3rd Party SMS app (wifi calling support)

Search This thread

Wizard Knight

Apr 24, 2010
Long Island, New York
Hey all, I'm looking to try out some 3rd party sms apps. Not in love with the stock one and Hangouts can't send/receive MMS when I'm connected to wifi.

Anybody know of any SMS apps that MMS works while connected to WIFI like the stock app?

(posting this in general rather than Q&A in case others are looking for the same thing in the future).

Thanks all

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
Are you asking for an app that sends MMS via WiFi? I don't think that's possible. When I'm connected to WiFi on stock app it uses 4g to send MMS and I have wifi calling on too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Are you asking for an app that sends MMS via WiFi? I don't think that's possible. When I'm connected to WiFi on stock app it uses 4g to send MMS and I have wifi calling on too.

it shouldnt. and actually, if youre mobile radio is on when youre connected to wifi calling something isnt right.

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
it shouldnt. and actually, if youre mobile radio is on when youre connected to wifi calling something isnt right.

I think I confused myself lol. Okay, so normally my WiFi calling is set to cellular preferred so most of the time I have cell signal when connected to WiFi. When I'm on WiFi and send a MMS the 4g logo pops up so it never sends MMS on WiFi or at least not when I have a signal. Was op trying to ask for an app that'll send MMS over WiFi calling when he has no cell signal? Also, I think WiFi calling can send regular SMS when there's no cell signal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
I think I confused myself lol. Okay, so normally my WiFi calling is set to cellular preferred so most of the time I have cell signal when connected to WiFi. When I'm on WiFi and send a MMS the 4g logo pops up so it never sends MMS on WiFi or at least not when I have a signal. Was op trying to ask for an app that'll send MMS over WiFi calling when he has no cell signal? Also, I think WiFi calling can send regular SMS when there's no cell signal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

when youre connected to wifi calling your signal bars should be empty with an x signifying you have no mobile radio. wifi calling handles calls/sms/mms. and any 3rd party messaging app other than hangouts should also work the same way since they actually use the stock messaging app still.

Reactions: otariq

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
when youre connected to wifi calling your signal bars should be empty with an x signifying you have no mobile radio. wifi calling handles calls/sms/mms. and any 3rd party messaging app other than hangouts should also work the same way since they actually use the stock messaging app still.

Yep you're right just tested it myself. Thanks. Switched to WiFi preferred, signal went to zero and I was able to send both SMS and MMS from stock messaging app

Attachments

• 1403930410441.jpg
    1403930410441.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Yep you're right just tested it myself. Thanks. Switched to WiFi preferred, signal went to zero and I was able to send both SMS and MMS from stock messaging app

anytime i can be on wifi calling i am. tmo service in my area isnt great even tho we have lte. mms sends almost instantly over wifi and call quality is much better.

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
anytime i can be on wifi calling i am. tmo service in my area isnt great even tho we have lte. mms sends almost instantly over wifi and call quality is much better.

Oh gotcha. It's gotten much better where I live. Now when I make calls a lot of times it says HD in the bottom right. Do you know what that means? At first I thought maybe it was volte but I think that's only implemented in a handful of cities

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Oh gotcha. It's gotten much better where I live. Now when I make calls a lot of times it says HD in the bottom right. Do you know what that means? At first I thought maybe it was volte but I think that's only implemented in a handful of cities

HD means HD calling. T-Mo has it in places and it supposedly makes call quality much better. I havent seen it here yet so I cant comment but Ive read tech site reviews that say its legit. I think Sprint has it too.

According to the T-Mo website HD calls are nationwide now. If thats the case and we have it here, it sucks. Call quality is awful here, echoes and random noise during calls.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.