow the device to reboot into the OS right after and instead go straight to the recovery first.

( Uncheck reboot device in Odin or if you forgot to uncheck the box after a successful flash of the Custom Recovery in Odin, quickly hold down vol+, Menu & Power Button or last resort pull the battery before it has time to reboot into the OS {again this is after the phone reboots from flashing the custom recovery and passes}).

The security will over write the custom recovery with the stock recovery and you will have to flash Philz or if available TWRP again. First boot into custom recovery will make it stick on after.

2. Once flashed and booted into recovery, you'll be on the main screen.

( Optional but recommended )
    2a) At this point, and it is just a suggestion to you all, make a complete backup of the phone as it sits unmodded. I couldn't really tell you how many times I have read/seen of people post that they forgot to back up their phones after they had attempted to do something to their phones and had caused them to have problems..... well many would be surprised how often this happens and I have been guilty of it due to just being impatient. This way you will have a starting point fresh, stock and even unrooted to go back to. After your done proceed to step #3.

3. Tick on Philz settings.

4. Tick on Re-root System (Super SU).

5. You will then see the log scroll at the bottom and tell you to reboot and install SuperSU through the Playstore.

6. Reboot Device and once you have booted up, install SuperSU via Playstore or if you have the APK on hand, install it.

7. Once installed it will ask you that it needs to update binaries, do so. It will also detect KNOX and ask to attempt
    to disable it, go ahead and it will attempt to do so. ( I have yet for it to say unsuccessful )

Also, if the first attempt to Root "Normally" doesn't work and the App states that Root failed, try the other choice of updating, through a Custom Recovery TWRP/CWMR as the App suggests. You are given two choices. It will reboot your device after into the Custom Recovery you have and then reboot your phone again. After reboot, open the app to check if it took.

8. Enjoy being rooted afterwards.

=======================================

If after step #6 it fails to update binaries or for some chance, the SuperSU APK failed to install properly or failed to provide Root Access, below is a link for the newer SuperSU v2.02 that is flashable in your Custom Recovery. Flash it by rebooting back into Recovery and flashing the ZIP file that's downloadable from the middle of the main page in the link below showing installable zip. Once flashed continue on from step #6 above.

Thank you @Chainfire

SuperSU v2.02<------- click here

Bellow at the bottom of this post are both the older flashable ZIP file ( v1.97 ) and the SuperSU v2.01 apk to try if the newer ones do not work for you.

Well it's easily rooted via Recovery. Just Odin Philz or TWRP and root through there. Once rebooted install SuperSU or Superuser via Playstore . Once installed open the APK and update the binaries. Should be rooted after. I have done this to all my phones including the wifes listed below and all are rooted.

I have also made a flashable Deodex zip for NA7 and will be making one for NE4 as soon as I have the chance.

So you are saying there is no 4.4.2 Kitkat update and the Open Source website are mistaken as well.

Look at my original post and see for yourself. This is for the Sprint Mega SPH-L600 Phone. I have rooted all my Samsung Galaxy phones via Custom recovery using Philz or TWRP. Once you root through custom recovery it will then ask you to reboot the device and download SuperSU from the Playstore and update the binaries through there. Since then I have De-Odexed NE4 ( & created a flashable zip for US Sprint owners to flash via Philz or possibly TWRP but am waiting to release it ATM ) and have modded my platform.xml file to allow permission to write to external storage manually instead of using an App from the Playstore.

For info, the supposedly unrootable NA7 version is very rootable on its own just like MI6, MK1 and the now NE4. Once I updated my Mega to NA7, I rooted it right away, de-odexed and began modding the phone to the point where I also created a flashable deodexer ( via recovery ) until I saw that NE4 dropped and also the DL on my phone which stopped me from working on anything further for NA7 related.

I have not seen a lot of love for Sprint owners of the Mega and have wanted to contribute for some time. I know there is one member I saw that has made a Deodexed, De-KNOXed version of NA7 but one must not have KNOX at all when installing it. That was not my case. I wish I had a lot more time to actually start or create a Custom Rom for the Sprint users but I don't ATM. I have also read/seen that some Custom Roms from other carriers for the Mega are able to be ported over easily. All the things I have done so far for my Sprint Mega are very achievable and can be done very easily with the many tools provided here at no charge to anyone.

Thanks.

It will not allow one to really open the update, trust me I tried right away to try and pull the stock recovery image to make into a flashable Odin file. I was going to try by other means but I ran out of time and had to come to work. I zipped the official update.zip file to upload it right when I got home for members here to have. You can't unzip further than update.zip. When I tried to unzip ( I can't recall the program I used ) it did advised me it was a signed file.

You must place it in your External Memory card ( not Root or sdCard0 ) and flash via stock recovery. It is an official OTA. If you recieve the official OTA it will be located in your Root/cache/ directory.

On a different note....... I just finished Deodexing the APK's and Jar files and flashed them via recovery and all went well. I am now able to start modding some files and add some toggles if possible and undo the file transfer permission issue that kitkat has done to secure the OS. I am going to try and add the flashlight toggle if I can as that has been one of my goals for this phone.