[Q] Root & Accessing System Files for M8

Search This thread

whatfalcon

Oct 2, 2010
Hey, y'all. First time poster. Fairly long-time lurker

Just got my new Verizon M8. And I applied the weaksauce root to it. Root checker tells me I have root. I don't have S-OFF yet (because it's not working, but that's besides the point for now, but that might be related? I have no idea, yo)

I'm currently just trying to rename the HTC emojis font in the system folder using the Root Browser from ROM Toolbox, however, upon booting up the Root Browser, it asks me to download some utilities. When I say yes, a progress bar shows up, and then disappears. Any attempts to Remove/rename the offending font file result in nothing happening.

Is there anyway to verify that the root that I have actually gives me su permissions for the phone? I figured being able to mess around with system files would be part of that.

Thanks.

adavit

Dec 6, 2009
Lima
I'm pretty sure writing and removing from the system requires both s-off and a kernel that has the writing capability.

whatfalcon

Oct 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure writing and removing from the system requires both s-off and a kernel that has the writing capability.

Bah. Well, my attempts at running firewater to get S-OFF get me to Bottle 2 and then it just dumps me back at my command prompt with no errors and my phone turning off.

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bah. Well, my attempts at running firewater to get S-OFF get me to Bottle 2 and then it just dumps me back at my command prompt with no errors and my phone turning off.

It'll work. Try resetting the device multiple times and re downloading the firewater file from a different browser (internet explorer has reported more success than chrome or Firefox)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

whatfalcon

Oct 2, 2010

It'll work. Try resetting the device multiple times and re downloading the firewater file from a different browser (internet explorer has reported more success than chrome or Firefox)

Right on, I'll keep trying. More of the same so far, though...

It might have something to do with the fact that the phone started updating with an OTA update when I put it down to poop after I took it out of the box

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Right on, I'll keep trying. More of the same so far, though...

It might have something to do with the fact that the phone started updating with an OTA update when I put it down to poop after I took it out of the box

It'll still work with the OTA :). Make sure adb is still getting root access. If the bottles are chugging you most likely are

whatfalcon

Oct 2, 2010
It'll still work with the OTA :). Make sure adb is still getting root access. If the bottles are chugging you most likely are

Yeah. I haven't tried factory-resetting/safe mode with the thing before trying this. Would that help? :eek:

Last edited:

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Yeah. I haven't tried factory-resetting/safe mode with the thing before trying this. Would that help? :eek:

Safe mode wouldn't. The binary needs root access and safe mode disables third party apps. Factory reset would most likely help if all else failed. There was a user in here who had two m8's, one worked right away and the second took four factory resets until it worked. Quirky, but just keep at it. It'll work eventually :good: