Recover / Hard Reset

Search This thread

fireTVnews.com

Jun 6, 2014
www.fireTVnews.com
I didn't mean to say you can't hose your device by changing settings with an editor, just that I don't think any of them change permissions. so using them to look but not change is pretty safe, IMO, and I'd hate to see folks discouraged from doing so.

I'm surprised that there's not a better onboard recovery on this device, or at least not one anyone's figured out how to get moving. I'dthink it'd be cheaper for Amazon if the devices had a viable recovery, or if there was a solid reset to factory which actually did a full reinstall of the OS.

Interesting about the fastboot mode - when i connect the FTV to my laptop using an A to A cable I don't get a device recognized in fastboot, but it may be down to not having a driver for it.

Are you using windows? Try installing the Kindle Fire usb drivers via the Android SDK Manager. Instructions can be found here.

Reactions: roustabout

{ParanoiA}

Apr 20, 2011
Ocean View, NJ
Someone mentioned in the ota links thread that the official ota could be side loaded. Does anyone know how to do it? I tried but couldn't get it to work

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Someone mentioned in the ota links thread that the official ota could be side loaded. Does anyone know how to do it? I tried but couldn't get it to work

I'd like to know what that person was referring to as well.

For other devices you have to be booted into recovery, and pick the sideload option before you can sent the update with adb sideload update.zip. FireTV update has no such options, and as far as I know can only installs updates from /cache/name_of_ota_update.bin, which is only writable by root, and is of no use when you can't boot the rom. Also the stock recovery doesn't seem to respond to any adb commands, either by A to A usb cable, or over IP address.

Last edited:

Shumes

Aug 22, 2014
entering Recovery Mode and Factory Reset the Amazon Fire TV

source: www . aftvnews . com /how-to-unbrick-by-entering-recovery-mode-and-factory-reset-the-amazon-fire-tv/

If you’ve managed to brick your Fire TV or for whatever reason are unable to get to the settings menu to perform a factory reset, here is how to enter recovery mode without fully booting into the Fire TV’s operating system.

To do this you will need a USB keyboard with a “Print Screen” or “SysRq” key. Mac keyboards generally do not have this key so will not work. Before you get started, plug the USB keyboard into the Fire TV and unplug the Fire TV’s power. Now plug the power in and while the Fire TV is booting, you need to press the following 3 keys simultaneously: Alt + Print Screen + i

Pressing those 3 keys sends a “kill all tasks” command to the Fire TV. If you kill all tasks during boot up enough times, the Fire TV will enter Androids default Recovery Mode. So after pressing Alt + Print Screen + i, the Fire TV will flicker and restart the boot up process. While it’s trying to boot up the second time, press Alt + Print Screen + i again. A good time to press it is as soon as you see the colorful Fire TV logo. Repeat this process several times, pressing Alt + Print Screen + i during boot, until the Fire TV displays the message “The System Update was not successful.” When you see this message, you are now in Recovery Mode. Note that depending on your TV, the colorful Fire TV logo may appear off screen, so you’ll need to guess when it appears.

Once on the “Update was not successful” screen, press the Home key on your keyboard. This should bring up a menu in the upper left corner. If a menu doesn’t appear, press Alt + Print Screen + i one more time. The screen will go black and then return to the “System Update was not successful” screen. Pressing the Home key should now definitely bring up the menu. Once you see the menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight the factory reset option and hit enter.

Reactions: stutunaru

stutunaru

Dec 19, 2008
So, the other day i have started on rooting the AFTV of a friend of mine. i rooted mine a while ago and was comfortable enough to do it for someone else.
was following the AFTVnews.com guide (very well organized site and i would say a wiki for all aftv users). the initial version on the box was 51.1.0.1. have succesfuly rooted it, installed customer recovery, busybox, bootmenu, etc, all as per the guide. have upgraded it to 51.1.4.0_514006420 updated succesfuly as well again using aftvnews.com after which have installed the busybox again. now here the strange things happen. have decided to keep upgrading it to the latest version 51.1.5.0_515030720, according to the description i could upgrade straight to this version from 51.1.4.0_514006420. followed the same upgrade procedure and after the reboot in CWM i get the Amazon Fire TV logo and doesnt do anything, left it for about 10 min - nothing. power cycled it still the coloured logo. which means somehow it got software bricked.
started to google the ways of unbrick it and followed the procedure with the USB keyboard, it worked well for me. i got in to CWM recovery and did factory reset after which reboot. no luck, still showing the coloured logo.
got back in to recovery using the same USB keyboard method and did again factory reset after which decided to install the 51.1.4.0_514006420 updated custom ROM again which was already on my sdcard.
installed successfully, rebooted and started to configure the brand new aftv box - language, network, register, etc. after all this got on home screen, system to find out that it has the stock 51.1.4.0 version (51.1.4.0_user_514006420).
tried towelroot but obviously no luck, it sais your phone is not supported. so i guess that's it, no more root for me.
where the hell i missed it? i followed every step carefully.
and why in the first place after upgrade from 51.1.4.0_514006420 to 51.1.5.0_515030720 i got bricked?
please tell me there's still a hope to root it.

TROJAN4EVR

Jan 11, 2015

Sorry,...after you performed the reset,...OTA updates via PM disable had to be performed again,...from aftvnews:
"3.) Once rooted, follow my guide to block updates on the Fire TV. This is different from the first step which blocks updates via your router. Note that you will need to re-block updates if you ever factory reset your Fire TV.":(

and why in the first place after upgrade from 51.1.4.0_514006420 to 51.1.5.0_515030720 i got bricked?
most likely your update file was corrupted ...read this for future reference(remove all spaces and cut and paste into browser as I don't have link posting privileges yet):
www .aftvnews. com/how-to-unbrick-and-prevent-bricking-an-amazon-fire-tv/

Last edited:
Reactions: stutunaru

djswap

May 1, 2015
stuck on Amazon logo

End Result. If you brick you box Amazon has no troubleshooting steps outside of rebooting the box. Once you get past that step and your still having an issue Amazon will issue you a replacement FireTV.

You will need to call Amazon as the Live chat is useless: 866-216-1072 Press 0 and ask to be transferred to the Fire TV department.

Do you recall which sqlite editor app you used that caused the problem?

Where can I download this update. My Fire TV gen1 is stuck on amazon logo and need to revive it using the USB (update.zip) method. Can someone help with the download link to the file? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you recall which sqlite editor app you used that caused the problem?

I have reviewed the logs of what I did, and it was my fault:
    1. I used a non-root SQLite editor, which means I had to give -rw-rw-rw- access to the database folder and content, which I did.
    2. With the SQLite editor, all I did was to explore the database structure.
    3. Once done, I restored the original permissions, fist -rw------- (chmod 660) on the database folder and database file itself.
    4. Finally I restored read-only -r-------- (chmod 600) to the extra files (settings-*), and that was my mistake: I did not notice my chmod line had 2 entries, with the first one being the database folder (wrong) :(

If only I would have root write access to the file system with adb, I could easily fix it, with a simple chmod 660 on the database folder.

In hindsight, I was very careless to do that directly on the FireTV; I should have taken a copy of settings.db, and explore it on the PC.
    I didn't mean to say you can't hose your device by changing settings with an editor, just that I don't think any of them change permissions. so using them to look but not change is pretty safe, IMO, and I'd hate to see folks discouraged from doing so.

I'm surprised that there's not a better onboard recovery on this device, or at least not one anyone's figured out how to get moving. I'dthink it'd be cheaper for Amazon if the devices had a viable recovery, or if there was a solid reset to factory which actually did a full reinstall of the OS.

Interesting about the fastboot mode - when i connect the FTV to my laptop using an A to A cable I don't get a device recognized in fastboot, but it may be down to not having a driver for it.

Are you using windows? Try installing the Kindle Fire usb drivers via the Android SDK Manager. Instructions can be found here.
    entering Recovery Mode and Factory Reset the Amazon Fire TV

source: www . aftvnews . com /how-to-unbrick-by-entering-recovery-mode-and-factory-reset-the-amazon-fire-tv/

If you’ve managed to brick your Fire TV or for whatever reason are unable to get to the settings menu to perform a factory reset, here is how to enter recovery mode without fully booting into the Fire TV’s operating system.

To do this you will need a USB keyboard with a “Print Screen” or “SysRq” key. Mac keyboards generally do not have this key so will not work. Before you get started, plug the USB keyboard into the Fire TV and unplug the Fire TV’s power. Now plug the power in and while the Fire TV is booting, you need to press the following 3 keys simultaneously: Alt + Print Screen + i

Pressing those 3 keys sends a “kill all tasks” command to the Fire TV. If you kill all tasks during boot up enough times, the Fire TV will enter Androids default Recovery Mode. So after pressing Alt + Print Screen + i, the Fire TV will flicker and restart the boot up process. While it’s trying to boot up the second time, press Alt + Print Screen + i again. A good time to press it is as soon as you see the colorful Fire TV logo. Repeat this process several times, pressing Alt + Print Screen + i during boot, until the Fire TV displays the message “The System Update was not successful.” When you see this message, you are now in Recovery Mode. Note that depending on your TV, the colorful Fire TV logo may appear off screen, so you’ll need to guess when it appears.

Once on the “Update was not successful” screen, press the Home key on your keyboard. This should bring up a menu in the upper left corner. If a menu doesn’t appear, press Alt + Print Screen + i one more time. The screen will go black and then return to the “System Update was not successful” screen. Pressing the Home key should now definitely bring up the menu. Once you see the menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight the factory reset option and hit enter.

Sorry,...after you performed the reset,...OTA updates via PM disable had to be performed again,...from aftvnews:
    "3.) Once rooted, follow my guide to block updates on the Fire TV. This is different from the first step which blocks updates via your router. Note that you will need to re-block updates if you ever factory reset your Fire TV.":(

most likely your update file was corrupted ...read this for future reference(remove all spaces and cut and paste into browser as I don't have link posting privileges yet):
    www .aftvnews. com/how-to-unbrick-and-prevent-bricking-an-amazon-fire-tv/