Send files over bluetooth!!!

Search This thread

lambrospower

Jul 5, 2009
Nicosia
www.mastergenius.net
Hey guys i want a program that can send ANY file on my DESIRE. i know that we can send music images and video but let's say i have an .apk on my sdcard i cannot send it using neither astro nor estrongs file managers and i couldn't find a way. is there any file manager that can send any file over bluetooth?????

isaw

Nov 13, 2009
I've had problems with this as well.

I've tried it without any extra app, just the btooth on the phone and it won't work. I have the FTP Server checked to be on and after I've paired with a mate's phone, I try to send a file and it complains that the OBS protocol or whatever is not enabled on the receiver's phone.

I have had luck using the app from the market, "Bluetooth File Transfer" (green/orange icon) but again, I often get the same OBS or OBT protocol error.

very annoying - I just want to grab a file and btooth it to a friend's phone. It really shouldn't be so difficult.

ZaPP187

Apr 2, 2008
I try to send a file and it complains that the OBS protocol or whatever is not enabled on the receiver's phone.

I have had luck using the app from the market, "Bluetooth File Transfer" (green/orange icon) but again, I often get the same OBS or OBT protocol error

I do have EXACTLY the same problem! I tried it today with 4 different phones (motorola, 2 siemens and nokia)! If someone wants to send me a file via bluetooth it works like a charm but when i tried to send something to another phone it doesn't work.

Is this some kind of a software bug in Desire's ROM or what the hell is going on here?

Beside of this the phone is freakin fast compared to my old Polaris ;)

J

JaykaySLO

i dont know what you guys are doing but the bluetooth works fine. just sent a photo from desire to my girlfriend`s old samsung. works like a treat. just have ftp enabled in the advanced settings
OBS protocol or whatever is not enabled on the receiver's phone.
keyword: receiver`s.

kepz

Aug 22, 2008
Sydney
Explorer by Speedy Software

Hi,

I've just tried it with 'Explorer app' by Speedy Software which is in app market. It works flawlessly. Sent a 'apk' app to my Nokia E71 just to test and it works.

andycted

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 20, 2009
Same here, when I try to send a file via bluetooth it just fails...

ZaPP187

Apr 2, 2008
i dont know what you guys are doing but the bluetooth works fine. just sent a photo from desire to my girlfriend`s old samsung. works like a treat. just have ftp enabled in the advanced settings

keyword: receiver`s.

This is exactly the point, the OBS protocoll IS ENABLED on every phone i tried with!

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that Bluetooth file transfer was not possible in non-rooted phones... isn't that so?

J

JaykaySLO

No, why would it only be possible on rooted phones. BT file transfer is a feature that most dumbphones have (recent anyway).

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
I've seen mentioned somewhere else in a long discussion that obex file transfer wasn't supported on current android versions but could be implemented in the future... coming from WinMo I was a bit surprised at this but I suppose it isn't so then...
still, I haven't been able to send files over Bluetooth, but I have indeed managed to receive them

J

JaykaySLO

don`t know, but i can send to and receive from other phones any my notebook without any special apps and complications. i can even play audio though bt to the laptop without any stuttering.

ZaPP187

Apr 2, 2008
I just made some different tests with my desire and found a solution (at least for sending photos and videos)

After a clean Boot and the first time to use Bluetooth open HTC photo viewer. While flipping through the pictures you have at the bottom some buttons, one is for sending data via bluetooth. With THIS button i can send photos or videos to other phones.
But when i start for example Astro manager and want to send data with this program it just cracks up and nothing will be send! After this has happened the whole "bluetooth thing" on the Desire does not react anymore :(

If you want to turn bluetooth off the only solution is to restart the phone and turn off bluetooth afterwards!

To avoid this fault you should not try to send data through other programs except the HTC photo viewer!

Receiving data is never a problem!

Hopefully there will be a patch or so in the near future because this is totally ****! I do not want to only have the possibility to send photos and video :(

Last edited:

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
I just made some different tests with my desire and found a solution (at least for sending photos and videos)

After a clean Boot and the first time to use Bluetooth open HTC photo viewer. While flipping through the pictures you have at the bottom some buttons, one is for sending data via bluetooth. With THIS button i can send photos or videos to other phones.
But when i start for example Astro manager and want to send data with this program it just cracks up and nothing will be send! After this has happened the whole "bluetooth thing" on the Desire does not react anymore :(

If you want to turn bluetooth off the only solution is to restart the phone and turn off bluetooth afterwards!

To avoid this fault you should not try to send data through other programs except the HTC photo viewer!

Receiving data is never a problem!

Hopefully there will be a patch or so in the near future because this is totally ****! I do not want to only have the possibility to send photos and video :(

That is exactly what just happened on my phone too. I can also add that sometimes sending files from the gallery right after boot doesn't work with one of my computers however this kind of behaviour is common to other devices too...

[EDIT] I've also tried with the application bluetooth file transfer without success

Last edited:

lambrospower

Jul 5, 2009
Nicosia
www.mastergenius.net
guys you lost me on this one....i don't have problem sending the default items: movies videos images music........i have problems when i send ALL the other file types....apk, html for example and any file except media ones!!!

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
I've a problem sending any file type including images from anywhere but the gallery. so you can send images from astro or other file managers ?

[Edit ] you know what? I've tried that again and I actually can send 'normal' files from anywhere... trying to send any other file type doesn't show the option and trying to use bt file transfer resets the phone !
so I'm back at your issue

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Quick update:
-Installed 'Explorer' from the Market and now I can send any file type. Thanks kepz
-Obex file transfer actually works ok now, I can browse the sdcard from my computer
-after installing "Bluetooth file transfer" and playing with stuff (BT Remote control apps as well) sometimes when trying some BT services the phone reboots. If I stay clean of those services no problems
-I still can't use the phone as a remote control for the desktop

watercool

Apr 18, 2010
Same here with BT File Transfer App.

I have 2 Desires, very very often (nearly every time) the phone reboots when trying to send or receive a file. It worked once, but never again, after the 6th reboot in a row i unistalled the app.

The integrated BT thing in ESExplorer works sometimes (not very often)

edit: i have absolutely no problem with sending files from my computer to desire, this works 99,9%! only phone to phone = insta reboot