[Q] Challengings for Brain users like me!

Search This thread

STO02

Dec 13, 2013
Hi guys,

First of all, i apologize if I post in a wrong forum, kind of new in XDA. Wanted to thank you all, because, even though, I didn't register, your forum helps me A LOT with android phones... I'm facing a situation with an HTC, and as I surfed the web, and no one seems to have the same problem, I'm adressing it in this forum.

I bought an refurbished mytouch 4g glacier on amazon. When it came, in addition to be locked (not a big problem), I couldn't enter the settings (the linked program is no longer installed on your phone) and worst, there is no dialpad. I assumed that the owner tried to flash it with a corrupt version...
As it is for me a brain challenge, i decided to try to fix it...

I made a factory reset with the buttons (pwr+vol down), same thing! I tried recovery, I think with the S-ON, it didn't work (red triangle). I tried to use wifi to download things or a file manager, but you'll need to access the settings options, and I don't have access. I download SDK manager, but the phone needs to be usb debugging to be found by pc, and I can't access the settings options. I download an usb debugging apk, put it in the sd card, but as there is no file explorer, I could access it...

This is why I asked your help. This is a Glacier pvt ship s-on, with green fonts, (cyanogen 7?: there were a difference with green fonts and orange fonts...)

Thanks in advance.

STO02

unqualified

Nov 14, 2013
Denver
Try flashing PD15IMG in bootloader.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

Ditto. If you don't know whether the phone is rooted, I would just flash the PD15IMG of the stock 2.3.4 ROM by loading the file onto the root of the SD card and booting into the bootloader (volume down + power). Then if after you are sure it works you want to root it, you can always go on from there.

In terms of figuring out which ROM you have, since you can't get to the 'about phone', if your boot animation just has the Tmobile MyTouch 4g logo on a white background, followed by a circular green MyTouch logo, then you are probably on the stock ROM. If it was CM7 or anything else, it would usually have a different custom boot animation.

Good luck!

Last edited:

whytry23000

Jul 28, 2013
Greenville
You can also tell which stock version you are running: 2.2.1 has no quick settings tab in the notification drawer while 2.3.4 does.

STO02

Dec 13, 2013
Re: Challengings

Try flashing PD15IMG in bootloader.

Thank you for your quick answer... I have already done this 5 days ago. I downloaded the PD15img, put it in the sd card (actually, i didn't know which extension to put in the sd card, so i unzip the file and i let the zip one: i put both in the sd assuming the phone will use the best extension it needs!). I use pwr+ vol down, nothing happen.

Any ideas? Maybe if i found an update version of the pd15img?

Thanks for your help

STO02

Dec 13, 2013
Guys, I'm blessed...Not because I found the solution yet, but because I found you thinking with me!

It seems I have the 2.3.4, because, as you said, I have the quick drawer icon. I have already try the bootloader, but i will try again from the beginning. I will download again the pd15img (if it was a problem while downloading) and revert to you in 2 hours.

Thank you again!

unqualified

Nov 14, 2013
Denver
It should be a file named PD15IMG.zip. Any file by that name placed in the root of the sd card will be flashed through the hboot bootloader. Don't unzip it. If it is named exactly that, when you boot into the bootloader via vol down + power, it should scan for it, and if it detects the file, it will ask if you want to update.

Be sure you are using the right PD15IMG.zip file (2.3.4 Stock). There are a lot of files by that name, since it is used to flash all kinds of things (radios, etc.). Looks like it might be available here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1476745&highlight=pd15img&page=10

STO02

Dec 13, 2013
Re: Challengings

Ditto. If you don't know whether the phone is rooted, I would just flash the PD15IMG of the stock 2.3.4 ROM by loading the file onto the root of the SD card and booting into the bootloader (volume down + power). Then if after you are sure it works you want to root it, you can always go on from there.

In terms of figuring out which ROM you have, since you can't get to the 'about phone', if your boot animation just has the Tmobile MyTouch 4g logo on a white background, followed by a circular green MyTouch logo, then you are probably on the stock ROM. If it was CM7 or anything else, it would usually have a different custom boot animation.

Good luck!

I do have the Tmobile MyTouch 4g logo on a white background, followed by a circular green MyTouch logo. I'm on the stock rom then? Is that make any difference or I can still process with downloading pd15img? Anyway, that's worth the try!

I'll keep you posted

unqualified

Nov 14, 2013
Denver
It does sound like you are definitely on stock 2.3.4 since you have the stock boot animation, and the notification bar quick drawer that was introduced with gingerbread 2.3.4.

It only makes a difference if you aren't rooted. If you weren't rooted and flashed a different ROM it probably wouldn't work, and you could get stuck in a boot loop (couldn't get past the hboot menu). But, the fix would be to flash the stock PD15IMG anyway, so you should be fine. Either way, nothing is going to happen unless you flash something, because it sounds like system files have been deleted.

I'm still kind of a noob, but I feel pretty confident with that. I've messed up before and recovered from hboot with a PD15IMG file. Your hboot and recovery sound like they are stock. Just be sure once you have it working that you remove or rename the PD15IMG file from your sdcard, otherwise it will keep trying to flash it when you boot into the bootloader.

STO02

Dec 13, 2013
Re:Challengings

It should be a file named PD15IMG.zip. Any file by that name placed in the root of the sd card will be flashed through the hboot bootloader. Don't unzip it. If it is named exactly that, when you boot into the bootloader via vol down + power, it should scan for it, and if it detects the file, it will ask if you want to update.

Be sure you are using the right PD15IMG.zip file (2.3.4 Stock). There are a lot of files by that name, since it is used to flash all kinds of things (radios, etc.). Looks like it might be available here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1476745&highlight=pd15img&page=10

I followed your link and downloaded the pd15img from there. i placed it in the sd...It detects it like earlier and still give me the message: sd checking....loading pd15img.zip....no image or wrong file image.

Any more ideas?

unqualified

Nov 14, 2013
Denver
Some ideas here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1035044

one person suggested making sure the sd card is FAT32 formatted, seemed to help his issue.

Also, you might want to be sure that even if it gives you that error message, there isn't a loading bar on the right hand side of the screen making progress. If I recall the last time I did it, it wasn't obvious it had worked, and loaded for a few minutes before popping up with 'do you want to update?'

STO02

Dec 13, 2013

Some ideas here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1035044

one person suggested making sure the sd card is FAT32 formatted, seemed to help his issue.

Also, you might want to be sure that even if it gives you that error message, there isn't a loading bar on the right hand side of the screen making progress. If I recall the last time I did it, it wasn't obvious it had worked, and loaded for a few minutes before popping up with 'do you want to update?'

Good and bad news!!!

The good news: It really makes a difference indeed to format the sd in Fat32. Although i formated it many times, as I used to see FAT, I didn't know there were another option for FAT32. Well, after format it in FAT32, i put the file in the sd card: pd15img loads successfully...

Bad news: I hurrily check if I can access the option: "the linked program is no longer installed on your phone".

At least, we know formating sd card in FAT32 does make a difference!.

Maybe I should try another new rom like 2.3.6?

Any ideas is welcomed!

Thank you

unqualified

Nov 14, 2013
Denver
Wow, head scratcher. If you were rooted with a custom recovery I'd say you probably need to format the system partition and wipe data and cache before flashing, but obviously you can't do that. Might be worth trying a few times to force it through?

I think this is out of my league at this point. Hopefully someone smarter than me will pop in!

Only other thought is maybe something can be done through fastboot? But I wouldn't know what.

STO02

Dec 13, 2013

Did you try both the 2.3.4 and the '2.3.4 new' file found on the aforementioned page?

Yes I did! I even try the 2.2.1...All of them load successfully, but still without succes. It's like they are installed somewhere in the phone, but the original that has the problem never moved.

Is that because S is on?

STO02

Dec 13, 2013
Re:challengings

Wow, head scratcher. If you were rooted with a custom recovery I'd say you probably need to format the system partition and wipe data and cache before flashing, but obviously you can't do that. Might be worth trying a few times to force it through?

I think this is out of my league at this point. Hopefully someone smarter than me will pop in!

Only other thought is maybe something can be done through fastboot? But I wouldn't know what.

Thank you a lot for your help. It's been useful cause I learned a lot, much more than alone. If I get through this, I will post.
My next thinking is to download USB debug apk into the phone, so maybe, it will enable the option and I could use adb. But in order to do that, i should pay to unlock it...(wondering if it worth it). As soon as i put a sim in it, i know my carrier would install the apn settings for me automatically, so i would be online and be able to download. I try the wifi options, but i couldn't connect.

Could you help me with the unlock?

Thanks in advance