I'm sad that I can't truly multitask on my infinity

Search This thread

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
look into the asus transformer TF810C. It's an infinity with Windows 8, same battery life but with the new atom processor. Should be as powerful as the infinity and runs full fledged windows with proper multitasking.

I've already shelled out the omney to get this infinity. Why do I have to shell out twice as much to get another tablet?

Android prides itself on flexibility and functionality. And yet here we are google only wants android to be nothing more than a toy.

I'm serious. It's been more than a year since I touched my laptop at all. I have zero game installed on my infinity. It is used purely for work and communication. Why can't google gets it through their thick skull that some of us actually want to be productive with our tablets rather than just using it as a gaming platform?

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I've already shelled out the omney to get this infinity. Why do I have to shell out twice as much to get another tablet?

Android prides itself on flexibility and functionality. And yet here we are google only wants android to be nothing more than a toy.

I'm serious. It's been more than a year since I touched my laptop at all. I have zero game installed on my infinity. It is used purely for work and communication. Why can't google gets it through their thick skull that some of us actually want to be productive with our tablets rather than just using it as a gaming platform?

You say that Google only wants android to be nothing more than a toy, but then go on to say how your *Android* device has completely replaced your laptop (for more than a year now)?? Sounds like it's actually quite a productive tool for you, especially since you don't have a single game loaded!

Maybe you should get an iPad since that is your answer every time someone else complains about something (sorry, had to throw that in there)!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
You say that Google only wants android to be nothing more than a toy, but then go on to say how your *Android* device has completely replaced your laptop (for more than a year now)?? Sounds like it's actually quite a productive tool for you, especially since you don't have a single game loaded!

Maybe you should get an iPad since that is your answer every time someone else complains about something (sorry, had to throw that in there)!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

What's with the strawman? Yes, it's productive for me right now, but it could be much much much more productive with split screeen functionality.

Trust me, I've tried to make it work with the ipad. Aside from quasars, nothing else on the ipad can help me.

And don't even try to deny it. Google just wants android to be a gaming platform, because that's where the money is. What I'm complaining about is they go as far as threatening developers keep android from being productive.

hajalie24

Apr 9, 2011
Why don't you just install ubuntu on your tablet? It works well and you'll have the laptop you've wanted.

Cheapxj

Mar 31, 2008
Have any of you actually tried native ubuntu on this thing? if I didn't also use this thing as an in-dash media player/navigation device, I wouldn't even waste the space that android takes up anymore. there are touch friendly window managers coming down the pipeline, but personally i like Unity3D. it works very well for me

the only issue Ive had is getting the touchscreen to track properly in portrait mode. everything else seems to work surprisingly well, especially considering how terrible the stock user experience is on this particular tablet. (let's be real, the internal flash is garbage, my TI82 probably had faster memory than this damn thing has)

you want desktop class computing in this package, install native linux, not that loop-device powered VNC connected garbage. screw that noise!

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Why don't you just install ubuntu on your tablet? It works well and you'll have the laptop you've wanted.

Because I don't want an ubuntu laptop. Android works fine for me. The split screen functionality would make it even better. Having split screen like something like cornerstone is simple enough to work with.

I don't understand this attitude that people have. Didn't android people pride ourselves with choice? Why the either a laptop or a one screen all the time attitude?

fsured

Jul 25, 2011
Could google be working on a multi window type of functionality as a big update to the OS? I don't know what they released as reasoning for the cornerstone issue but I can see why they would prevent it's release if their in-house team is working on it. Sort of like JB having project Butter to make things smoother as a big "ooo aaaahhhh". I just want to see it come before Apple releases it on their devices as a native feature in the OS.

------------

As to the discussion on gaming with Android, this is all my opinion, this was an area the os took a big hit from IOS in. Say what you will about Apple but they designed their os to work marvels with the hardware. The os looked smooth and had gaming in mind when developed. With the top notch hardware and the matching os, games flourished on the device and made a hefty amount of money. Android had more business functionality in beginning and just needed the time for updates, new feature implementation, bug fixes, and better delivery of those products.

The graphical and gaming aspect of the earlier devices was just flat out lacking and even now IOS is the standard to beat. Games are still released on that platform first with the "Android version to follow" comment. With more consumers buying Android devices there is a huge potential for revenue in gaming. The business and productivity functionality is developed but now consumers want better multimedia abilities and the OEM's are delivering. Google needs to push the graphical and gaming ability of the OS so developers and consumers know what can be done on their platform.

jordanmw

Dec 27, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
The kick here is that we would all be able to use cornerstone if google had not bullied CM out of supporting it. Really wish they would have stayed the course with their support. Google then allows samsung and lg to to almost exactly what cornerstone did with several of their apps. Eventually sammy and lg will have even more multi-window support built in and we will still be out in the cold unless someone picks up the old cornerstone project and makes updates to get it working with JB 4.2.2.

If I only had the time..... anyone hear any plans to pick it back up?

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
The kick here is that we would all be able to use cornerstone if google had not bullied CM out of supporting it. Really wish they would have stayed the course with their support. Google then allows samsung and lg to to almost exactly what cornerstone did with several of their apps. Eventually sammy and lg will have even more multi-window support built in and we will still be out in the cold unless someone picks up the old cornerstone project and makes updates to get it working with JB 4.2.2.

If I only had the time..... anyone hear any plans to pick it back up?

With google's adamant objection to the split screen functionality of cornerstone, I am convinced that they did something in their jellybean upgrade to make cornerstone impossible. This is why the onskreen people have given up development of this project.

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
With google's adamant objection to the split screen functionality of cornerstone, I am convinced that they did something in their jellybean upgrade to make cornerstone impossible. This is why the onskreen people have given up development of this project.

But Samsung somehow did implement their splitscreen functionality on top of Jellybean. So it is definitely possible, with perhaps major modifications to the framework.

hajalie24

Apr 9, 2011
Because I don't want an ubuntu laptop. Android works fine for me. The split screen functionality would make it even better. Having split screen like something like cornerstone is simple enough to work with.

I don't understand this attitude that people have. Didn't android people pride ourselves with choice? Why the either a laptop or a one screen all the time attitude?

You say android is fine for you yet you've been complaining for this whole thread about it. You have the option to install ubuntu side by side, yet refuse to do so. We all know android isn't the best option, even with cornerstone. Ubuntu takes 10 minutes to install but you'd rather complain about android. It makes no sense, but if you'd rather suffer through your work then to try to teach some sort of lesson to google, go ahead. Meanwhile whenever I need to do some work I just have to restart my tablet and I have a full desktop with multiple windows waiting for me.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
You say android is fine for you yet you've been complaining for this whole thread about it.
Again, what's with the strawman? At no point have I complained about android. What I've complained about is google's hindering of efforts to make android more productive than what it is now.

You have the option to install ubuntu side by side, yet refuse to do so. We all know android isn't the best option, even with cornerstone. Ubuntu takes 10 minutes to install but you'd rather complain about android. It makes no sense, but if you'd rather suffer through your work then to try to teach some sort of lesson to google, go ahead. Meanwhile whenever I need to do some work I just have to restart my tablet and I have a full desktop with multiple windows waiting for me.

Don't you think I've already tried ubuntu? The lag is kinda unbearable. And I don't want to have to boot back and forth.

There are aspects of android I love. But it sure as hell would make the experience for some of us light years better if we have split screen functionality.

Last edited:

Cheapxj

Mar 31, 2008
Don't you think I've already tried ubuntu? The lag is kinda unbearable. And I don't want to have to boot back and forth.

You gotta run ubuntu native. if it's lagging you must be VNC'd into a nested loopback device running on top of android.

seriously you NEED to TRY native ubuntu. I only went native yesterday (I ran it on top of android before this) with the latest available version and there's not much that my x86 laptop can do that this thing can't now.

um I don't know what exactly you were trying to do on it, but I have it running off the internal eMMC on my TF700 and it runs applications like LibreOffice Calc, & Write, my terminal server, VPN and VNC better than my atom powered netbook running ubuntu 11.10 on a 1024x600 screen.

The only thing I "need" android on there for right now is navigation and spotify when I'm docked in the Dashboard of my Jeep.

It only takes me 113 seconds to switch either way, and I don't care who you are, if you don't have 110 seconds to switch OSes, you need to re-evaluate your ENTIRE life because you are doing something wrong and you will drive yourself into an early grave!

Seriously, I think more than one person has asked this question, but I'll ask it again.

What exactly are you trying to do with it? specific applications, documents or other file types that you're working with? Be a little more freakin specific and MAYBE you might learn something new.

Considering you can build stuff into your vehicle and connect to it, you don't need to be THAT portable. I need to be able to run my business out of a carry-on bag. I threw away the portable printer in lieu of just making FedEx Kinkos my *****.

I still for the most part use mine as a VNC/RDP terminal. It works great that way on the linux or android side, it's basically begging the question do I want a desktop interface with desktop applications or do I want a mobile interface with mobile applications.

lucius.zen

Sep 16, 2012
Halifax
Access everything with 1 gesture

If you want workflow to be comparable, in many cases better, than a traditional windowed OS then get GMD Gesture Control. Alghough you cant see two things at once, you can set up gstures to make multitasking easier. I was envious of win8 bezel swipe gestures, now i laugh at w8.

At this point i can two finger swipe from various positions on the bezel to....
- Go fwd/back within an app
- Move fwd/back between open apps
- toggle various settings such as autorotate, wifi, power menu, mute, etc.
- Get a launchpad to slide out from the edge of the screen like a dock so i can access any app from anywhere i want
- kill the app im in
- hide the bottom bar to increase screen real estate (great for video/pdfs/creating docs/browsing)
- bc i like the bottom bar minimized i have gestures for home button and recent apps dialogue and all the settings i need from status bar

With all of these gestures i can do things faster on my tf700 than my laptop, it massively improves workflow and reduces the number of gestures/actions i need to initiate to do stuff. I can now do everything in 1 simple gesture, which is faster than mouse clicks and windowed OSes.

Id also like to mention i have no affiliation whatsoever to the dev of GMD Gesture Control

Best of luck,

Lucius

Last edited:

jordanmw

Dec 27, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
It's funny, there are people who want this same functionality on their nexus 7, seems insane to me, with no dock and limited screen real estate. Makes me laugh to think of the responses they would get in this forum for the same request.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36839680#post36839680

Anyways, I hate all the responses like "go buy XXX if you want YYY" or "you keep saying how android sucks so bad for XXX but you are not using it with the right YYY"

These are all just reasons to bicker, OP has a valid point on much of what he says. I wish people would stop bickering and offer some useful responses.

Here is something that you may not know....In feb of 2012 CM still had interest in getting Cornerstone running on CM9:

https://plus.google.com/100275307499530023476/posts/ViCME1bb8F6

And here is the only evidence that I can find to indicate that ANYONE is still working on it this Feb.:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37955761#post37955761

Last edited:

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
It's funny, there are people who want this same functionality on their nexus 7, seems insane to me, with no dock and limited screen real estate. Makes me laugh to think of the responses they would get in this forum for the same request.

Anyways, I hate all the responses like "go buy XXX if you want YYY" or "you keep saying how android sucks so bad for XXX but you are not using it with the right YYY"

These are all just reasons to bicker, OP has a valid point on much of what he says. I wish people would stop bickering and offer some useful responses.

Here is something that you may not know....In feb of 2012 CM still had interest in getting Cornerstone running on CM9:

And here is the only evidence that I can find to indicate that ANYONE is still working on it this Feb.:

I'm switching to the vivotab rt. Will sell my infinity soon.

Reactions: BossMafia2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The other day, I was typing out a report as I was watching tv with my b/f, I began to switch back and forth between this pdf file and my report to reference. Then it occurred to me. I used to be able to do this with the original tf101 and cornerstone imlemented rom at the time. It was great.

The fact of the matter is I still use my tf infinity as my daily driver. I use it for everything. My laptop has been sitting there untouched for more than a year now. And I see no reason to ever touch it again.

I don't understand why the android community and google are so reluctant to explore the multiple windows option of android? And please notice the word option. If you hate multiple windows, then god bless you and just use the regular android.

Back with the tf101 and a cornerstone rom, yes it was unstable but it was totally worth it. All I had to do was regularly reboot the device and it was completely usable. I'm not one of those apple user wannabes who would cry bloody murder if anything at all out of the ordinary shows up.

To me, the option to have something like cornerstone is totally worth the occasional instabilities.
    It would be great if someone somewhere could develop cornerstone-like split screen ability for my infinity.

Yes, I'd also like to see that. At least something like Windows 8 has.

I'm kinda sad that it seems like no one has picked up cornerstone and tried to make it better. Lots of roms in development, and they kinda all look the same. I'm sorry if I have offended you, but that's what it looks like to me.

I know that the devs are using their own time to do what they love. And I thank them for it. What about google? How come they haven't picked up cornerstone or something like it so that their OS could be even more productive?

CyanogenMod once planned to integrate Cornerstone, but Google threatened them to lock them out of the app store, because apparently they had concerns about app incompatibilities.

I'm switching to the vivotab rt. Will sell my infinity soon.

There's another multiwindow game in town called omnirom. The tf300 is being worked on and expected to be supported. Personally, I'd love to just see the multiwindow feature migrate to any tf700 rom.

It actually already is. My pa test build is using their multi window implementation

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk