[XAP] HTC Interop Unlock test 2 - courtesy of Heathcliff74

Search This thread

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
UPDATE 2: Heathcliff74 has taken a look into the reason that this method wasn't working on phones with the HTC updates for Mango, and appears to have found a work-around! I strongly suggest that people try his version instead of mine. The instructions are similar but not identical. Scroll down to the bottom of this first post and use the HTC Interop Unlock XAP located there:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963

If you want to post your results in this thread, please specify which XAP you are using, mine or Heathcliff74's. There are known limitations with mine. There still seem to be some limits with his, be we aren't sure exactly what they are yet.

UPDATE: This is disappointing, but apparently HTC has put yet another roadblock in our way. I'm working on a way around the next one. I can't say how long it will take, but I beat the last one (process arbitrary provxml on an interop-locked phone) and I'll beat this one (allow Connection Setup to modify the registry again, after the HTC updates).

I'll update this thread again when I have a new version to test. Guesses as to the problem's root cause, suggestions for fixing it, and anything else you've found are all welcome.

I'm not taking the initial release of the app down, but unless you have an HTC phone which somehow is on Mango, doesn't have the HTC updates, and isn't already interop-unlocked, this isn't going to do anything for you. If you are in that situation, have at it - for now though, I'm just leaving it up so people can download it and pull it apart.

What it does: Modifies your HTC phone to allow maximum unsigned apps, which will also allow you to deploy and run apps with ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES. This does not require rolling back to pre-Mango. It is designed for use on stock ROMs. It is expected to work on all GSM HTC Windows Phone 7 devices. It might even work on the Arrive (can't hurt to try). You can read more about Interop Unlock here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963

What it needs:
HTC Windows Phone (in theory, any of them)
Developer-unlock (AppHub account or ChevronWP7 Labs should be fine)
Connection Setup app (it's in Marketplace under HTC Apps)

What you do:
0) Install Connection Setup, if you haven't already.
1) Start Connection Setup, just to make sure it works. You don't have to do anything, just start it.
2) Exit Connection Setup using the Back button (so it's not running or suspended).
3) Install HtcInteropUnlock.xap. You don't need to run it.
4) Run Connection Setup again.
5) Expand the AppBar menu (... at the bottom) and choose "manual select".
5.a) The Country and Carrier list-picker boxes should become enabled.
5.b) If they don't, hit "manual select" again, it takes two taps on my phone.
6) Tap on Country and select "Phone Customization" (you can use the jump list to get to P quickly).
7) Carrier should automatically change to "Dev and Interop Unlock" (make sure this happens).
8) Hit the check mark at the bottom (AppBar "ok").
9) Make sure it reports success, then hit Done.
10) Try to install / run an interop app (or just install an 11th unsigned app).

Please report what happens, including the following info:
Your phone model (mine is HTC HD7, T-Mobile US branded).
Your version info (mine is 7720, no HTC Mango updates).
Success or failure of the whole operation.
If failure, indicate the exact step that went wrong, and what happened instead.

Be aware: This method does not damage your data connection in any way, but it will probably prevent Connection Setup from working normally. This can be undone. However, I didn't want to put the effort into making it reversible until I knew whether it worked on other phones, so if you need Connection Setup for its official purpose, don't install the initial release of this app.

This app builds on the work of multiple members of our community. Special thanks go to:
Heathcliff74, for researching interop-unlock and discovering the xap-deployer hack.
kounadisk, for researching how to add custom entries to Connection Setup.

Attachments

• HtcInteropUnlock.xap
    40.9 KB · Views: 4,508
Last edited:

sayonical

Dec 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I am already interop-unlocked but
OMG I am tempted to roll back to nodo, update the official way then unlock this way!

Watching this thread :D Kudos!

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
For what it's worth, I'm interop-unlocked already too, so I haven't actually tested this app on a non-IU phone. However, it should work just fine, provided that Connection setup was installed from the Marketplace.

On the plus side, by using this method you can restore your interop-unlock if you ever lose it (if you IUed the way I did, then an update might cause you to lose IU without being able to get it back the same way - but this method should still work).

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Nothing special is supposed to happen. The change is invisible. As for the Interop Unlock app itself, it's just a stub - all of the "what it does" is entirely in the install process. Once it's installed, you can even remove the app.

Try installing this app: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1238519
If you can install it (without modifying the XAP file) then your interop-unlock worked!

Alternatively, try installing Registry Editor 1.2.0.0 from TouchXperience: http://forum.touchxperience.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=593. It goes in the Settings hub, but if you can install and run that, then there was great success!

jandevries12

Sep 17, 2004
Ok, tried this on my HTC Titan.
I selected "Phone Customization" as country and "Dev and Interop Unlock" as carrier and applied these settings. The Connection Setup app reported that it successfully configured the phone.
But ... it does not seem to have any effect (yet, I hope!). I still can't sideload more than 10 apps.

My Titan is on WP7 version 7.10.7740.16.
Connection Setup app is version 1.12 (build 2119.18323)/

Reactions: GoodDayToDie

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I'm hoping it works anyhow, but it's possible it wouldn't. It really depends what's in those updates.

For example, we know they modified the HTCFileUtility driver in some way, but we don't know exactly how. TouchXplorer stopped working, but Connection Setup (which also uses ComFileRW.dll) still works. I know it works because if it didn't, you wouldn't be able to see the Phone Customization option.

It's possible that the update made some other change that made it impossible to change the MaxUnsignedApp value from within Connection Setup or something unfortunate like that.

I can modify the app to make some more obvious change when Connection Setup does its thing. For example, forcibly change your phone's accent color or some such. Really, though, I'm hoping that won't be needed.

One thing to try is rebooting the phone. I don't think it's required, but it can't hurt and might help.

stryker09

Dev/Interop applies from Connection Setup but can't install an app with interop (ansar's USBModeSwitch XAP) enabled (in my case 3rd unsigned app since i have a student account).

Mozart 7720, with latest HTC updates installed.

update: rebooted. not installing still. it auto-starts Connection Setup, ran it again, doesnt work still.

cheers.

Last edited:

jandevries12

Sep 17, 2004
One thing to try is rebooting the phone. I don't think it's required, but it can't hurt and might help.

Rebooting does not help... Still can't sideload more than 10 apps.

I think it would be a good idea to try and edit some other registry setting in the provxml, that has visible consequences. Then at least we can verify if changing that setting works.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@MJCS: It already writes a test value to the registry:
KEY: HKCU\Software\DeployProvXml
VALUE: InteropUnlock
DATA: "Success" (String)

Can somebody who was already interop-unlocked but has installed the HTC updates use this app, then check if that value exists? It does on my phone, but of course I don't have the HTC updates.

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
@MJCS: It already writes a test value to the registry:
KEY: HKCU\Software\DeployProvXml
VALUE: InteropUnlock
DATA: "Success" (String)

Can somebody who was already interop-unlocked but has installed the HTC updates use this app, then check if that value exists? It does on my phone, but of course I don't have the HTC updates.

My HD7S has all the latest updates, and is already interop-unlocked.

I tried the app out, and checked the registry and found no such entry.

I hope you get this figured out today before I pick up my Titan. Haha.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 2: Heathcliff74 has taken a look into the reason that this method wasn't working on phones with the HTC updates for Mango, and appears to have found a work-around! I strongly suggest that people try his version instead of mine. The instructions are similar but not identical. Scroll down to the bottom of this first post and use the HTC Interop Unlock XAP located there:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963

If you want to post your results in this thread, please specify which XAP you are using, mine or Heathcliff74's. There are known limitations with mine. There still seem to be some limits with his, be we aren't sure exactly what they are yet.

UPDATE: This is disappointing, but apparently HTC has put yet another roadblock in our way. I'm working on a way around the next one. I can't say how long it will take, but I beat the last one (process arbitrary provxml on an interop-locked phone) and I'll beat this one (allow Connection Setup to modify the registry again, after the HTC updates).

I'll update this thread again when I have a new version to test. Guesses as to the problem's root cause, suggestions for fixing it, and anything else you've found are all welcome.

I'm not taking the initial release of the app down, but unless you have an HTC phone which somehow is on Mango, doesn't have the HTC updates, and isn't already interop-unlocked, this isn't going to do anything for you. If you are in that situation, have at it - for now though, I'm just leaving it up so people can download it and pull it apart.

What it does: Modifies your HTC phone to allow maximum unsigned apps, which will also allow you to deploy and run apps with ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES. This does not require rolling back to pre-Mango. It is designed for use on stock ROMs. It is expected to work on all GSM HTC Windows Phone 7 devices. It might even work on the Arrive (can't hurt to try). You can read more about Interop Unlock here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963

What it needs:
    HTC Windows Phone (in theory, any of them)
    Developer-unlock (AppHub account or ChevronWP7 Labs should be fine)
    Connection Setup app (it's in Marketplace under HTC Apps)

What you do:
    0) Install Connection Setup, if you haven't already.
    1) Start Connection Setup, just to make sure it works. You don't have to do anything, just start it.
    2) Exit Connection Setup using the Back button (so it's not running or suspended).
    3) Install HtcInteropUnlock.xap. You don't need to run it.
    4) Run Connection Setup again.
    5) Expand the AppBar menu (... at the bottom) and choose "manual select".
    5.a) The Country and Carrier list-picker boxes should become enabled.
    5.b) If they don't, hit "manual select" again, it takes two taps on my phone.
    6) Tap on Country and select "Phone Customization" (you can use the jump list to get to P quickly).
    7) Carrier should automatically change to "Dev and Interop Unlock" (make sure this happens).
    8) Hit the check mark at the bottom (AppBar "ok").
    9) Make sure it reports success, then hit Done.
    10) Try to install / run an interop app (or just install an 11th unsigned app).

Please report what happens, including the following info:
    Your phone model (mine is HTC HD7, T-Mobile US branded).
    Your version info (mine is 7720, no HTC Mango updates).
    Success or failure of the whole operation.
    If failure, indicate the exact step that went wrong, and what happened instead.

Be aware: This method does not damage your data connection in any way, but it will probably prevent Connection Setup from working normally. This can be undone. However, I didn't want to put the effort into making it reversible until I knew whether it worked on other phones, so if you need Connection Setup for its official purpose, don't install the initial release of this app.

This app builds on the work of multiple members of our community. Special thanks go to:
    Heathcliff74, for researching interop-unlock and discovering the xap-deployer hack.
    kounadisk, for researching how to add custom entries to Connection Setup.
    Ok guys.

I don't want to anticipate too much, because I'm not sure yet. But I think I have found a break-through for Interop Unlock on HTC's!

I reverse engineered the HTC drivers and looked at the part where xml's get rejected. I think I can craft an XML that contains necessary setting for Interop Unlock and fool the checks in the driver to allow it to provision.

But I still need to test some details to be sure. If it was just one thing, I would make a test app and ask you to test it. But I actually need to run a series of tests, so it's much easier when I have a hands-on device. @CeesHeim sent me a HTC HD7 yesterday, so I hope to receive it tomorrow. If I can test the apparent exploits I will let you know the result!

Fingers crossed!
    Heathcliff74
    What'd you do to get it to work? Can you give me the steps you took. My g.f's been dieing to get custom themes. Have you tried the advance config yet?

Also how did you get the mms and apn settings back to normal?

FOR VERIZON WIRELESS USERS

yes .. advanced config works .. its a little buggy , but works . I would recommend that you start fresh, thats what i had to do after several failed attempts . uninstall connection setup .While it is uninstalled , push the second test XAP from here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963&page=61

Once you have deployed that , reboot , and reinstall connection setup .If it will not install again from the market , put your phone in airplane mode and download over wifi (i had to do that) . Now is the tricky part , since connection setup does not work on the VZW Trophy . The timing here is VERY important . You only get one chance to do this , or you will have to reboot and try again . But go to Settings > Cellular . Then under "Mode Selection" , choose GSM and quickly fling to the app list where you can see Connection Setup . Keep an eye on your data connection (keep hitting the notification bar to make it drop down if you have to . You should see your 3g drop to 1x ...it will sit at 1x for a few seconds , keep watching , when it shows the signal bars with the circle with a line through it , THATS when you hit Connection Setup . It should open and think you are on Vodaphone .

Hit the dots in the bottom right > manual select > choose Interop Unlock > Hit OK > Hit done . It should say its completed/successful , whatever .

Thats it . From there deploy a interop app and test it . Once you have it working , reboot . When phone is running again , go to settings > cellular > change back to CDMA .

I have not needed to use connection setup again . All MMS messages go through and 3g is fine .

Of course as everything else , do this at your own risk . But with the help of Heathcliff , it went smoothly . When running Advanced config , you will get an error upon applying a theme , just ignore it , close the app and find your new color in settings .

Please let me know if i left anything out , i tried to be detailed .
    I'm looking through the code of the HTC provision driver. So far, I have not found an exploit for the whitelist. But, the way it is set up, I have hope that it can be done. It's late now. Gotta get some sleep. I will do another attempt tomorrow.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    First test results are disappointing. :(

I did some test and I expected to see some results but there are none. It could be because the HD7 is on a custom DFT ROM. @ceesheim created stock rom, that I can flash (rom without SPL). I will try that tomorrow and I will try to find the reason for these disappointing results. I still believe it should be possible with these tools and exploits. To be continued...

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74