Nexus 7 car install build thread

Search This thread

zedix79

Nov 15, 2010
Just finished my Nexus 7 install. No audio issues while charging :) Loving it so far.

finished.png

xjairusx

Feb 3, 2008
Nice to see this being done, I've wanted to get a decent car pc in my car for some time. Theres a few double din android solutions out there i've came across which are tempting but the nexus 7 processing power would certainly be a bonus. Some luxuries however like bluetooth control of my actual phone I don't think can be easily achieved?

The models i've been looking at are Erisin ES7135A, Xtrons TD718A - If I had a newer Golf rather than a MK4 i'd of been interested in Erisin ES7036A or Xtrons TD605A as I have canbus display for my radio on my instrument panel. What do you guys think of them as a solution?

zedix79

Nov 15, 2010
Nice to see this being done, I've wanted to get a decent car pc in my car for some time. Theres a few double din android solutions out there i've came across which are tempting but the nexus 7 processing power would certainly be a bonus. Some luxuries however like bluetooth control of my actual phone I don't think can be easily achieved?

The models i've been looking at are Erisin ES7135A, Xtrons TD718A - If I had a newer Golf rather than a MK4 i'd of been interested in Erisin ES7036A or Xtrons TD605A as I have canbus display for my radio on my instrument panel. What do you guys think of them as a solution?

Bluetooth control of the phone is done using an app called TabletTalk. It lets you receive calls, answer, dial, text etc from your tablet, and it controls your phone. Brilliant!

Having a Nexus 7 makes it incredibly powerful. There's no way a double din android solution would be any better + it'll be much more expensive!

xjairusx

Feb 3, 2008
I'm not sure about it being more expensive... lol. Those double din units are available from £220 but the processor really lets it down. Now I must checkout this tablet talk app... edit: checked it out and it appears its just for sms control? :(... ahh it does say something about voice if you have a bluetooth headset... interesting.

Last edited:

zedix79

Nov 15, 2010
I'm not sure about it being more expensive... lol. Those double din units are available from £220 but the processor really lets it down. Now I must checkout this tablet talk app... edit: checked it out and it appears its just for sms control? :(... ahh it does say something about voice if you have a bluetooth headset... interesting.

Here's the way I use it in my setup:

1- Phone is paired with JVC head unit using bluetooth (BT profile for voice).
2- Phone is paired with Nexus 7 using TabletTalk/bluetooth.

All the pairing is done automatically when I enter my car.

When my phone rings:
1- Headunit automatically detects a phone call, switches from aux audio (tablet) to BT audio (phone).
2- TabTalk kicks in and displays a popup window on tablet showing caller ID, picture, and a button to answer or ignore call.
3- Tap the answer button and call goes through.

Magic! :)

Here's a pic of the setup in daylight:

newbezel.jpg

brehon1104

Jan 24, 2009
Here's the way I use it in my setup:

1- Phone is paired with JVC head unit using bluetooth (BT profile for voice).
2- Phone is paired with Nexus 7 using TabletTalk/bluetooth.

All the pairing is done automatically when I enter my car.

When my phone rings:
1- Headunit automatically detects a phone call, switches from aux audio (tablet) to BT audio (phone).
2- TabTalk kicks in and displays a popup window on tablet showing caller ID, picture, and a button to answer or ignore call.
3- Tap the answer button and call goes through.

Magic! :)

Wow that is magic. This is exactly what I want to do in my 2010 Ford Focus. I, and many other I'm sure, would like more details and perhaps a step-by-step?

Thanks,
Brehon1104

Poetik

Jun 16, 2009
I'm curious on the sound quality of this especially since there isn't a true line out. The sound is being amplified from the nexus 7 and being double amplified by your amplifier. I'm sure it works, but as far as sound quality, there are much better options out there.

Actually you'll probably get better sound quality with a less than $100 head unit. It wouldn't look as nice but it would probably sound better.

brehon1104

Jan 24, 2009
I'm curious on the sound quality of this especially since there isn't a true line out. The sound is being amplified from the nexus 7 and being double amplified by your amplifier. I'm sure it works, but as far as sound quality, there are much better options out there.

Actually you'll probably get better sound quality with a less than $100 head unit. It wouldn't look as nice but it would probably sound better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=j0o1zkqEuec&v=OovlaEEK3RA

here's a video explaining a set up that apparently loses no audio quality and hooks up to other amps speakers etc.

uses a audison bit one. here's an article. http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-makes-best-car-entertainment-system-ever

edit: the audison bit one is pretty expensive. like 600-700 dollars. There must be a cheaper alternative.

here's another solution for a Ford Edge which already has bluetooth enabled. http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-dash-mount-beautifully-simple

Last edited:

Matto.stark

Jun 30, 2010
Just stumbled onto this thread, I have also installed a nexus 7 into the dash of my 2012 VW GTI. I've been really happy with my setup, but I use Bluetooth for my audio connection and sometimes it refuses to auto connect with my head unit. Other than that, love it. Now I just need to finish the rest of my stereo install...

uploadfromtaptalk1356379142739.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

Insertnamehere12

Sep 20, 2010

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...es/BLT370/us-en-product-pf_1259392722474.html

I used this to provide bluetooth support in my 2002 Sebring. Its cheap, has a couple of quirks, but it gets the job done quite nicely

Got it for about $40, then had to install an Aux Adapter for about $100 that took the input of my CD player (Who Needs it when u got pandora?!!)

This should pair nicely with some of the mods in here, solve audio feedback issues, as well as provide steering mounted media/call controls

Enjoy ^^

Phill360

Dec 14, 2010
Looks great. I just wondering what music application your using

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

Phill360

Dec 14, 2010
When I watch your video there seems to be a widget on the desktop which I assume is controlling double twist. Is that widget one that comes with double twist or is it something else you've downloaded?

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys/gals,

Thought i would share my most recent project with you all in the hopes of getting some advice and feedback and showing off my install :p

This will be an incremental build thread, i'll add to it as i get more pics and work my way through some issues.

I have installed a Google/Asus nexus 7 in the dash of my MY00 Subaru WRX. I trialled the optus mytab (AKA ZTE V9) in the dash but it didn't last more than a day since it was a piece of crap performance and audio-wise.

After spending a few months building a nano-itx double din touch screen pc to go in the dash, i changed my mind (for the millionth time) and decided to stick an android in there instead. The intel PC is now sitting in a box at home doing nothing...

The biggest trouble was finding a tablet that would fit in below the A/C controls nicely.. in the end, the N7 was about 3mm too big bit i broke out the dremel and made it fit!

Having trouble with the audio output though, it is horrible... it buzzes every time i touch the screen and it buzzes when wifi is active and it is just generally crap.

I would like to plug in a USB soundcard (DAC), something like the Fiio E10 but then i wouldn't be able to charge the tab while USB OTG is active.

I was hoping that the pogo pins on the side would allow charging whilst the USB dock connector could be used for OTG but it doesn't look like it will work since both the pogo pins and USB connector go to the same usb switch internally.

another edit: there seems to be a thread on the charging issues... i have also just found that my tab drains it's battery faster than it can charge it... I'll have to look into this further: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1791717

Parts list:
    ASUS Google Nexus 7
    4 Channel Nakimichi Amplifier
    Single Channel Class-D 1000W Nakimichi Subwoofer amplifier
    Four-Gauge power/ground
    Gold plated Ground splitter and +12v Splitter/Circuit Breaker
    Oxygen-Free Copper speaker cables (around 12 gauge)
    (coming soon) 1.5 Farad Capacitor (to stop headlights dimming)
    2 x Kenwood 1200W Subwoofers
    4 x Focal 6" Splits
    Good quality RCA cables
    R/A 3.5mm headphone plug to 2x RCA 30cm cable
    R/A Micro USB cable
    gutted tomtom GPS charger
    (coming soon) RCA volume level control (thanks for the idea ahavens17)
    20mm wide metal strips
    Hook and Loop velcro
    Rubber trimming/edging

Update: Added some more pics showing my crude but effective way of holding the tablet in-place.

20120810_215307.jpg
    20120810_215315.jpg

20120810_215323.jpg
    20120810_215407.jpg

To hold the tablet in place, i have used some metal straps cut to size that are screwed on using the screws that hold the top of the ash tray to the dash fascia. I stuck some velcro on to the metal straps and 2 small strips on the back of the tablet to dampen vibration and stop the tablet sliding around sideways. The velcro also stops the metal straps from marking the back of the tablet (not that it matters since it is hidden behind the dash)

You can see how it is done in the pictures above. Also, I am using right-angle micro USB and audio connectors so that they fit nicely in the dash

My blog of the install is here: Finniss.net
    you may or may not find more updated info there as time goes on.
    I'm not talented enough to do this to my car. :( I just have to lay my tablet on the passenger seat.
    This is not a Nexus 7, but a Samsung tab plus, I’m considering getting a nexus 7 as I think it may be a bit smoother.

Heres a video of the final result: (sorry for the poor quality video, my real camera went bad, haven’t got a new one yet)

Not sure how to have the vid in the post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDNiw6AVzmI

Specs:
    Tab Plus (1)
    Tasker
    Google Music
    Torque
    Torque widgets
    Scantool.net OBDlink MX - can always leave it plugged in with the power save modes.
    Behind the scene 120v power inverter so i can use “AC” power charging all the time.

Tablet is setup with taskrr so it turns on BT,WIFI, adjusts screen depending on time of day and displays the custom start up and loading screens while it turns on/off wireless stuff sets screen to always on, etc

When the truck turns off, turns off BT,wifi, turns off ‘screen always on’, displays turn off screen, some other stuff.

I get audio to the truck via BT. doing so all the steering wheel and dash controls work flawlessly. (play/pause, next, previous, etc) only wish android BT supported the audio info protocol (like pandora bt)

Heres some pics of the build:

IMG_20120520_191927.jpg

IMG_20120422_144521.jpg

Vacum formed a mold over the tablet to slide in & out, although it primarily stays in the dash.
    IMG_20120415_130325.jpg

IMG_20120416_072253.jpg

IMG_20120413_193449.jpg

Initial cutting of the dash panel.
    20120412_100238.jpg
    Just finished my Nexus 7 install. No audio issues while charging :) Loving it so far.

finished.png
    I've just undertaken a similar install in my Integra DC5. Beats the hell out of any head unit on the market. Linked up with PS3 Controller also for gaming on the go :p

Day Mode:

IMAG0646.jpg

Night mode:

IMAG0642.jpg