My S2 does not Boot at all may be HARDBRICKED :'(

Search This thread

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
Okay... initially i was on Custom Rom Jellybam based on Jellybean 4.2.1 with Siyah Kernel V5 sync.

I want to upgrade to Kitkat 4.4

so i downloaded all the required files , made nandroid backup , reboot the phone and started transferring all ROM files into internal SD card Sdcard0
I am doing all this is Linux Mint..
It started transferring and got stuck 33.2%
so i removed the cable and try it again and this time again it stucked again
and my phone reboots automatically ..
Samsung logo main screen shows and loading starts but after completing loading bar .. it Freezes there and i cannot boot into recovery either..

SO on searching on goggle for solutions .. it states that i have to flash kernel again through ODIN again in order to access recovery to do Factory Reset..
SO i did the same flashed siyah kernel v4.1.5
it shows its successfully flashed BUT on reboot it shows Yellow triangle and freezes there and i still cannot access recovery and it also freezes on battery charge animation

So i again try to flash using ODIN this time again with siyah kernel 6.b5
and still same problem ,, so pull out battery and leave for 5 minutes and again boot phone in download mode and flash again using odin siyah kernel 6.0b5 and upon Reboot PHONE does not Boot.. I was literally Shocked and i try to pull out battery .. put back in and Try to charge but it shows no animation nor it is going in download mode.

Please HELP ..
Suggest me some ways because 1 year before I've replaced the motherboard due to same problem caused by factory reset in stock ICS rom when There was Hard Brick problem in Stock ICS roms..but it was in warranty so there was no problem but this time its out of warranty..

I didn't do anything wrong and still it got HARD BRICKED :( and still not have a clue what went wrong ??

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
And what exactly do you expect people here to suggest ? If the phone won't boot you can:-

*Try a jig (0.0000000001% chance of working, but try it if you like torturing yourself with false hope)
*Try a JTAG if the person who tries is prepared to do it on the basis of 'you only pay them if the JTAG is successful' (also 0.0000000001% chance of working, try this if you like torturing yourself with false hope even more)
*Replace the motherboard; 99.99% chance of successfully fixing the phone provided there's nothing else wrong hardware-wise

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
And what exactly do you expect people here to suggest ? If the phone won't boot you can:-

*Try a jig (0.0000000001% chance of working, but try it if you like torturing yourself with false hope)
*Try a JTAG if the person who tries is prepared to do it on the basis of 'you only pay them if the JTAG is successful' (also 0.0000000001% chance of working, try this if you like torturing yourself with false hope even more)
*Replace the motherboard; 99.99% chance of successfully fixing the phone provided there's nothing else wrong hardware-wise

i'll go to samsung care tomorrow but i am still wondering what happened wrong as i did nothing wrong at all then still how it hardbricked ??

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
... probably you only need to flash a correct running ROM. Did you try to flash an original Samsung firmware? Did you wipe data before starting the new ROM? Otherwise there is a big chance for a bootloop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
... probably you only need to flash a correct running ROM. Did you try to flash an original Samsung firmware? Did you wipe data before starting the new ROM? Otherwise there is a big chance for a bootloop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
the guide suggest to flash kernel so that i can wipe/data factory reset .. i tried that with odin but phone does not boot and freezes at Samsung logo when loading bar finishes... so i thought to flash stock ics rom but before doing that after flashing kernel again it reboot and hard bricked... and does not boot after all even in download mode..
So this happens after i flashed kernel 3rd time and i still have no clue why did it happened..
and customer care asks it would costs at least Rs.8,000 or $133 to replace a Motherboard.. which is too costly...

can anyone suggest me any other things.. ay alternatives ??

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
There are no other alternatives. Just because you refuse to accept reality doesn't make it anything less than reality.

And isn't it wonderful to see people still not reading threads & suggesting stuff that's impossible: 'probably you only need to flash a correct running ROM'. I mean, seriously ? The OP has already stated on multiple occasions that the phone will not boot. At all. How do you propose he flash 'a correct running rom' exactly ?:rolleyes:

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
There are no other alternatives. Just because you refuse to accept reality doesn't make it anything less than reality.

And isn't it wonderful to see people still not reading threads & suggesting stuff that's impossible: 'probably you only need to flash a correct running ROM'. I mean, seriously ? The OP has already stated on multiple occasions that the phone will not boot. At all. How do you propose he flash 'a correct running rom' exactly ?:rolleyes:
hahah... i know .. people are sometimes too lazy to read ..

I just need to know.. what's wrong happened so that it will not happen next time..

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Honestly ? That's almost impossible to say. Best guesses based on what you've told us are you simply got a bad flash, which is a small possibility (maybe 1 in 10,000) with any given flash. Or, I've had a theory based on instances like this I've seen on here over the past two yrs which involves the connection between phone & PC being broken for a split second during the flash (possibly caused by less than reliable USB ports on the PC or something else intermittent on the PC side), but not long enough for the disconnection to 'register' on the PC-side like it normally does when an external device is disconnected (you get that exclamation sound & a notification that the device has been disconnected in your taskbar).

It doesn't sound like you did anything 'wrong', put it that way. So I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do to avoid it in future. Unfortunately, that's the risk all of us take whenever we flash stuff to our phones; every single flash (even CWM ones) involves that small risk (due to the nature of the NAND; having a write abruptly interrupted partway through can 'scramble' it) and the only way you can mitigate that 100% is to not flash anything at all.

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
Well .. I've already seen several people claiming a 'hardbrick' while the phone was only stuck in a boot loop. Especially while flashing only boot.img / system.img (which the OP claimed) it's normally really hard to create a hardbrick. That was the reason to suggest to try to flash an original firmware.If instead the bootloader is messed up, there is not much to do ...

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
Well .. I've already seen several people claiming a 'hardbrick' while the phone was only stuck in a boot loop. Especially while flashing only boot.img / system.img (which the OP claimed) it's normally really hard to create a hardbrick. That was the reason to suggest to try to flash an original firmware.If instead the bootloader is messed up, there is not much to do ...

well I've got my s2 since past 1.7 years and nothing wrong has happened till date as I've flashed plenty of ROMS earlier.. its nothing new to me.. i am well known to these things..

i have exams from 1 month and s2 was creating problems such as freezes while scrolling in any application and automatic reboot from many time
i have no time to solve this during exams..

so i tried to solve this issue yesterday by upgrading to new ROM.. downloaded ROM files .. and ready to transfer to internal sd where copying stuck at 33% 2 times and at 2nd time from where main problem starts.. of freezing at bootscreen and then i trty to solve by flahsing new kernel thriugh ODIN where Hardbrick was TOTALLY UNEXPECTED.. as I've done this earlier time too but nothing happened wrong that time... i was literally surprised that it does not boot at all even i didn't done any mistakes at all & followed procedure.. even ODIN every time shows "Flash Successful"

i've attached screenshot of ODIN flashing.. so you can check for yourself..
May be there is a possibility of battery dying and phone cannot charge the battery ??
i've no spare battery to check .. so will go soon to care to check if its battery problem or not..

Last edited:

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
Honestly ? That's almost impossible to say. Best guesses based on what you've told us are you simply got a bad flash, which is a small possibility (maybe 1 in 10,000) with any given flash. Or, I've had a theory based on instances like this I've seen on here over the past two yrs which involves the connection between phone & PC being broken for a split second during the flash (possibly caused by less than reliable USB ports on the PC or something else intermittent on the PC side), but not long enough for the disconnection to 'register' on the PC-side like it normally does when an external device is disconnected (you get that exclamation sound & a notification that the device has been disconnected in your taskbar).

It doesn't sound like you did anything 'wrong', put it that way. So I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do to avoid it in future. Unfortunately, that's the risk all of us take whenever we flash stuff to our phones; every single flash (even CWM ones) involves that small risk (due to the nature of the NAND; having a write abruptly interrupted partway through can 'scramble' it) and the only way you can mitigate that 100% is to not flash anything at all.
i totally understand what you wanted to say..
i now how to do these things.. i know the risks...
still don't know what happened wrong..

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
hey guys.. i just went to samsung care and they told me that PCB need to be replaced and it ill costs me INR 8,000 or $133.33 which is too expensive and i told them if any other thing can be done .. i see some videos in youtube stating DEAD or HARDBRCIKED S2 can be fixed by changing its POWER IC...

so i told them that thing then they told me that OFFICIALY only Motherbaord could be replaced however I can ask local reapir shops in my city whether they can replace POWER IC or any other such thing which will be cheap..

So i went to one of the Repair shop (MAIN one in my CITY) & i ask them .. after checking he said.. I'll check IF Repalcing POWER IC will solve the problem or not... otherwise Motherboard need to be replaced..

the cost of POWER IC replacement is INR 800 or $13.33
otherwsie
he'll replace the motherboard for INR 3000 or $ 30..

so i deposoited my Phone to him and will go again in 2 hours.. to check if POWER IC replacement will fix the problem or not..

I am wondering if it will be safe to do this from unofficial reapir centre whether he will not take orignal parts of my phone internals ? however every people go to his shop.... Motherboard repalcing by him costs only INR 3000 ($50) while officialy its INR 8000($133)..

why is there so much price difference..??
IF POWER IC replacement is good idea ??

i just don't want to be in another problem...

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Probably a 2nd hand board. If it were me, I'd be replacing the whole board. I wouldn't want someone fartarsing around replacing individual components on a board that size no matter how competent they claim to be. But that's up to you/how much money you're prepared to spend.

As to whether what he's going to do (replacing an individual component) will definitely fix it, how do you expect us to possibly know that ? You're the one who's met the person who's going to fix your phone/we have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of this person/their competencies. I know one thing though, in Australia, nobody who repairs Samsung phones for a living (I.E a commercial operation/business) would replace an individual component like that. Only 'spare timers' would do that.

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
Probably a 2nd hand board. If it were me, I'd be replacing the whole board. I wouldn't want someone fartarsing around replacing individual components on a board that size no matter how competent they claim to be. But that's up to you/how much money you're prepared to spend.

As to whether what he's going to do (replacing an individual component) will definitely fix it, how do you expect us to possibly know that ? You're the one who's met the person who's going to fix your phone/we have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of this person/their competencies. I know one thing though, in Australia, nobody who repairs Samsung phones for a living (I.E a commercial operation/business) would replace an individual component like that. Only 'spare timers' would do that.
well i ask a local official samsung mobile shop onwer whom we knows from years ... he said.. he is the main person in our city and everyone goes to him for repair... and he thinks he won't do such as thing..

SO i gave my phone to him..

and about power IC replacment there are some videos on youtube i checked before asking for POWER IC replacement....

so thought may be it'll work.. :/
hope for the best..
anyways thanks.. :)

D

Deleted member 5011044

What's up with the sarcasm? Pretty sure that's not what this forum is about.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using xda app-developers app

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
^^^^

Unless you're one of the 'slow kids up the back', you'll know there is absolutely nothing anyone on a phone forum can do for a person like the OP who has a phone in that state. How do I know this ? Experience. I have seen thousands of examples on here exactly like this in 2 & a bit years. They all turn out the same whether you tell people straight up, or whether you stuff them around for two weeks trying stuff that has no chance of working.

And as it's turned out, I was absolutely correct in my initial post. I'm not a believer in having people try a bunch of stuff that has no chance whatsoever of working which builds up their hopes, only to have them end up disappointed when the 'stuff that had no chance of working in the first place' doesn't work (funnily enough :rolleyes:).

I'd much rather be honest with people from the outset, so they can either have their phone repaired & working again (or buy a new phone if people decide that's a better option) sooner rather than later, because I know what it's like to be without a (decent) phone for week/however long.

But you're not capable of comprehending this, are you ? You'd rather make your 2nd post on here a 'gob off' re: something you know absolutely nothing about.

Reactions: theunderling

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
So . the thing is IF POWER IC replacemet will fix the phone or not...i've done some googling and found that the POWER IC replacemet works for users..
If anyone here in this forum has tried this and successfuly saved his phone instead of replacing whole Motherboard.. ??

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
^^^^

Unless you're one of the 'slow kids up the back', you'll know there is absolutely nothing anyone on a phone forum can do for a person like the OP who has a phone in that state. How do I know this ? Experience. I have seen thousands of examples on here exactly like this in 2 & a bit years. They all turn out the same whether you tell people straight up, or whether you stuff them around for two weeks trying stuff that has no chance of working.

And as it's turned out, I was absolutely correct in my initial post. I'm not a believer in having people try a bunch of stuff that has no chance whatsoever of working which builds up their hopes, only to have them end up disappointed when the 'stuff that had no chance of working in the first place' doesn't work (funnily enough :rolleyes:).

I'd much rather be honest with people from the outset, so they can either have their phone repaired & working again (or buy a new phone if people decide that's a better option) sooner rather than later, because I know what it's like to be without a (decent) phone for week/however long.

But you're not capable of comprehending this, are you ? You'd rather make your 2nd post on here a 'gob off' re: something you know absolutely nothing about.
dude please if anything irritates you .. then i'm sorry..
i ts just its first time happened with me...s i am worried about my phone..
that's all :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ^^^^

Which is exactly what this problem is always caused by.

No, you cannot buy a new EMMC separately, nor can you (normally) buy a new motherboard without having a Samsung service centre do the replacement. In some dodgy countries you might get 'leakage' of new boards without the service centre doing the replacement, but if Samsung found out they'd chuck a fit.

These cases are always cause by the NAND being scrambled by the bad flash. Anything else wrong with the phone hardware-wise is coincidental.

The operating system/pre-boot/etc is on the NAND, bad flash corrupts the NAND, no more operating system/etc. It's pretty simple/logical really.

So, as I've already said however many times already in this thread (can't be arsed counting), the only way you are fixing this phone is by replacing the motherboard. I'm not posting to this thread again, because you don't listen/read what I've already said a number of times.

SO, IT turns out The guy says it doesn't have POWER IC PROBLEM... instead it has corrupt EMMC CHIP Problem..