[Q] question about wireless chargers

Search This thread

macmovr

I am purchasing a Galaxy S5 next week and I am looking at the wireless chargers as that is the main reason I am upgrading my S3 in the first place. I have read that once placed on the charger the screen will read "wireless Charging" What I am wanting to know is if the phone is still on and if my wireless hotspot will continue to work in wireless charge mode?

Safe0716

Aug 3, 2011
Neuchâtel
I am purchasing a Galaxy S5 next week and I am looking at the wireless chargers as that is the main reason I am upgrading my S3 in the first place. I have read that once placed on the charger the screen will read "wireless Charging" What I am wanting to know is if the phone is still on and if my wireless hotspot will continue to work in wireless charge mode?

Hi ! Your S3 can already have wireless charging if u didn't know ^^
Your phone will still be on(screen off ofc), and for hotspot, I'm 99.9% sure it works while charging

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

macmovr

Your phone will still be on(screen off ofc), and for hotspot, I'm 99.9% sure it works while charging

I kind of thought the hotspot would still be active, on the other note I had no idea the s3 was wireless charging. does that mean all it needs is a pad to lie it on? Not sure if I understand?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
What I am wanting to know is if the phone is still on and if my wireless hotspot will continue to work in wireless charge mode?

Yes it will. Or at least it does for me, so I don't see any reason it wouldn't for you as well. Your hotspot range may be reduced during wireless charging due to the RF interference, but if you had a strong signal before hand then you should be fine..

Michael_P

Jun 3, 2012
I've noticed no loss in wifi, hotspot or 3g performance while wireless charging, and the S3 and S5 can both use the same charging pad because they both QI compatible.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
~7 dB effective attenuation when wirelessly charging my S5

Inferred from the increased 802.11N PER in an adjacent Asus RT-N66U router.
And consistent with decreased data throughput.

PER calculated from Ethereal capture.
Sample size = 5 x 10^3 packets
PER (packet error rate) is 1-(0.999^N), where N is the number of bits in the data packet
N = 32
NF transmit output = +17 dBm

Last edited:

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
I had no idea the s3 was wireless charging. does that mean all it needs is a pad to lie it on? Not sure if I understand?

None of the S5 variants that I have seen will wirelessly charge by simply placing them on a charger. You need to add two things - the charger and a coil. The coil is the part that is inside the phone, a sort of receiver. The coil looks like a thick sticker and you can either buy an optional battery cover from Samsung that has a coil in it.. or add a third party coil to the inside of your existing battery cover. This is in contrast to say a Nexus phone where the coil is not optional - it is already built into all of the Nexus phones.

So it's odd to say that you are upgrading from a S3 to a S5 because of wireless charging.. when both the S3 and S5 need to have the same components added to add wireless charging. You seem to think that the coil is standard on S5's and it isn't.

Note that the optional Samsung wireless battery cover is thicker than the standard battery cover, which means that some cases will no longer fit your phone. And if you add a coil to the inside of the standard S5 battery cover, you need to choose a coil that is thin or you may displace the battery cover and lose the watertight seal.

Last edited:

macmovr

None of the S5 variants that I have seen will wirelessly charge by simply placing them on a charger. You need to add two things - the charger and a coil. The coil is the part that is inside the phone, a sort of receiver. The coil looks like a thick sticker and you can either buy an optional battery cover from Samsung that has a coil in it.. or add a third party coil to the inside of your existing battery cover. This is in contrast to say a Nexus phone where the coil is not optional - it is already built into all of the Nexus phones.

So it's odd to say that you are upgrading from a S3 to a S5 because of wireless charging.. when both the S3 and S5 need to have the same components added to add wireless charging. You seem to think that the coil is standard on S5's and it isn't.

Note that the optional Samsung wireless battery cover is thicker than the standard battery cover, which means that some cases will no longer fit your phone. And if you add a coil to the inside of the standard S5 battery cover, you need to choose a coil that is thin or you may displace the battery cover and lose the watertight seal.

Thanks for straightening that out for me. Now I understand. Yes I am upgrading from a s3. I knew nothing about wireless charging until recently. Guess I need to get my nose into these boards more often. I am a road warrior and ran into usb port issues on my s3 in Denver a few months ago. I panic because I couldn't charge my phone, so I went to the closest 3rd party phone repair store and they sold me an extra battery and a external charger. That worked great but the fact that I had to swap batteries 2-3 times a day, left my phone without a case, and you know what happened next. So since my upgrade is tomorrow, it's time for a new phone and I am excited for the s5 anyway. Thanks again for the help,:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.