i dont believe g2x has 850mhz UMTS HSPA

Search This thread

Boomer Dog16

Feb 18, 2011
Very disapointed, all the reviews made a point of the lie that it was 3g Att compatable. well I'll be sending my G2x back thats for sure!! Can you say false advertizing!!

niftydl

Mar 30, 2006
This was one of the major selling points of this device for me. It might be a great phone, but I was hoping it would be the first true global HSDPA phone. I suspect the hardware is capable, but I am not willing to let them have the money for hope. Also, if you are not under contract (even more plus), I was told you have to wait until past the 14 day return period before they give you an unlock code. So basically either pay the $25 on ebay and try it out now or wait until you can't return the phone if you paid full price upfront.

T-Mobile needs to fix their specs page if they aren't telling us the truth. Back to my Vibrant for now.

Last edited:

Antioch18

Mar 19, 2010
Stop complaining. None of you tested it fully.

The G2x/O2X has a Hidden Menu. In this hidden menu are a LOT of technical phone settings. One of them lists *all* frequencies the radio supports and lets you manually pick from the list. Here is a print out of that list:

WCDMA 850, WCDMA 900, WCDMA AWS, WCDMA 1900, WCDMA 2100, GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900

See the WCDMA 850/900 on there?

I'd try this but I'm a new T-Mo customer and I don't have the privilege of receiving an unlock code. As such I recommend that one of you who do goes ahead and tries this!

Here is a link telling how to access the hidden menu:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991449

Now try it before whining any more, please?

Report back! :D

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Stop complaining. None of you tested it fully.

The G2x/O2X has a Hidden Menu. In this hidden menu are a LOT of technical phone settings. One of them lists *all* frequencies the radio supports and lets you manually pick from the list. Here is a print out of that list:

WCDMA 850, WCDMA 900, WCDMA AWS, WCDMA 1900, WCDMA 2100, GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900

See the WCDMA 850/900 on there?

I'd try this but I'm a new T-Mo customer and I don't have the privilege of receiving an unlock code. As such I recommend that one of you who do goes ahead and tries this!

Here is a link telling how to access the hidden menu:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991449

Now try it before whining any more, please?

Report back! :D

If you had read the relevant posts in this thread, you'd know that several people have discovered this menu. It made no difference enabling additional 3G bands. Nobody has had any success getting it to see an 850 or 1900 3G network.

Sent from my Nook Color!

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
This sucks. I sold my inspire 4g so I can jump on this phone. How lame it won't do 3G on AT&T.

hdlineage

Apr 21, 2011
If you had read the relevant posts in this thread, you'd know that several people have discovered this menu. It made no difference enabling additional 3G bands. Nobody has had any success getting it to see an 850 or 1900 3G network.

Sent from my Nook Color!

I've not seen a post clearly stating that they've tried the menu and it doesn't work. They simply stated that it doesn't work.

Good to know if they've tried it or not.

Deliximus

Jan 22, 2010
yeah, a few posts were made of this method. Already tried 'changing bands', doesn't do anything. The $100 million dollar question is if the hdw supports it or just the s/w locking it out.

C0mbe

Apr 25, 2010
Well, I bought a g2x for use in Canada, and am pretty dissapointed to find 850/1900 disabled.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, of course they are disabled. Tmo is still a seperate company until they get approval to Merge. They don't have approval yet and may not get it. I can see them enabling the bands after it is approved.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

t-mizzle

Jan 3, 2010
St. Louis
I was, just like many others mislead into believing the phone has AT&T bands as well. Carriers, retailers and even OEM's are notorious for listing wrong specs.

From the horses mouth:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...me=N&application_id=318824&fcc_id='BEJP999DW'

The third page of FCC's test report (download the PDF) doesn't list AT&T's 3G bands anywhere. I am positive that they would if the device has them.

Those of you on AT&T or other carriers should wait for official confirmation or until someone unlocks the device and tests it.

As for T-Mobile customers, the completion of the merger and shutdown of T-Mobile 3G bands is at least 18 months away.

The G2X is great phone however, roughly 18 months from now when AT&T hands out replacements, the device will be aged compared to the phones that will be sold at that point. You can look at the howard forums for feedback on what replacements Alltel customers were given when Alltel merged with AT&T.

My point is that T-Mobile customers shouldn't take AT&T compatibility into account when purchasing a device.

But, for those on Even More+ plans (no contract plans) keep in mind that you will not be given replacement phones. Your AWS phones will become useless. AT&T promises to offer deeply discounted phones for their prepaid options, though their prepaid plans are more expensive by default, data in particular that smartphones rely on.

Regardless if you are buying a phone outright or using EIP, the clock started ticking for off contract customers, I wouldn't buy a AWS smartphone past this summer, you are likely to get only a a year and half out of it if you buy it now.

Alltel's arguably best phone was the Desire. Here is a link to a thread of what options for free replacements Alltel customers were given if they wanted to stay on their plans:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...amp-T-Transition-Handset-Selection-Discussion

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Isn't there a high probability these can easily be enabled when running a rom like Cyanogen? Shouldn't be long now

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Conan Kudo

Nov 27, 2007
I was, just like many others mislead into believing the phone has AT&T bands as well. Carriers, retailers and even OEM's are notorious for listing wrong specs.

From the horses mouth:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...me=N&application_id=318824&fcc_id='BEJP999DW'

The third page of FCC's test report (download the PDF) doesn't list AT&T's 3G bands anywhere. I am positive that they would if the device has them.

Those of you on AT&T or other carriers should wait for official confirmation or until someone unlocks the device and tests it.

As for T-Mobile customers, the completion of the merger and shutdown of T-Mobile 3G bands is at least 18 months away.

The G2X is great phone however, roughly 18 months from now when AT&T hands out replacements, the device will be aged compared to the phones that will be sold at that point. You can look at the howard forums for feedback on what replacements Alltel customers were given when Alltel merged with AT&T.

My point is that T-Mobile customers shouldn't take AT&T compatibility into account when purchasing a device.

But, for those on Even More+ plans (no contract plans) keep in mind that you will not be given replacement phones. Your AWS phones will become useless. AT&T promises to offer deeply discounted phones for their prepaid options, though their prepaid plans are more expensive by default, data in particular that smartphones rely on.

Regardless if you are buying a phone outright or using EIP, the clock started ticking for off contract customers, I wouldn't buy a AWS smartphone past this summer, you are likely to get only a a year and half out of it if you buy it now.

Alltel's arguably best phone was the Desire. Here is a link to a thread of what options for free replacements Alltel customers were given if they wanted to stay on their plans:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...amp-T-Transition-Handset-Selection-Discussion

Originally the FCC filings indicated that all four bands were approved. That application no longer lets you download the PDFs for it, but it did exist. What that tells me is that the other frequency bands are disabled, but are supported. Basically, it is the same thing as the Samsung Vibrant, which also originally approved for UMTS 850/1900 and UMTS 1700/2100, but was revised to only include UMTS 1900 and UMTS 1700/2100 in the FCC filing.

As we know, the Samsung Vibrant can be reconfigured to enable UMTS 850, so I'm certain it can be done for the LG G2x too.

jimbo831

Dec 10, 2008
Isn't there a high probability these can easily be enabled when running a rom like Cyanogen? Shouldn't be long now

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

That seems unlikely to me. Most likely IF the hardware supports it, the phone would need a baseband update to enable it, which would only be provided by LG.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
That seems unlikely to me. Most likely IF the hardware supports it, the phone would need a baseband update to enable it, which would only be provided by LG.
Or it could be just the ROM is blocking the use and the baseband already supports it. I thought in the LG hidden menu it shows 850/1900 UMTS already so it appears the stock ROM just doesn't allow you to use it. Would seem more hassle/work for LG to have separate basebands for T-mobile and much easier to lock it down in ROM.

Conan Kudo

Nov 27, 2007
Or it could be just the ROM is blocking the use and the baseband already supports it. I thought in the LG hidden menu it shows 850/1900 UMTS already so it appears the stock ROM just doesn't allow you to use it. Would seem more hassle/work for LG to have separate basebands for T-mobile and much easier to lock it down in ROM.

Except we know that LG does have separate basebands for the international and T-Mobile versions of the Optimus 2X. But it is far more likely that it is a ROM block rather than a baseband block. If it is a baseband block, then somebody will need to beg LG or hack the baseband to unlock the bands.

compuguy1088

Jun 17, 2010
NoVA
www.compuguy1088.com
Originally the FCC filings indicated that all four bands were approved. That application no longer lets you download the PDFs for it, but it did exist. What that tells me is that the other frequency bands are disabled, but are supported. Basically, it is the same thing as the Samsung Vibrant, which also originally approved for UMTS 850/1900 and UMTS 1700/2100, but was revised to only include UMTS 1900 and UMTS 1700/2100 in the FCC filing.

As we know, the Samsung Vibrant can be reconfigured to enable UMTS 850, so I'm certain it can be done for the LG G2x too.

The vibrant does not have wcdma 850. I've tried this in a wcdma 850 area (Daytona Beach, Florida). I only got edge data there.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I've not seen a post clearly stating that they've tried the menu and it doesn't work. They simply stated that it doesn't work.

Good to know if they've tried it or not.

okay,

from my 'source' i got a page on how to access LG hidden menus. I found access to band selection, but it doesn't do anything. i even tried to reboot. Same as before: No Network.

I'll post the link to access Hidden menu in a few minutes.

http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-991449.html

Deliximus uses Bell Canada which is an 850/1900 3G-only network with no GSM backup. So "No Network" means the 3G bands are not working.

lionsson

May 11, 2009
I called Tmobile and LG and had extensive conversation with them, basically came to the conclusion that the frequencies are there but the software is not configure to work with AT&T's 3G network until and if the merger is fulfilled. And even a Tmobile advance support hinted that this was done for their business purposes not because the phone wasn't capable.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sure there's a mod.

The first step is to plug it into craigslist. Make sure you have a reasonable price installed. Ensure that when you meet with the buyer, you take the money and your SIM with you before logging out. Then you will have to install the money somewhere that can sell you a compatible phone. Finally you'll have to put your SIM in the new phone and turn it on.

And voila, you've modded your phone ;-)

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk 2

Another mod would be to strap it to a phone which works on a network it doesn't work on. A further mod would be to put a brick of vanilla ice-cream between the two phones to have Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Wheres the tmobile 1700 band on there?

It's called AWS.
    i live in metro. I will be interested to take a look. call

I would remove your number from public view. Just send him a PM with it.
    Picking mine up at lunch, gonna request an unlock code online once I get off work... Throw the AT&T sim in, and report back my 3g findings...
    Thanks for doing this. This was the only reason that I was wanting to get this phone. If I cannot unlock the phone and use it on 3g on at&t, then it is not worth it (I already have a t-mobile phone that works on at&t and one that works on edge).

No prob, I'm in the same situation you are.. Either way, I can sell it and get my money back if it doesn't pan out..

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App