[Q] Tethering without carrier (3UK) knowing?

Search This thread

Quiver2014

Feb 12, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm sending back my iPhone 5S to Apple tomorrow (terrible battery life!).
I'm thinking of purchasing a Galaxy Note 3 when I get my refund through.
Now my only concern here is the fact I will lose the TetherMe application.
I'm on a 3UK PAYG plan for £15 a month and I get All You Can Eat data.
However, because I'm not on the One Plan I am not "allowed" to tether.
Please do not reply to this thread to say "solution: get the one plan" LOL!
TetherMe spoofed it to make it look like data was coming from your phone.
I actually got away with TetherMe for 2 weeks and they still didn't block me.
Is there an application on Android that will do pretty much the same thing?
I'm not just looking for a hack that enables tethering. I want to hide it too.
I understand PDANet has a "Hide Tethering" feature. How effective is it?

To clarify, if 3UK detect tethering they'll redirect all browsing to this page:
"Are you using your phone as a modem or personal hotspot?" Familiar?

I'd show you a screenshot of this precise page, only I can't post links.
Anyway, as crappy as the iPhone battery is, I will really miss TetherMe.
But I've decided I can't have a phone that dies every 4-5 hours either. :p

Last edited:

notegalaxy

Dec 20, 2011
Well I've never had an issue tethering anything on Vodafone UK. Android has the functionality built in. But in terms of the block, I'm assuming it's looking at browser user agent. If you spoof your browser, (firefox has addons) that will probably work, if it's looking at protocols, you just won't be able to use bit torrent etc. Don't take my word for it though. Just a few ideas.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quiver2014

Feb 12, 2014
TetherMe on iPhone worked without spoofing the browser's user agent.
Meaning to say I used it just as I would use any normal desktop internet.
Even downloaded windows updates and updates to Ubisoft games on it. ;)
I don't want to make my 24 inch PC screen load mobile pages for sites lol!
And based on the above I'm not entirely sure that user agents come into it.

skibadee

Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
I'm guessing they can tell with their own software. Maybe flashing a stock btu (non 3 branded rom). A mate of mine has never been detected by 3. He does use blutooth tethering mainly to save battery apparently. Not sure if this prevents the detection?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Quiver2014

Feb 12, 2014
I'm guessing they can tell with their own software. Maybe flashing a stock btu (non 3 branded rom). A mate of mine has never been detected by 3. He does use blutooth tethering mainly to save battery apparently. Not sure if this prevents the detection?

To be fair, I don't know "why" TetherMe worked, but I do know that it "did" work.
I'm wondering whether anyone has had any luck with sneaky Android tethering.
I mean, on iPhone, the native tethering feature is enabled by default anyway. ;)
But try and use it and you get redirected to that page on their site. It's useless.
But with a jailbroken iPhone with TetherMe installed: that's a very different story.
I was delighted/surprised by just how much I got away with when using TetherMe.

There are a gazillion android apps and hacks to "enable" tethering.
But my concern is how many actually work without carrier detecting.
TetherMe works. But TetherMe isn't available on Android, only iPhone.

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
Before I got the one plan and tethering part of my plan, I was tethering for well over year probably closer to 2 without any problems, despite it "not being allowed" as long as you don't take the p£&@ you'll be fine, from my experience anyway.

gingerdude

Apr 23, 2012
Agreed, I'm on 3 UK and I can use the note 3 to teather other devices to and I don't have the one plan.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Quiver2014

Feb 12, 2014
Agreed, I'm on 3 UK and I can use the note 3 to teather other devices to and I don't have the one plan.

Do you tether often? Are you a heavy user or just an occasional light browser?
Of course I'm a heavy user who likes to stream stuff like Netflix on unlimited. :p
Obviously my home internet isn't unlimited hence why I resort to the mobile. ;)
Also, is this with the native tethering feature or do you use a hack or a VPN?

gingerdude

Apr 23, 2012
Native WiFi hotspot in notes setting and light to medium rethering I would guess, mainly when our virgin router goes down ... So maybe twice a month but then it would be hammered for those times. :)
The wife tethered a whole season of sons of anarchy the other Sunday with no issues.

Last edited:

skibadee

Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
Hi guys,
I'm sending back my iPhone 5S to Apple tomorrow (terrible battery life!).
I'm thinking of purchasing a Galaxy Note 3 when I get my refund through.
Now my only concern here is the fact I will lose the TetherMe application.
I'm on a 3UK PAYG plan for £15 a month and I get All You Can Eat data.
However, because I'm not on the One Plan I am not "allowed" to tether.
Please do not reply to this thread to say "solution: get the one plan" LOL!
TetherMe spoofed it to make it look like data was coming from your phone.
I actually got away with TetherMe for 2 weeks and they still didn't block me.
Is there an application on Android that will do pretty much the same thing?
I'm not just looking for a hack that enables tethering. I want to hide it too.
I understand PDANet has a "Hide Tethering" feature. How effective is it?

To clarify, if 3UK detect tethering they'll redirect all browsing to this page:
"Are you using your phone as a modem or personal hotspot?" Familiar?

I'd show you a screenshot of this precise page, only I can't post links.
Anyway, as crappy as the iPhone battery is, I will really miss TetherMe.
But I've decided I can't have a phone that dies every 4-5 hours either. :p

Just noticed your paying 15 a month for payg. Your not contract bound so why not pay the same 15 a month for the 1 plan (I'm on)?

It's a 1 yr contract, unless you can't get a contract?

2000 min 5000 text and unlimited data + tethering allowed!

Quiver2014

Feb 12, 2014
Just noticed your paying 15 a month for payg. Your not contract bound so why not pay the same 15 a month for the 1 plan (I'm on)?

It's a 1 yr contract, unless you can't get a contract?

2000 min 5000 text and unlimited data + tethering allowed!

As I said above: "Please do not reply to this thread to say "solution: get the one plan"
I have my reasons. This post wasn't helpful. :eek:

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Most, if not all UK telecom giants won't offer tethering on PAYG, for whatever reason they don't let us know. - There used to be a few apps around that can get around the tethering but when I tried I got the msg about 30minute disconnect etc. -- While you may have your reasons for not going contract, it would seem the One Plan is the only option that you can actually use for it.

Quiver2014

Feb 12, 2014
Most, if not all UK telecom giants won't offer tethering on PAYG, for whatever reason they don't let us know. - There used to be a few apps around that can get around the tethering but when I tried I got the msg about 30minute disconnect etc. -- While you may have your reasons for not going contract, it would seem the One Plan is the only option that you can actually use for it.
There are hacks that work. TetherMe is a classic example but TetherMe is only available on iOS. ;)
My reason for posting this thread were to find out if there was something like TetherMe for Android.
But yes, in terms of native tethering and hacks that don't work properly, yes, tethering is blocked. :(

skibadee

Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
As I said above: "Please do not reply to this thread to say "solution: get the one plan"
I have my reasons. This post wasn't helpful. :eek:

Sorry missed that bit, hope my previous post was more useful ;)

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

There are hacks that work. TetherMe is a classic example but TetherMe is only available on iOS. ;)
My reason for posting this thread were to find out if there was something like TetherMe for Android.
But yes, in terms of native tethering and hacks that don't work properly, yes, tethering is blocked. :(

Are you using a 3 branded rom or plain btu? Just wondering if that makes a difference

Quiver2014

Feb 12, 2014
Sorry missed that bit, hope my previous post was more useful ;)

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Are you using a 3 branded rom or plain btu? Just wondering if that makes a difference

It will be a factory unlocked device, not a 3 branded device.
Not sure if that makes a difference, it doesn't usually though.

client2681

Jun 13, 2015
tetherme on android?

Well I've never had an issue tethering anything on Vodafone UK. Android has the functionality built in. But in terms of the block, I'm assuming it's looking at browser user agent. If you spoof your browser, (firefox has addons) that will probably work, if it's looking at protocols, you just won't be able to use bit torrent etc. Don't take my word for it though. Just a few ideas.

Have you found a solution?as im in the same boat as you. i was using iphone 4 with tetherme but of the poor signal range of
the iphone 4 i try my wifes old samsung note2 but Three keeps detecting that im tethering from the note 2
before on the iphone 4 tetherme worked no problems.
but with android i tried at least 25 apps but non worked.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Have you found a solution?as im in the same boat as you. i was using iphone 4 with tetherme but of the poor signal range of
the iphone 4 i try my wifes old samsung note2 but Three keeps detecting that im tethering from the note 2
before on the iphone 4 tetherme worked no problems.
but with android i tried at least 25 apps but non worked.

rogeriopcf

Apr 26, 2008
www.rogerio.eu
Hi guys,

I have a Note 3 and I'm using Three Mobile UK with All-you-can-eat data. Since the beginning of the year, I've been using an official Poland ROM, which was the first one I got with Android 5.0 and I just kept it because my tethering was not being detect since then.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to change my ROM with one based on the Note 5 and this was very good, but unfortunately the tethering have started to be detected. I've tried everything that I could think of, but nothing would hide the tethering from Three.
I got feed up with it and went to find out what Rom did I have before, which I did. I went then to SamMobile and downloaded the same ROM I had before, installed it and it the tethering immediately stopped being detected
All this say that according to my experience, the best thing to do is to install a foreign official ROM in your android if you want to hide your tethering. The Poland one works for me, but probably some others would work as well.
Once installed, you just need to change the language to English and that's it. Simple as that!