[Q] Slow data during call

Search This thread

smt8544

Mar 19, 2012
Melbourne
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Nexus 5 32GB to replace my HTC IncS. It is running stock android and kernel, but rooted. I am on Amaysim in Australia (on the Optus 3G network) with connection preference set to 3G (as i don't have 4G service on my plan). My problem is whenever I am in a call, I get my 3G data speed reduced to unusable speeds. This didn't used to happen on my old device, anybody else having this problem?

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
I've always noticed this on all phones. If you're on 4G it'll drop to H in call etc... It always drops down a level or 2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ConorCX

Jan 20, 2013
I've always noticed this on all phones. If you're on 4G it'll drop to H in call etc... It always drops down a level or 2

I suppose that happens too with a H connection as in it'll drop the speed. The call (quite rightly so imo) should take priority over data connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
I've always noticed it. Never actually known if it's phone or network related tho

mikeszf

Jan 31, 2011
The signal tends to downgrade when calling, on my old lg op2x the signal went from H+ to E or G. For the sake of your question I made a call and tried to open a webpage and even though the signal was still on H the download speed didn't went over 1.5KB/s, after a few seconds of hanging up got to 285KB/s after.

I once rea about a US carrier that was offering a service where your data wouldn't drop on call, I don't remember if it was with an specific device though

smt8544

Mar 19, 2012
Melbourne
I do know that the US CDMA networks cannot operate data and voice simultaneously but it suprises me that it is seemingly almost as bad on GSM, seeing as simultaneously voice and data is part of the GSM spec.