[Q] Best ICS Rom?

Search This thread

Mazout360

Feb 17, 2012
Montreal
It doesn't hurt to give a small review of the rom, though, if someone just wants your opinion. Eventually, he'll probably get around to trying them , but maybe he just wants a place to start for now. At the very least, be a bit less eilitist when you're saying for him to try the roms for himself.

Indeed. With all these excellent ROMS out there, it might be confusing at first to know where to start.
Personnally, I think Owain's ROM is the most stable out there, but still i'm using the Genesis as it is very customizable and promising and there's also the HFS which is very good looking. With Harsh 1904 kernel, they are all very functionnal and performs better than my stock G2X. It all depends on what you prefer, try them all and see by yourself:p

partylikeaninjastar

Apr 13, 2012
SF Bay Area
Indeed. With all these excellent ROMS out there, it might be confusing at first to know where to start.
Personnally, I think Owain's ROM is the most stable out there, but still i'm using the Genesis as it is very customizable and promising and there's also the HFS which is very good looking. With Harsh 1904 kernel, they are all very functionnal and performs better than my stock G2X. It all depends on what you prefer, try them all and see by yourself:p

I've also noticed that they ALL perform better than stock G2x. I actually hated this phone until I flashed an ICS rom. Even after I rooted it, I just kept it stock for about a month and used Titanium Backup to freeze apps which helped the phone perform better, but it was still crap. After the first ICS rom I tried (HFS 1.4), I noticed way better performance minus the common ICS issues we all get.

Owain's definitely next on my to do list (and the last I need to try). I'm currently on Genesis beta 4 and I'm liking it so far. I haven't noticed as many data issues as I did when I used AOKP, but I'm also using Harsh kernel this time so that might make a difference. I am missing some of the tweaks from AOKP, though.

I think I'll run Genesis at least for a week, though. I've gotten into the habit of switching roms pretty frequently.

Here's a question, though: does the home screen lag every so often for you guys, too? It doesn't matter which rom I use or which launcher (Apex is awesome, BTW), but every once in a while the home screen lags and just stays blank for a few seconds.

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Unfortunately if there"s one thing about this phone that could have been better is the ram size. 512 is too little for a dual core phone,furthermore on these experimental ICS.

The more Apps,Widgets you run that"s stuff that keeps running in background, furthermore there are some running all the time.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

Mazout360

Feb 17, 2012
Montreal
Here's a question, though: does the home screen lag every so often for you guys, too? It doesn't matter which rom I use or which launcher (Apex is awesome, BTW), but every once in a while the home screen lags and just stays blank for a few seconds.

Yes I also noticed that issue with Genesis used with Harsh 1904 kernel. As far as I know there's no option to keep the launcher in RAM (preventing force closes when free memory goes down) in this rom whereas activating that option in Owain's build fixed the issue. Maybe by fixing the OOM grouping of the launcher using V6 Supercharger would help ?

rarert

Nov 14, 2009
I definitely sympathize with the question even if I also agree that which rom is the best is very subjective. I started trying out all the ICS roms a few weeks ago and thought I'd have a clear favorite in the end but I was wrong.

Stability wise all the ICS roms are very similar. They all have an unfortunate issue of having trouble switching over to data from wifi, for which airplane toggle off and on usually fixes it for me - this sounds like a base ICS 4.0.4 issue. For me they also periodically slow down and even crash and the overall performance is quite a bit worse than GB, but the features make it so that I can't go back to GB and it is stable and fast enough. I also noticed some random incompatibilities with apps, like I can't press the install button in the Amazon App Store (anyone know if there is a fix for that?)

Like the above commenter, Eaglesblood AOSP seemed the most stable to me and I will be checking it out again when they have a new release. That said I am currently using Genesis (+ Harsh Kernel), which is based on AOKP, and it is very nice. For me, personally, right now, it's between Eaglesblood AOSP (when the new ver hits) and Genesis though all of the roms have their bonuses and I change my mind pretty often. HFS has great visual flair and was pretty stable for me, owain does a bunch of tweaks / fixes to the base CM9, AOKP has a ton of configuration settings.

TL;DR: ICS is definitely still beta but you can't go wrong with any of the ICS roms.
What is AOSP and AOKP? I can't find the definition. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Is the Video Camera working on any ICS yet?

SefEXE

Aug 1, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
What is AOSP and AOKP? I can't find the definition. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Is the Video Camera working on any ICS yet?

Odd that you couldn't find the definitions, but:

AOSP - Android Open Source Project

AOKP - Android Open Kang Project

With the acronyms unraveled, I hope that you can find a better definition for them, than if I try.

Video Camera? No.

When it does work, I'm sure you'll see lots of celebrating.

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Yes I also noticed that issue with Genesis used with Harsh 1904 kernel. As far as I know there's no option to keep the launcher in RAM (preventing force closes when free memory goes down) in this rom whereas activating that option in Owain's build fixed the issue. Maybe by fixing the OOM grouping of the launcher using V6 Supercharger would help ?

Dude I don't know about you guys, but i just got the supercharger last night and everything is faster.
I think it's really useful for ICS, Usually phone with Ics or even experimental ones have more ram than this phone.So a better ram managing is effective rather than the regular Android way

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
Dude I don't know about you guys, but i just got the supercharger last night and everything is faster.
I think it's really useful for ICS, Usually phone with Ics or even experimental ones have more ram than this phone.So a better ram managing is effective rather than the regular Android way

No, incorrect. The Nexus S was one of the first to have ICS and it only has 512mb and it runs it fine.

Plus the only thing he is changing are the minfree's which you can do yourself.

Sent from Narnia

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Dude your an idiot,no asked you

Do you even know what supercharger actually does? Basically adjusts minfree and oom grouping/fragmentation.

Ics is perfectly fine on my vibrant and my g2x. Both are low ram devices. The Linux/android kernel takes care of your ram and is designed to run under a steady load. It will constantly free ram and allocate it when its needed. Even stock kernels do that.

On topic: "best" is all on user prefrence. I personally go with functionality and customization that I like and use. Quadrant scores don't mean jack. You can take any stock rom convert it to ext4 and boom quadrant scores. Hell I can out quadrant my nexus with my g2x all day, but does that make it "better"?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: IRASadPanda

NekoNyapii

Jan 5, 2012
Mesa
I've also noticed that they ALL perform better than stock G2x. I actually hated this phone until I flashed an ICS rom. Even after I rooted it, I just kept it stock for about a month and used Titanium Backup to freeze apps which helped the phone perform better, but it was still crap. After the first ICS rom I tried (HFS 1.4), I noticed way better performance minus the common ICS issues we all get.

Owain's definitely next on my to do list (and the last I need to try). I'm currently on Genesis beta 4 and I'm liking it so far. I haven't noticed as many data issues as I did when I used AOKP, but I'm also using Harsh kernel this time so that might make a difference. I am missing some of the tweaks from AOKP, though.

I think I'll run Genesis at least for a week, though. I've gotten into the habit of switching roms pretty frequently.

If you buy a G2x and you don't root it and keep it stock, it just seems terrible. When I got the G2x, I did not like it until I rooted it and install custom roms. IMO, this is one of those phones that must be rooted, take advantage of the stock android speed.

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek

You're posting in a forum where anyone can post back, so yes, you asked. And, I'm right, so I'm an idiot? Great logic you have there.

Since I am such an idiot, why don't you tell me what supercharger actually does? And why ICS can't run on 512 MB RAM when it runs perfectly on phones like the Vibrant, the Nexus S, and even the Captivate.

Sent from Narnia

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Do you even know what supercharger actually does? Basically adjusts minfree and oom grouping/fragmentation.

Ics is perfectly fine on my vibrant and my g2x. Both are low ram devices. The Linux/android kernel takes care of your ram and is designed to run under a steady load. It will constantly free ram and allocate it when its needed. Even stock kernels do that.

On topic: "best" is all on user prefrence. I personally go with functionality and customization that I like and use. Quadrant scores don't mean jack. You can take any stock rom convert it to ext4 and boom quadrant scores. Hell I can out quadrant my nexus with my g2x all day, but does that make it "better"?

Yea I never really cared about quadrants and such. Just on ics apps do force close a lot more often than lets say gb.well get there someday.

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Yea I never really cared about quadrants and such. Just on ics apps do force close a lot more often than lets say gb.well get there someday.

That's mostly because ics for g2x is hack and patched together. Especially in the hardware acceleration department. Which many ics apps depend on.

If nvidia and lg would simply provide us with source for a device and processor line that's end of lifed and outdated then we wouldnt have to use legacy drivers. Why do you think so many manufacturers stay away from tegra processors?

Last edited:

partylikeaninjastar

Apr 13, 2012
SF Bay Area
If you buy a G2x and you don't root it and keep it stock, it just seems terrible. When I got the G2x, I did not like it until I rooted it and install custom roms. IMO, this is one of those phones that must be rooted, take advantage of the stock android speed.

I agree 100% with this! On paper, this phone sounds really good which is why I got it on a new contract. I was more satisified with the overall performance of my Virgin Mobile Optimus V. When I finally rooted it and froze some apps with Titanium Backup, I noticed a drastic improvement on this phone and actually started to like it. Then, after flashing my first rom to it, I fell in love with it for the first time.

I still can't wait for an upgrade or for my contract to end so I can switch to Sprint, but at least now this phone is usuable.

Mazout360

Feb 17, 2012
Montreal
This phone is a beast when rooted and modded..I can't believe the company itself sells a bugged phone which keeps shutting down like the stock g2x...
I'm still waiting for the day LG would actually release a "mostly functional" mobile
Envoyé depuis mon LG-P999 avec Tapatalk

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
This phone is a beast when rooted and modded..I can't believe the company itself sells a bugged phone which keeps shutting down like the stock g2x...
I'm still waiting for the day LG would actually release a "mostly functional" mobile
Envoyé depuis mon LG-P999 avec Tapatalk

The 2.3.4 update from LG seems fully functional

Sent from Narnia

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Owain+Harsh kernel because I like USB Mass Storage. lol
    This is exactly what i want to avoid. Reading through thousands of posts or flashing and using several different roms. I am looking for input from people who have already done this.

Flashing roms and experimenting with each one is suppose to be FUN! I always enjoy flashing different roms and trying them out.

The devs provide these roms free of charge and now you're too lazy to even use them to your advantage? Wow.

And I can understand if you're looking for reviews while you are buying something, but this is free. And plus when people post their favorite roms, its kind of an insult to the other devs because roms shouldn't even be compared and I doubt the devs want their roms to be compared.

Just try them all and judge for yourself which one is right for you.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
    I usually don't respond to topics like this, and i'm sorry if this sounds mean, but that just sounds lazy.
    Reinventing the wheel is stupid. Is it lazy to look up that gravitational acceleration on Earth is 9.8m/s squared, or should I start dropping rocks off a high building to figure it out myself? It is lazy to look up Amazon reviews on a product, or should I order each and every one myself and then decide the merits independently?

There are like 20 damn ICS ROMs for the P999, all of which are probably 95% the same except for stupid stuff like theme/colors. It's confusing as hell.

Which ones are good? Which ones are lame? In what way? I want to know as well.
    So far I've tried HFS 1.4 and 1.6, EB, and I'm currently on AOKP build 32. I'm going to try Genesis this weekend when the next build is released. They all more or less run the same. EB is pretty bare with less options and it may just be my mind, but it feels like it runs the smoothest, but it's lacking some features that the other ROMs have that I wish it icluded. The difference between HFS and AOKP are mostly cosmetic and how you can customize them. It does seems like AOKP has more data connection dropping issues than both HFS and EB, though. I know it's a known problem with ICS ROMs, but I didn't really notice before when using either HFS or EB, but with AOKP I've noticed it frequently or maybe I've just been playing on my phone more.

If I had to choose? I honestly don't know. If it wasn't for the more apparent data drops, I'd probably just stay on AOKP. HFS added some cosmetic changes I really didn't like (the red star when answering calls), but I'm looking forward to the next build. If I wasn't hopping back and forth between different ROMs, though, I'd probably just stay on EB.