[Q] Stuck in bootloop (Free Xperia), cannot connect with ADB nor mount via recovery

Search This thread

bladefinor

May 21, 2014
Stockholm
www.nordlingart.se
So I followed the steps very carefully how to install Free Xperia on my Z1. When I booted up my phone in fastboot mode, LED turned blue and I got a new device on my computer under the name "Sony Fastboot Interface" (I believe I got it from Flashtool). I couldn't see my phone in "adb devices", the list was empty. However, I could still do a "fastboot flash boot.img" using the Free Xperia's boot.img. I rebooted using "fastboot reboot" and I was suddenly stuck in an endless loop of the "Free Xperia" boot screen.

So I tried adding another boot.img (Doomlord's "Advanced Stock Kernel with CWM Recovery.zip"). At least I got back the SONY boot screen, but I am still stuck in a loop. I went to the CWM Recovery menu and tried to mount the sdcard to my computer but with no success. I looked under Device Manager on my computer to check if the phone was detected, and frankly it is. However, it shows "Xperia Z1" with a yellow triangle stating "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)". No matter if I try to uninstall/update drivers or download the official Xperia Z1 drivers and point it to that, I get the message "Windows could not find driver software for your device." So I cannot connect my phone storage to my computer, can't access the phone via ADB, nor can I use fastboot boot a working boot.img.

I searched around on Google and found a solution using EMMA (Sony's own Flash Tool for Xperia devices). But I needed to register an account, and after doing so I never get a confirmation email to activate my account. So I'm stuck where I am. What to do now?

I'm not even sure if my phone is unlocked yet or not. I did the "fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY" (with my own key I got in the mail from Sony's generator) and it said "OKAY [ 21.790s]" etc. I presumed that it got unlocked by then. Right?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Ahki767

Sep 14, 2013
CAT
Well, if you followed all the steps on the sony site to get unlock bootloader then it should be unlocked. Cm roms don't work with stock kernels so flashing the advanced stock kernel will not help anything. When you're connected in fastboot mode, you use "fastboot devices" to see the list of device not "adb devices". Since you can get into fastboot mode then get into flash mode and flash a stock ftf with flashtool. Before doing that, try flashing pimped kernel and see if that works

What version of fxp did you flash btw?

Last edited:

bladefinor

May 21, 2014
Stockholm
www.nordlingart.se
Well, if you followed all the steps on the sony site to get unlock bootloader then it should be unlocked. Cm roms don't work with stock kernels so flashing the advanced stock kernel will not help anything. When you're connected in fastboot mode, you use "fastboot devices" to see the list of device not "adb devices". Since you can get into fastboot mode then get into flash mode and flash a stock ftf with flashtool. Before doing that, try flashing pimped kernel and see if that works

What version of fxp did you flash btw?

Thanks for the answer. I was able to revert to stock FTF by following your advice.

I used the fxp honami. Latest CM11 (FXP320-cm-11-20140518-UNOFFICIAL-honami.zip). This was correct right? My phone is a C6903.

I don't understand how to proceed now though. You said I should try flashing a pimped kernel. I looked around and I'm so confused by how many pimped kernels there are, and I'm not exactly sure what a pimped kernel actually is. I need to find the right one specific to my firmware version? It's 14.3.A.0.757 for your info.

Thanks for your help!

Ahki767

Sep 14, 2013
CAT
Thanks for the answer. I was able to revert to stock FTF by following your advice.

I used the fxp honami. Latest CM11 (FXP320-cm-11-20140518-UNOFFICIAL-honami.zip). This was correct right? My phone is a C6903.

I don't understand how to proceed now though. You said I should try flashing a pimped kernel. I looked around and I'm so confused by how many pimped kernels there are, and I'm not exactly sure what a pimped kernel actually is. I need to find the right one specific to my firmware version? It's 14.3.A.0.757 for your info.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds like the latest one so that should be right.
Okay do you have root on .757?? If not, flash doomkernel or the advanced stock kernel to get working root and recovery on stock. And since you weren't sure if your bootloader is unlocked, make sure you double check on that before attempting to reflash fxp cm. I'm sure you know the steps to flash but I'll write it down anyways. Put the rom.zip onto your sdcard, get into your choice of recovery, wipe data factory reset, format /system, flash zip from sdcard. If it still doesn't work for you, try official cm builds instead

There's only one pimped kernel. It's a cm based kernel so don't run it on stock roms or you'll end up in bootloops again

bladefinor

May 21, 2014
Stockholm
www.nordlingart.se
Sounds like the latest one so that should be right.
Okay do you have root on .757?? If not, flash doomkernel or the advanced stock kernel to get working root and recovery on stock. And since you weren't sure if your bootloader is unlocked, make sure you double check on that before attempting to reflash fxp cm. I'm sure you know the steps to flash but I'll write it down anyways. Put the rom.zip onto your sdcard, get into your choice of recovery, wipe data factory reset, format /system, flash zip from sdcard. If it still doesn't work for you, try official cm builds instead

There's only one pimped kernel. It's a cm based kernel so don't run it on stock roms or you'll end up in bootloops again
I do not have root on my .757. It's completely "stock" so to speak, besides the unlocked bootloader (if it is unlocked, I'm not quite sure). How do I check to see if it's unlocked or not? How exactly do you root? I thought I had found a "ROM" of choice (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711982). But then I saw the prerequisites, that it already needed to be rooted to proceed. I've been looking for straight forward guides, but they all just complicate things with alternatives ways etc.

Which ROM would you recommend?

EDIT: I was able to check the phone's bootloader mode via Sony Mobile Flasher. It's unlocked. However, now I'm trying to enter Recover mode again but now since the phone boots correctly again, I never get any pink LED light or anything. No light, it just boots with the Sony/Xperia splash screen logos.

Last edited:

bladefinor

May 21, 2014
Stockholm
www.nordlingart.se
If you do not know if its unlocked then it is not unlocked.

Flash a stock FTF and spend a week or so reading up

You are lucky you have not bricked your phone...just flashing stuff with no idea what you are doing...
It's alright. I had it checked and it was unlocked. I just got the phone rooted now. It was fairly easy now when I had proper instructions...

Thanks for the help Ahki767!! :D

I still have one question remaining though... I cannot get Recovery mode to mount storage. Windows recognizes the device, but shows a yellow triangle:

i.imgur.com/so2idLB.jpg (apparently I cannot send links as a new member)

I tried selecting the official Xperia Z1 drivers downloaded from Sony's website. Got the message: "Windows could not find driver software for your device...". I also get the same message when searching the Internet. This prevents me from accessing the sdcard via Recovery mode.

Plus, I tried going into ADB sideload, and when doing the command: "adb devices", I get an empty list of devices. It doesn't say anything about not finding any devices, it's just empty underneath "List of devices attached".

Last edited: