System Fault or USB port hardware problem?

Search This thread

monkeybuttons

Feb 13, 2011
Utah
I recently purchased two used A100's for a steal. One of them is recognized by my computer and I was able to root it just fine, but the other isn't recognized by my computer. It doesn't even show up in device manager. I thought the usb port on the tablet may have come unsoldered, but after taking the device apart and inspecting the port nothing seems to be physically wrong with it (at least from what I can see).

I have tried several different usb cables, different computer ports, I tried flashing the stock ICS zip posted by Romman0, factory reset a few times, toggled usb debugging on and off, changing usb mode from mtp to ptp and back, I even tried to get an adb boot logcat but it just sat there waiting for device.

My question is, does this sound like a hardware fault?

Is there something else I can try to obtain root? Everything else seems to work great, but I really want to root this thing.

Any help is appreciated.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I recently purchased two used A100's for a steal. One of them is recognized by my computer and I was able to root it just fine, but the other isn't recognized by my computer. It doesn't even show up in device manager. I thought the usb port on the tablet may have come unsoldered, but after taking the device apart and inspecting the port nothing seems to be physically wrong with it (at least from what I can see).

I have tried several different usb cables, different computer ports, I tried flashing the stock ICS zip posted by Romman0, factory reset a few times, toggled usb debugging on and off, changing usb mode from mtp to ptp and back, I even tried to get an adb boot logcat but it just sat there waiting for device.

My question is, does this sound like a hardware fault?

Is there something else I can try to obtain root? Everything else seems to work great, but I really want to root this thing.

Any help is appreciated.

Its been awhile since I've seen the method used but it probably requires adb at some point so it would need a working USB connection. Aside from some sort of physical damage (pins are a good bet) there's not usually any reason it stops working, of the faults this device has the USB port isn't one.

If the process just uses adb for commands and pushing files you may be able to root it from android itself.

monkeybuttons

Feb 13, 2011
Utah
Its been awhile since I've seen the method used but it probably requires adb at some point so it would need a working USB connection. Aside from some sort of physical damage (pins are a good bet) there's not usually any reason it stops working, of the faults this device has the USB port isn't one.

If the process just uses adb for commands and pushing files you may be able to root it from android itself.

That's one of the things i am really struggling with about this. I can't see why the USB port would go bad. I am at my wits end. I can't see anything physically wrong with it. I even tried cleaning the pins with isopropyl alcohol using q-tips and a male micro-usb connector i have laying around.

How would i root from android itself? Can i run adb commands from a terminal without root access? I can't see how this would be possible.

If you can illuminate on how to root without the usb port i am all ears.

Also, thanks for the reply.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
That's one of the things i am really struggling with about this. I can't see why the USB port would go bad. I am at my wits end. I can't see anything physically wrong with it. I even tried cleaning the pins with isopropyl alcohol using q-tips and a male micro-usb connector i have laying around.

How would i root from android itself? Can i run adb commands from a terminal without root access? I can't see how this would be possible.

If you can illuminate on how to root without the usb port i am all ears.

Also, thanks for the reply.

You don't need root to use adb, some commands yes but you can do quite a bit without it, things that gain you root access. Some commands done via adb can also be done on the device itself via terminal.

That aside like I said its been awhile I'd need to look at it and see if it can be done, I wouldn't get my hopes up, though, if it hasn't been done yet there's probably a reason.