Google Pixel 2 XL
New File uploaded for KitKat

Instructions
-Download the zip of your desired font
-Boot into recovery
-Make a nandroid backup (Optional)
-Flash the zip
-Reboot

As Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 owner, you may have noticed the curious case of missing fonts for Indian languages in the OS. The truth is that this is like gingerbread and I don't see it being addressed soon. Luckily, Google has started to use Harfbuzz for rendering of complex scripts.

Here is a flashable zip that installs the fonts in the /system/fonts and updates fallback_fonts.xml in /system/etc. Its better than overwriting DroidSansFallback.ttf as it does not break any other glyphs.
This will enable you to read the languages even though rendering is broke for Yuktakshars, Halants etc.

If you want to see Android supporting Indian languages as soon as possible, I request all to star and comment on this issue in Android issue tracker - http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4153

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=16315

I have only tested this on my own Google Nexus S i9023 and Nexus 5 running on KitKat[Android 4.4].

[/SIZE]Google has included full rendering support(and fonts) for -
  • Tamil
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Bengali
  • Devnagari / Hindi
  • Telugu

This zip file has additional fonts for
  1. Punjabi (being my native language)
  2. Nepali
  3. Assamese
  4. Marathi
  5. Gujarati
  6. Oriya
  7. Sindhi
  8. Kashmiri

If you want a language in the pack, provide me font file and I will update the zip. Also if you need to type in your language,I'e found this keyboard to be the best https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kl.ime.oh

BTW Thanks to The Fedora Project for providing Open Source Lohit fonts. Three cheers for them.

Attachments

• desi_fonts.zip
    778.4 KB · Views: 16,226
  • desi_fonts_JB.4.2.x.zip
    743.4 KB · Views: 10,373
  • desi_fonts_KitKat.4.4.zip
    426.1 KB · Views: 8,245
  • desi_fonts_KitKat.4.4_V4_Anmol.zip
    601.4 KB · Views: 9,095
Last edited:

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
Questions or Problems Should Not Be Posted in the Development Forum
Please Post in the Correct Forums

Moving to Q&A

This is not a question, he provided a solution. IMO this should be in the apps n themes sectn.
This is neither a question or a problem but a solution however incomplete it is. Anyways glad to be able to post here on XDA

thanks a lot 4 these..!

nagabushan.c

Dec 28, 2011
Bengaluru
Tried Flashing on SGS... on luck

Tried Flashing on SGS through CWM Recovery.. on luck, got below error.

Error in Desi_Fonts.zip

Please help. Should it needs to be renamed to update.zip and then flash, Please guide.

raihankabir_1

Jul 22, 2011
it is working on motorola xoom runing on ics(teamos build rom). bangla fonts are rendering perfectly.

many many thanks to op. love you bro.

Last edited:

shemulweb

May 27, 2011
gazipur,dhaka
it is not working on cm7.1
it was installed successfully but not working...same problem...well i noticed that you zip cant replace the font correctly...am i wrong ?

by the way thank you so much for care this problem on android world

nagabushan.c

Dec 28, 2011
Bengaluru
Tried on CM7.1 on my Motorola Milestone - not working

Tried on my Motorola Milestone running on 2.3.7 CM7.1

No luck.

This is what i did:
Successfully flashed zip files from Open recovery,
All fonts got installed in /system/fonts directory.
Manually copied extracted fallback_fonts.xml files to /system/etc folder.

let me know if i need to do anything else.

Thanks for your efforts.

vetrivel_sivam

Oct 20, 2011
Chennai
Not working on CM7

Flashed it with CWM.
Manually checked if installation went fine.
All fonts are available with same permission and config file is also proper.

But still rendering is not proper.
Let me know if any further details required.

Thx a lot for your efforts!!!

vikasb32

Inactive Recognized Themer
May 9, 2011
Hardwar
OnePlus 6
It didn't work on cm7 because there is no fallback.xml file in my system/etc.so after flashing zip the fallback.xml copy in system/etc but it didn't work.

nagabushan.c

Dec 28, 2011
Bengaluru
@siffar:

Please guide how to revert the flashed zip file.

I tried replacing Droidsansfallback.ttf with ROJanakannada.ttf, but still it displays your font only (lohith-kannada.ttf).I dont like lohith-kannada.ttf, all alphabets are separate.

suggestion: use ROJanakannada.ttf for kannada. It looks nice and does'nt splits.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New File uploaded for KitKat

Instructions
    -Download the zip of your desired font
    -Boot into recovery
    -Make a nandroid backup (Optional)
    -Flash the zip
    -Reboot

As Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 owner, you may have noticed the curious case of missing fonts for Indian languages in the OS. The truth is that this is like gingerbread and I don't see it being addressed soon. Luckily, Google has started to use Harfbuzz for rendering of complex scripts.

Here is a flashable zip that installs the fonts in the /system/fonts and updates fallback_fonts.xml in /system/etc. Its better than overwriting DroidSansFallback.ttf as it does not break any other glyphs.
    This will enable you to read the languages even though rendering is broke for Yuktakshars, Halants etc.

If you want to see Android supporting Indian languages as soon as possible, I request all to star and comment on this issue in Android issue tracker - http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4153

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=16315

I have only tested this on my own Google Nexus S i9023 and Nexus 5 running on KitKat[Android 4.4].

[/SIZE]Google has included full rendering support(and fonts) for -
    • Tamil
    • Malayalam
    • Kannada
    • Bengali
    • Devnagari / Hindi
    • Telugu

This zip file has additional fonts for
    1. Punjabi (being my native language)
    2. Nepali
    3. Assamese
    4. Marathi
    5. Gujarati
    6. Oriya
    7. Sindhi
    8. Kashmiri

If you want a language in the pack, provide me font file and I will update the zip. Also if you need to type in your language,I'e found this keyboard to be the best https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kl.ime.oh

BTW Thanks to The Fedora Project for providing Open Source Lohit fonts. Three cheers for them.
    Dude - read the thread - n move it back to general :p

General it is ;)

cheers
    @siffar:

Please guide how to revert the flashed zip file.

I tried replacing Droidsansfallback.ttf with ROJanakannada.ttf, but still it displays your font only (lohith-kannada.ttf).I dont like lohith-kannada.ttf, all alphabets are separate.

suggestion: use ROJanakannada.ttf for kannada. It looks nice and does'nt splits.
    Post the file or the URL. I will include it. Thanks for feedback
    Hi siffar,
    desi_fonts.zip was not installing on my HTC One X. So I created another flashable zip out of it. This uses busybox and I tested this on my rooted One X running viperX ROM. Feel free to use this.
    Updated for KitKat