Tablet will not turn on

Search This thread

Citi

Mar 23, 2011
I followed this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861950 (Roebeet's post) which brought me back to stock.

However, when I apply the 1.1-3588 the tablet shuts off and is unable to be turned back on. The only way to turn it back on is to run the nvflash_gtablet batch file. At which point a receive a notice saying 'The update to version 1.1-3588' was not successful. Please try again or contact customer support.'

Why is the tablet unresponsive after the failed update? Why must I NVFlash to reactivate the screen?

I searched through the forums for the past hour and although I found similar problems I have yet to run into my exact one. I am hoping to find some help.

Edit*

I have the same problem as another user which can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=903684

I can NVFlash the stock image (or even the NVFlash of TnT-lite 1.02) and the tablet will boot after the flash and function. Power it off (or do something that requires a reboot) and the tablet will no longer function. No power on (that I can tell), can't boot to recovery......and if I plug the tablet in to the PC I can NVFlash it and it boots. It's like it's stuck in APX mode now. I just have to plug it in to the PC, no Power + Volume- combo.....just plug the USB in and run NVFlash. It boots (to whatever I flashed) and will run until I power it off or try to reboot.

Getting APX mode to function is not a problem......so I can NVFlash it but what I've tried so far has not worked (it doesn't delete the data partition, etc..as I reflash and it's right where it was before I turned it off).

The fix posted by acidburn89 was unsuccessful for me

Last edited:

butchconner

Nov 26, 2010
Northwest Louisiana
Citi,

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing, but if you are getting the message
you described, that sounds more like you are booting in recovery or a regular
boot and not APX (Power/Volume - to be the white, the black APX NVFlash screen).

My suggestion is to do the stock recovery NVFlash Procedure again. Check
everything step by step to make sure the right files are there and the right
things done.

See if you can complete that and get back to a working bekit 1105 (Stock
Version 2638).

If you can do that, go into Settings/Display and set it so the display does not
turn off).

THEN, if it offers you the OTA Update, let it run.

If it is unsuccessful again, post back here and I will see if I can find the file
and instructions to load 3588 manually.

Hope this helps,

Rev

Last edited:

Citi

Mar 23, 2011
Ok so I reread Roebeets NVFlash post and double checked my files. All of them are there and in the correct location. I set up my USB drivers, booted into APX mode and ran the nvflash_gtablet.bat

Then the tablet loads properly into the stock TNT 2638. After setting up my WiFi I get a notification that the 3588 update is available. I download the update and after it ask me if I would like to apply now or later. I have tried both options however both seem to fail.

At this point if I hit apply now it shuts down the tablet however it does not turn on. The only way to turn it on is using nvflash_gtablet.bat file. Which it then boots up properly (and it is not wiped, it's as if it is jut turning on normally)and I either get one of two errors.

'The update to version 1.1-3588' was not successful. Please try again or contact customer support.'

or

'The update process cannot proceed due to an unrecoverable error. More information about the error is below, 'Verify checksum: file was not found. Downloaded file does not exist.null'

Hope this helps, I am not new to rooting/flashing roms but this is a completely new error to me.

Last edited:

butchconner

Nov 26, 2010
Northwest Louisiana
Citi,

Did you do what I said about setting the display not to go off?
I tell people to do that because I have heard that it can
interrupt the download.

Whatever is happening, it seems like the download is not happening
or not finishing.

You can go to the Developer Forum (or there may be one in General)
and find the thread that tells where to download the .zip version of
the OTA 3588 download.

Then go down to end of the top 4349 thread in General and I wrote a post there for a
guy on how to install an update from the .zip file.

Rev

Last edited:

Citi

Mar 23, 2011
Just bumping this as it is still relevant and it seems to be a unique issue, as all past solutions have yet to fix this problem. I spent the whole day on IRC and have seemed to stump a few people. Looks like I may have the first fully bricked tablet :(

Citi

Mar 23, 2011
Can't get into CWM to do so, stuck in an infinite APX mode and I can only turn the power on via an NVFlash

Reactions: rbansal2

rbansal2

Mar 24, 2011
Can't get into CWM to do so, stuck in an infinite APX mode and I can only turn the power on via an NVFlash

get the recovery.img from from cwm .8 zip file and then use nvFlash to load that.

nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download 9 recovery.img

(make sure you put the recovery.img in you nvFlash folder and then issue the command above. That will install cwm .8)

from what you wrote above it seems like you are getting stuck in apx mode when you reboot. So my question is what files did you download to setup your nvFlash????

rbansal2

Mar 24, 2011
I will attempt to load CWM using NVFlash, and I followed this guide EXACTLY http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861950 for NVFlash for windows

which files did you download from his dropbox????? I am more interested in knowing if you used nvflash_gtablet_2010110500.zip or nvflash_gtablet_46_2010112600.zip????

I initially used that nvflash_gtablet_2010110500.zip and had the same problem as you few weeks ago. So I tried using nvflash_gtablet_46_2010112600.zip and that worked a lot better for me :).

hope that helps...let me know if you stuck anywhere.

enjoy

K J Rad

Jan 7, 2011
So the problem has changed from not being able to load an update to being in an APX loop? If I understand your original post correctly you were indeed able to nvflash back to original stock and boot normally. Then it failed when you tried to do the update to 3588. If you can still do that...

1) nvflash to bekit's 1105 stock
2) do not install the update
3) clear cache and data with Method I from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1030915 - If this fails due to not being able to enter recovery then your nvflash was no good. You'll need to verify that you have the correct drivers installed, you're using the correct version of nvflash and that your image is sound. Easiest way to do that is to download them again.
4) install ClockworkMod .8 using MicroSD card method.
5) Re-partition 2048 and 0

Were there any error messages in the output of your latest nvflash attempts?

rbansal2

Mar 24, 2011
I posted on how you can get cwm .8 installed on your tablet if you are stuck in apx mode. There are also other threads that are pinned under the development section that explain how you can get cwm .8 using nvFlash. You will need that to get out of the apx loop that you are stuck in.

Citi

Mar 23, 2011
The problem is found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=903684

I can NVFlash the stock image (or even the NVFlash of TnT-lite 1.02) and the tablet will boot after the flash and function. Power it off (or do something that requires a reboot) and the tablet will no longer function. No power on (that I can tell), can't boot to recovery......and if I plug the tablet in to the PC I can NVFlash it and it boots. It's like it's stuck in APX mode now. I just have to plug it in to the PC, no Power + Volume- combo.....just plug the USB in and run NVFlash. It boots (to whatever I flashed) and will run until I power it off or try to reboot.

Getting APX mode to function is not a problem......so I can NVFlash it but what I've tried so far has not worked (it doesn't delete the data partition, etc..as I reflash and it's right where it was before I turned it off).

And I attempted to install CWM using the NVFlash method with no success. It seemed to install however when I booted the system back up (using the batch file) I saw the "Android" screen and then the tablet went black, no green CWM menu appeared or anything

I posted on how you can get cwm .8 installed on your tablet if you are stuck in apx mode. There are also other threads that are pinned under the development section that explain how you can get cwm .8 using nvFlash. You will need that to get out of the apx loop that you are stuck in.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbansal2

rbansal2

Mar 24, 2011

And I attempted to install CWM using the NVFlash method with no success. It seemed to install however when I booted the system back up (using the batch file) I saw the "Android" screen and then the tablet went black, no green CWM menu appeared or anything

If the screen is blank then connect it to your computer and see if your tablet is in APX mode. You will probably hear the usb connect sound and you can go in device manager to see if it is connected. Let me know and then we can go from there

Citi

Mar 23, 2011
Yes it has been in a permanent APX mode since my original NVFlash, with the only way to turn the tablet on is to use the nvflash_gtablet.bat file. This will bring the tablet to TnT however my data has not wiped since my original NVFlash and the Wifi and other information is still present. It prompts me to download the new update however there is no need since once the tablet shuts down it will go to APX mode, with a rinse repeat of the cycle and I use .bat file to turn the tablet on.

Last edited:

rbansal2

Mar 24, 2011
ok try this...not sure if it will work but its worth a try

1. replace part9.img with the recovery.img ( i m sure u have done this already. this is so cwm .8 gets installed when you do a full nvFlash)
2. when you boot on for the first time.. press the power & + so you go in cwm .8.

let me know if you access cwm .8 if you do this :)....we'll move forward from there

Reactions: Citi

Citi

Mar 23, 2011
Failed first time I did it, but I just tried again and what do you know...success, unsure why.

Currently sitting in CWM looking at that beautiful green screen. I am in the IRC room if we could continue there that would probably work better and faster.

Last edited:

rbansal2

Mar 24, 2011
ya i m still at work and cant get on irc here :/...but if you are in cwm .8 then first thing i would do is wipe data then clear cache and then clear dalvik...then go under mounts menu and mount all the partiontions and then format all the partitions...once you are done with that i would mount your tablet so you can see is as a mass storage device on your computer and upload stock frimware 3588 on there...
use this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861950 and go down to post nvflash and get the 3588.zip

from the 3588.zip get the update.zip and copy that to your tablet...once u have that go to the main menu of cwm .8 and choose the option to install update.zip form sdcard...i thikn thats the second one down

try that and see if it works...if not then i'll on irc in the evening today and i'll help you out ;)...dont stress we'll get your tablet up and running again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I decided I wanted to go back to cyanogenmod7, and to do so I had to nvflash back to 1.1. When I did so I got the apx loop again, and honestly I was aboot to throw my g tab through the wall. But I decided to try to nvflash 1.2 again, after doing that I still got the apx boot loop. I thought I had just pressed my luck too far and I couldnt fix it again.
    After trying some different things I was able to get out of the apx loop again. And I have been able to duplicate this 4 or 5 different times from apx loop to make sure I knew what I did to fix it.
    So, here goes:
    Using the 1.2 nvflash, run the nvflash_gtablet.bat while holding the volume + button. It should boot into the recovery after it all runs. Make sure you have the update.zip and recovery folder from the honeycomb bottle of smoke rom on your gtab or sd card. While in recovery run the update.zip from where ever you have it. After it installs your gtab will reboot to apx again. Now you need to run this line of code which I am sure most of you are well aware of;
    Code:
    "nvflash.exe" --bl bootloader.bin --download 9 part9.img --go
    It should then say something to the affect of: update partition4 update "edt"
    Or something like that, I dont recall exactly what it said.
    Then you should see three little birds perched by my doorstep, Singin' sweet songs of melodies pure and true... (Bob Marley reference, haha)

Again I hope this method works for all of you, as well. The only issue is you can only use roms based off the 1.2 bootloader.
    Also like I said in my first post the 1.2 img file that I downloaded from the site is different from the one that is up there now, the one I have makes one of the partitions bigger, I believe. I dont know if it makes a difference, but if it does I can upload it.

Good luck to those of you that try this!
    Whatever you need let me know. I appreciate the work you're doing. I have ways to get another one but I'd rather help you help the community find a fix. No more Rom Mangler for me....

I'll need a vacation home in Key West, a completely restored AC Cobra and a retirement account in a bank in the Caymans... ;-)

Warnings and Caveats!

1) This has only been tested with Bekit's 1105 image for nvflash.
    2) Future nvflash's may still result in APX Looping but this procedure should continue to work.
    3) Any deviation from the tools and images used here will likely result in failure.
    4) This is NOT a step by step on how to nvflash or use clockworkmod. If you do not have those skills then research them before you begin.

Prerequisites

1) Working installation of nvflash with Bekit's 1105 image
    2) Recovery.img file from clockworkmod installation zip saved in nvflash folder
    3) TapNTap Stock ROM 1.1-3588. This is the only one tested to work.

Part I

1) Rename part9.img to stock.img in your nvflash folder.
    2) Rename recovery.img to part9.img in your nvflash folder.
    3) Type in the command to start nvflash but before you hit enter press and hold the Volume UP key. Continue to hold it for 10 seconds or so after nvflash starts doing it's work.
    4) When the nvflash finishes your tablet should start up into ClockworkMod Recovery. If not then this procedure will not help you.
    5) Repartition 2048 and 0.
    6) Clear Cache, Dalvik and Data.
    7) Reboot. Expect to be in APX mode... after all, you've already tried all this ten or more times already... now let's fix it.
    8) Rename part9.img to recovery.img in your nvflash folder.
    9 rename stock.img to part9.img in your nvflash folder.

Part II

If you are not absolutely certain that partitioning is correct or that cache and data have been wiped DO NOT PROCEED! There is a reason for Part I.

1) nvflash Bekit's 1105 image (have I told you which one to use enough yet?). This image MUST be completely stock. Make absolutely certain that you have put the stock recovery back in before proceeding.
    2) When the tablet boots, mount it to your PC.
    3) Copy the TapNTap Stock 1.1-3588 ROM to your tablet and name it update.zip
    4) Create a folder named recovery on your tablet
    5) Place a file named command (No extension. This is important.) in the recovery folder with the following command in it:

--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip

6) Unmount the tablet from your PC and shut it down.
    7) Verify that the tablet is in APX mode.
    8) From a command line navigate to your nvflash directory
    9) Type the following command but DO NOT hit enter

nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download 6 part6.img --go

10) Press and hold the Volume UP button on your tablet and hit enter on your computer. Continue to hold the Volume UP key for a few seconds after nvflash starts.
    11) When the nvflash finishes your tablet should restart in recovery mode and install the update. The screen will go black and you will be back in APX mode.
    12) Enter the last nvflash command again and press enter WITHOUT holding the Volume key this time. When the flash finishes the tablet should boot to the "g Tablet" screen then restart to the "VS Birds" screen.
    13) Deposit your portion of the payment on my retirement villa in my account in the Caymans...

It's really just that simple...

If there is sufficient need I will try to come up with more detailed instructions and perhaps some prepackaged files to assist in the process as time permits.

Keep in mind that a normal nvflash may put you right back to where you were so prepare carefully before modding from here on out.

ok try this...not sure if it will work but its worth a try

1. replace part9.img with the recovery.img ( i m sure u have done this already. this is so cwm .8 gets installed when you do a full nvFlash)
    2. when you boot on for the first time.. press the power & + so you go in cwm .8.

let me know if you access cwm .8 if you do this :)....we'll move forward from there