Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
PAID - $10 - rayandreas
PAID - $50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
PAID - $29 - btpd21
PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
PAID - $5 - muqali
PAID - $10 - rlee008
$5 - kingP1n
$5 - deviusdragger
$5 - lovekeiiy
PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
PAID - $5 ristiisa
PAID - $10 Grant Barker
** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p

Last edited:

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
This is great! Booting aokp and tw rom. Win win!

I want to stress that is a possibility (although probable I believe). DerTeufel1980 has already said that certainly you could boot 2 TW or 2 AOSP ROMs. That would be using the same kernel. He would have to swap kernels during the dual-boot process to switch between ROM types I believe but that probably could be done. If anyone is willing to donate to get him a device to work on, please just post here and I will update the OP.

Reactions: pcorlatan

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

??? Are you asking if we are ready to accept donations to buy a device yet? The answer to that is not yet. DerTeufel1980 can't afford to spend the additional several hundred dollars needed to buy a Note 2. If I can't gather enough donation promises then it will be pointless to ask anyone to donate yet. If you are willing to donate, just reply and I will add your name to the list. I'll even bump my promise to $75.00 if this thread will generate some more donations.

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
I buy apps all the time. But not before they are developed. Seen too many projects dropped right after I pay.

Sent By An Idiot With A Phablet!

Thanks, but don't you think there is a difference in this case? Anyone can develop and app without the specific device. Nobody could successfully develop a dual-boot capability for a device they don't have to test with. People don't want to donate until after he completes the work. That will not happen if he can't get the device to start the work...
I'm really surprised people aren't willing to "risk" even $5.00 for someone who has already proven he could create a dual-boot kernel.

RonnieRuff

May 22, 2010
Austin
Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?

Thanks, but don't you think there is a difference in this case? Anyone can develop and app without the specific device. Nobody could successfully develop a dual-boot capability for a device they don't have to test with. People don't want to donate until after he completes the work. That will not happen if he can't get the device to start the work...
I'm really surprised people aren't willing to "risk" even $5.00 for someone who has already proven he could create a dual-boot kernel.

Sorry... Seen to many people walk away after I donated.

Sent By An Idiot With A Phablet!

Reactions: fix-this!

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix

I've created donation threads to try to gather enough funds to get a Galaxy Note II for DerTeufel1980 who has successfully created a dual-boot for the SamSung Captivate (part of the Galaxy S line). After some interest from the AT&T community, it seems to have stalled. I didn't realize how opposed some people are to donation threads but I would ask the following:
If dual-boot is a capability that you would like to have, do a little research to make sure you feel that DerTeufel can be trusted and then consider donating to bring this capability to our device. If he can quickly/easily swap kernels then AOSP and TW ROMs, you could try both without the significant hassle of creating a nandroid backup and restoring every time you want to swap ROMs. I've copied the OP from one of the other threads below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Captivate. He has promised to create one for the Note II if we can get him a device to work on. I am updating this thread with donation promises. Once we gather enough for him to purchase a device, I will send PMs to everyone on the list requesting they use his "Donate to me" button. Who's willing to donate?
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II would be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. I will now add a thread in the Verizon community since that audience would also benefit from this new capability.
http://xdaforums.com/show...2&postcount=28
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2154151 - International forum which would be the base for many custom US carrier ROMs

$136 - DerTeufel1980 will chip in 100 euros (roughly $136 currently)

AT&T Community
$50 - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
$10 - rayandreas
$50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
$29 - btpd21

N7105 Community

Verizon Community

When the time is right I'm good for a hunnit, let me know, and to be honest this dude needs to buy the device and then worry about return on investment, in the end isn't any other way against the rules

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
When the time is right I'm good for a hunnit, let me know

Wow, $100.00 would be a great donation. I have been trying very hard to get this to work but it seems to be stalled. I just sent a PM to DerTeufel1980 to see what is the minimum he would need to purchase a device. I am considering taking "all the risk" for the gap between what people donate before the fact and what he needs. I would update the OP for each community to see how much people would donate AFTER it is working and ask him to send a certain agreed-upon amount back to me after he receives the funds. Yes, some would call me foolish but I really want the capability for a few reasons (work related, etc) and I am willing to risk trusting him.

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009

I can spare 10 bucks for the cause.

Would love to have a dual-boot Paranoid Android/Jedi Master setup!

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Thanks all. I was hoping we could get a bunch of $5 or $10 donations since they can add up fast. Updated totals in the OP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    OP Updated

He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :D
    just made my donation

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 8L54704784902660H) $10 USD

thanks,
    rlee
    small update:

- updated kernel to linux 3.0.72
    - fixed backlight timeout settings on samsung roms
    - hopefully fixed cam fc for some users on samsung roms

http://www.mediafire.com/?46af4ac16qa6mv4