[GUIDE] How to root a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (SM-T217S)

Search This thread

pmacevad

Anybody get tether working on this thing?

There is a script I run on my HTC one m7 to get tethering working. I use script manager to run it as root at boot and works like a charm. I am not sure if native tethering would need to be hacked in order to get it to work. I'll see about getting a link to the original thread if interested in checking it out.

Sent from my rooted & s-off'd Sprint HTC One, powered by Android OS ?

Edit...

Here is a link to the original post I used with a link for the script I use. If you use this you use it at your own risk, but I don't think that there is any risk of damaging your device, just standard disclaimer, and make sure you do some research too on your own. Just putting the info there, your choice to use it not, like I said, may or may not work, and you may need a hacked hotspot or 3rd party tether app.

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46270235

Last edited:
Reactions: phat0074

badass93

Jul 27, 2014
Keyword: here should. I'm trying to update my tablet to 4.4.2 to but having difficulties because everyone says I should nobody is posting proof.
So you won't know until you try yourself
Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Ta-ky

Aug 4, 2014
I updated from stock rom to Kit Kat after receiving the OTA. I flashed TWRP with Odin and booted into recovery, there was no 'advanced' option to root? So I added SuperUser file to SD card and attempted to install it from there using TWRP, failed to verify signature or something. Anybody know what's wrong?

TWRP does not prompt me to root at all.

Last edited:

gaijin2008

Mar 21, 2009
I updated from stock rom to Kit Kat after receiving the OTA. I flashed TWRP with Odin and booted into recovery, there was no 'advanced' option to root? So I added SuperUser file to SD card and attempted to install it from there using TWRP, failed to verify signature or something. Anybody know what's wrong?

You should try towelroot. I did the same thing you did and installed towelroot and it worked

Waya47

Oct 19, 2014
rooting w/o computer

Is there ant way to root my tab 3 without using a computer. I just have tablets and my phone, no pc.i have tried the apps and apk from several different youtube videos and cant seem to get it to work.i have the sm-217s from sprint with kk 4.4.2.help pls

Texas501

Sep 25, 2014

You need to "Install" android-armeabi-universal-root-signed (zip file) USING TWRP. This will root your Tab.

georgiaredneck5

Oct 30, 2014
try this, little more complicated but works

To start I have rooted many phones but am stumped on this tablet. After getting it to start with holding the volume down and power key it stops on the downloading screen. Once I can get it to reboot I held the volume up and power key and got into system recovery. If I am not mistaken I can boot from here also. Right??

1. Download Samsung Klies via Samsung website on your windows based pc.
2. Connect your tablet to your pc via usb cord.
3. Run Samsung Klies first to make sure you have drivers for your device.
4. Back up all data on tablet using Samsung Klies
5. Download Kingo Root for your windows based pc.
<<<< Available @ kingoapp dot com free of charge >>>>(new user, can't post links yet)
6. Run Kingo Root with your tablet connected to your pc via usb and follow on screen instructions.
<<<< Root will come back as an unsupported device, this is ok, you have the root program on your tablet and we are not done yet >>>>
To finish ROOT on SM-T217A Tablet you have to perform the following steps:
1. Disconnect USB cable from phone.
2. Go to Menu->Settings->About Device.
3.Tap on "Builds numbers" 7 times to enable developer options.
4. Go to Menu->Settings->More->Developer options.
5. Turn on "USB Debugging" option.
6. Go to Calculator application. Enter "(+30012012732+" number, to get phone dial window.
7. Enter "*#0808#" number.
8. Select "DM+Modem+ADB".
9. Close window.
10. Go to dial window.
11. Enter "*#9090#" number.
12. Set "Diag config" to "[1]DM/DUM over HS-USB" value.
13. Restart phone.
14. Press "Read Info" in software.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<< Not super important to find this next part I found out but decided to include it anyway>>>>
Platform: Samsung Android
Selected port: COM12
Selected model: SM-T217A
Mode: Normal
Phone model: SM-T217A
Firmware compiled date: Jul 23 2013
Firmware compiled time: 07:00:00
Firmware released date: Aug 21 2013
Firmware released time: 01:47:45
Phone IMEI: 357************
SW Version: M8930B-AAAATAZM-5.0.060093
Unlocking phone...
Creating NVM backup
Reading NVM done!
ADB server killed.
Firmware compiled date: Wed Aug 21 01:10:50 KST 2013
Phone SN: R31D90EKPPA
Android version: 4.2.2 (JDQ39)
Cheking Root
Deactivating MSL...
MSL deactivate successfully
Phone will restart now. Please don't disconnect cable!
Firmware compiled date: Jul 23 2013
Firmware compiled time: 07:00:00
Firmware released date: Aug 21 2013
Firmware released time: 01:47:45
Incorrect IMEI
SW Version: M8930B-AAAATAZM-5.0.060093
Found phone on COM12
Repairing NVM for SM-T217A phone...
Phone is successfully unlocked
To finish the operation, please restart the phone via phone's menu (don't disconnect the battery!)
FINAL STEP, PLUG THE TABLET BACK INTO YOUR PC VIA USB CORD, THEN RUN THE KINGO ROOT APP ONCE MORE. ONCE THE APP CONNECTS TO YOUR DEVICE IT WILL SHOW: YOUR DEVICE ID E.G. SM-T217A, RIGHT BELOW THAT IS YOUR ROOT STATUS, IT SHOULD SHOW YES.
After yes is displayed you are free to install any root requiring program to your device such as system optimizers, oem clutter app removale tools ect.
**hint** if you are using googlee play store on your device just run a search for ROOT to dispaly rooted phone requiring apps.

imhalfdead

Nov 7, 2014
okay ive got a problem. ive got twrp on and odin worked perfectly however i dont have a boot option under the advanced tab and when i reboot i get no root option. im running 4.4.2 is that my problem??

Greaper88

Oct 28, 2014
Just thought I'd throw it out there:
I have the T210R, but this info might still be relevant seeing as it is a Tab 3:
Chainfire's SuperSU is the ONLY SuperUser thatI could make work on the tablet. I've tried several, and none of them worked. Both it AND BusyBox need to be installed from inside TWRP.

Thanks to the OP for this thread :)

I've attached the BusyBox installer and an updated version of SuperSu that I used.

Attachments

• BusyBox-v1.22.1.zip
    384.2 KB · Views: 280
  • UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.14.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 308
Last edited:

rhamskhy

Dec 9, 2014
my problem is , my i try to get into recovery option by pressing volume up, home buttom and power.
my samsung galaxy tab 3 7.0 just stock om samsung galaxy tab logo.
please help me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a couple other guides on here but they are mostly just links to videos or ad infested download links and none of them worked for me so this is how I ended up getting it to work. Everything I used is attached

For the more experienced readers it's simple, flash TWRP using Odin, boot into recovery and TWRP will prompt you to root.

For the only slightly experienced:

Boot into Download Mode (Hold Vol Down +Power to turn on the Device)
    Unzip the TWRP Recovery Image after downloading it below.
    Connect your tablet to your PC, unzip and run Odin, click the PDA button and select the TWRP md5 file you just unzipped.
    Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery)

Once in TWRP if you select the reboot option under advanced you should be prompted to root your device if it's not already rooted. If that doesn't happen for some reason you can use adb to sideload the SuperSU zip I've attached, or put it on an sd card and find the flash zip from sdcard option in TWRP to flash it.
    Excellent

Thank you very much for these directions, I have rooted before but was having trouble with this device.. Your method/files worked perfectly, as others have said previously this should be stickied! I particularly enjoyed your ingenious suggestion to hold Vol Up when pushing start in Odin :good: Just for clarification- 100% confirmed working root on T217S with 4.4.2 and NH4, I checked for OTA updates before rooting and this works flawlessly with current updates (as of 12/14/14)! After installing TWRP, I was NOT prompted to root when rebooting but ended up installing fine through TWRP, with no need to install any development kits. To help the 'slightly experienced' users you mention and get around the lack of prompt for root on reboot, I've revised your instructions a bit - feel free to include any/all with no credit necessary.. Just trying to help, and show appreciation! ;)

@mediaaccount did you get into TWRP? You probably just need to sideload SuperSU as stated by OP

Download the attached files, extract Odin and TWRP. (You should have a folder named Odin0307, a recovery.tar.md5 file, and a SuperSU-v1.93.zip file before continuing)

Connect your tablet to PC, copy SuperSU-v1.93.zip to the root directory, and disconnect tablet.

Turn tablet off, then boot into Download Mode (Hold Vol Down +Power to turn on the Device, then press Vol Up at warning screen)

Connect your tablet to PC, open Odin3 v3.07.exe, click the PDA button, and select the recovery.tar.md5 file.

Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery) After a few seconds, you will be in TWRP and you can release the Volume Up button.

*OPTIONAL* Although not necessary for root, I'd highly recommend creating a backup ASAP (BEFORE rooting)! Touch BACKUP, then swipe to backup. After backup has completed (mine took ~6 minutes total) press the back button twice to get back to TWRP main screen.

Tap INSTALL, tap SuperSU-v1.93.zip, then swipe to confirm flash.

After your device reboots, open your new SuperSU app and it will prompt you to remove KNOX, allow it to attempt (it will succeed) and restart your device.

SuperSU will push a notification that the binaries need to be updated, select normal mode (Doing through ADB is unnecessary on this device) and restart one last time.

Your tab is now fully rooted, download Root Checker Basic to verify :highfive:

I did not have enough space on SD card, so I backed up to internal and then copied it to my computer to free up the tab's space again. Thanks again Justin, much appreciated :D
    Do this method work on 4.4.2

Yes. ODIN, TWRP, SU.zip work on KK

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
    I am honestly not sure about going back, but I have had no problems. In fact, when I booted after root, something (sorry I dont remember if it was during root, or after) asked me if I wanted to disable Knox. I said yes, and smooth sailing ever since. I think it might have been the super user app itself that disabled it for me.

Just tried it and successfully rooted! I got the same message that you described about Knox. It appears when you go to update SuperSu. Thank you for the help!

For anyone else wondering about going back to stock, I found a thread to the stock firmware.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2512172
    ... and SUCCEED, but via strangeways

So, mounting frustration.

I tried instead a slightly different version of TWRP:

$ sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery/T217S.TWRP.2.7.0.0.recovery/recovery.tar.md5

This time the result is different, but still no success:

Initialising connection...
    Detecting device...
    Claiming interface...
    Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
    Claiming interface again...
    Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
    Protocol initialisation successful.

Beginning session...

Some devices may take up to 2 minutes to respond.
    Please be patient!

Session begun.

Downloading device's PIT file...
    PIT file download successful.

Uploading RECOVERY
    100%

... but it stuck at 100% and did not continue. Device also stuck.
    ^C, hard reboot of device.

Tried again to double check, same result - sticks at 100%, progress bar on device sticks at somewhere around 5%.

Aware of the possible futility, but bored, I tried first one again:

$ sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY ./T217S.TWRP2.7.0.0.flashable/recovery.img

SUCCEED.

So, apparently it has to be "knocked loose"?

Dunno. I'm in. Hope this helps someone else.