Unlocking Sprint G Flex to Cricket/AIO/ATT Wireless

Search This thread

Powers16

Dec 13, 2007
Gallatin
This tutorial is my method for successfully unlocking the G flex to Cricket/AIO/ATT wireless with data/MMS, No battery drain, no Wifi calling drain.

1. Pros. Use Cricket/AIO/ATT sim.
2. Cons. Must dial International code +1 ( or whatever country code you're in) before every 10 digit number.

********Before we start you need to be on stock 4.4.2 sprint rom with Network Mode LTE/CDMA enabled************
(The roaming option does not appear when on GSM)
Next, change theme from "FLEX" to "LG". For some reason FLEX bugs out after the phone unlocks and causes crashes. (May be an isolated incident)

*Now we need to add the APN from AIO wireless into the Apn list by going into settings>roaming>Access point names

*The APN list will be blank and state "NO APNS" this is normal. Hit the menu button and add the AIO wireless APN settings from
http://buzzmobile.us/aio-wireless-apn-settings-internet-mms/
When completed you will need to press the back button and once again you will be greeted with a blank APN screen. Don't worry it's there.

Follow the instructions for root + unlocking the phone here. Total commander doesn't work on 4.4.2, don't use it, do it all with Root Browser (Get from Play Store).
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50477852

After you are finished you should be rooted, successfully finished removing bloatware and left with a half unlocked phone.
Now navigate to settings/tethering and networks/mobile networks/Network Mode and change to GSM/WCDMA

**********************You are finished with this portion of the Tutorial***********************

*Fun Part*
1. Download Rom toolbox on your phone, the free/lite version is fine.
2. Navigate to build.prop editor
3. Find and change the settings listed..

ro.carrier=spr (spr to lowercase)

ro.build.target_operator=spr (spr to lowercase)

persist.service.crash.enable=1

Lets keep something in mind here... Once you change these settings you will need to restart your phone and you will be unlocked for Cricket/AIO/ATT networks, however, at this time you should know that if you venture back into network mode and happen to change your settings back to LTE/CDMA, you will lose the ability to change your network mode back to GSM UNLESS you revert the build.prop changes listed above. You can actively switch from LTE/CDMA and GSM by this method although I don't see why anyone would..

At this point you should have Talk/Text/Data/MMS...If not, you may have done something wrong.

**More funner part***

At this point in the tutorial your phone is doing two things.

1. It lies when it says its only on GSM/WCDMA
2. Rapidly draining the S#$% out of your battery.

We need the MSL Code so we may dial ##DATA# in your phone and access LTE settings.

Follow this Tutorial for retrieving your MSL code.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47324060

After you obtain the MSL pull up the phone application and dial ##DATA#(3282) Navigate into LTE and disable LTE/Band 26/Band 41
When you back out of the menu your phone will restart and stop continuously looking for LTE Radio.

**Final touches**

Remove all and I mean ALL sprint and preloaded wifi calling applications if you experience wifi calling battery draining. For some reason wifi calling spazzes out.

I'm not going to list the apk's because it may be an isolated incident and if you find out wifi calling is draining your battery just long press it in battery stats and go to "APP INFO" and find out what it is named and remove it with root browser...

I have been on Cricket/AIO wireless for two weeks now with HSPA+ and enjoying it.

This method may work with other carriers who knows.

**Food for thought**

1. When I change the ro.carrier settings from lowercase spr to ndo like in the APN i got a cool h+ instead of GSM.
2. I have not been able to wifi tether yet with cricket and I'm actively looking for a way now..
3. Think anyone else has issues with the FLEX theme crashing?

sweets55

May 25, 2009
If you don't mind how much do you pay? Will this work with a T-Mobile Flex? I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile since I got my discount back. I have 4 lines so it's around 25 bucks in savings a month.

Powers16

Dec 13, 2007
Gallatin
If you don't mind how much do you pay? Will this work with a T-Mobile Flex? I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile since I got my discount back. I have 4 lines so it's around 25 bucks in savings a month.

It should work with t-mobile, i don't see why not, instead of ATT/AIO apn's just add a Tmobile apn and make sure that you have some time to play with the build.prop settings for example...

ro.carrier = spr can be changed to ndo and still work because "in theory" it matches the APN.
After adding the tmobile apn setting, changing ro.carrier to " t-mobile" to match the apn might work .

Try it out and see!

p.s i would leave ro.build.target_operator=spr alone, if all else fails you can change this too.

kdm212

Jan 12, 2009
www.myspace.com
interesting thread. i keep running into an issue though. as soon as i reboot after changing the stuff it reverts to where i was before and nothing saved. any suggestions? root is fine...

awesome stuff here i really want to see this happen on my flex!

Jholanar91

Nov 4, 2013
Wont allow apn change

so i got stuck with a simple issue. when i go into the apn list there is an apn there already.

cinet.spcs

and when i press the menu key it is not showing the add feature to be able to add the new apn as described in the thread.

ownmart

Feb 2, 2010
after doing these I noticed when opening Wifi it force closes and says "Unfortunantley, Settings has stopped"
only wifi that works is the one i used before doing these mods wont allow adding others
also have tried various wifi repair apps

silvergt2

Dec 5, 2010
santo domingo
Concerning the errors that appear often but I came out I did this : I returned and change in the build prop, spr for SPR capitalized and not returned to me the problem also remove the option to persist crash : 0 , take into GSM mode UMTS network selection mobile. I'm in version 4.4

fresnogamer

May 14, 2008
Fresno, CA
Not working for me.

I tried this 3 times. Once with stock 4.4.2. Once downgraded to 4.2.2 and another time after updating back to 4.4.2 from OTA. All failed. Could not get any sim to be recognized. I am a smart guy and have done much more complicated methods of flashing, rooting, etc. for Android phones. But this just does not work. The phone states no SIM when I put my Cricket SIM in it. But when I put the Sprint SIM back, it reads it.

Any help would be GREATLY accepted. Thank you.

PS: I called Sprint because this is a clean phone. When I asked for the unlock code they gave me the MSL. I have a feeling that is incorrect but I could be wrong. After an hour on the phone, they said that is the unlock code. No matter how much I tried to tell them it's not.

Supertacomonkeyexplosion

Dec 23, 2013
OnePlus 8 Pro
I tried this 3 times. Once with stock 4.4.2. Once downgraded to 4.2.2 and another time after updating back to 4.4.2 from OTA. All failed. Could not get any sim to be recognized. I am a smart guy and have done much more complicated methods of flashing, rooting, etc. for Android phones. But this just does not work. The phone states no SIM when I put my Cricket SIM in it. But when I put the Sprint SIM back, it reads it.

PS: I called Sprint because this is a clean phone. When I asked for the unlock code they gave me the MSL. I have a feeling that is incorrect but I could be wrong. After an hour on the phone, they said that is the unlock code. No matter how much I tried to tell them it's not.
Maybe this is a better guide for you:
http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-sim-unlock-sprint-lg-g2-ls980/
The Sim unlock does work, I've been using my sprint g flex on cricket for 6 months or so , but only with H+ .
You don't really need the msl or have the phone in good standing (blacklisted is OK).
If the Sim isn't being recognized that means you didn't do the folder replacement right. I had trouble at this part, which was solved by using the app "ROM toolbox". It took a few tries.
As far as changing the APN , just use any shortcut app on the playstore.
For switching bands, use the app " network" from the playstore. No msl needed.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

Forgot to mention that I am on 4.4.2 ZVA, there seems to be a problem/troubles with this mod after this update. Definitely get rid of bloatware/sprint to stop updates

Reactions: fresnogamer

fresnogamer

May 14, 2008
Fresno, CA
The Sim unlock does work, I've been using my sprint g flex on cricket for 6 months or so , but only with H+ .
You don't really need the msl or have the phone in good standing (blacklisted is OK).
If the Sim isn't being recognized that means you didn't do the folder replacement right. I had trouble at this part, which was solved by using the app "ROM toolbox". It took a few tries.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

Forgot to mention that I am on 4.4.2 ZVA, there seems to be a problem/troubles with this mod after this update. Definitely get rid of bloatware/sprint to stop updates

Tried this method twice so far. Both times the phone reboots or I get multiple force closes that disable the use of the phone. Guess I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help.

Supertacomonkeyexplosion

Dec 23, 2013
OnePlus 8 Pro
Tried this method twice so far. Both times the phone reboots or I get multiple force closes that disable the use of the phone. Guess I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help.
Did you use the files from my link? Flex specific?
Don't use total commander.
What software version are you on?
Even after the FC, does it recognize your Sim?
You must also change the build prop, just realize the guide doesn't have that. Probably why your getting FCs.
Save a copy before making changes:
ro.carrier=spr
ro.build.target_operator=spr

Last edited:

fresnogamer

May 14, 2008
Fresno, CA
You must also change the build prop, just realize the guide doesn't have that. Probably why your getting FCs.
ro.carrier=spr

Sorry for getting back to you so late. Life is busy with three kids and a full time job.

I wipped and followed the instructions again. VERY closely. It worked. Thank you very much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tutorial is my method for successfully unlocking the G flex to Cricket/AIO/ATT wireless with data/MMS, No battery drain, no Wifi calling drain.

1. Pros. Use Cricket/AIO/ATT sim.
    2. Cons. Must dial International code +1 ( or whatever country code you're in) before every 10 digit number.

********Before we start you need to be on stock 4.4.2 sprint rom with Network Mode LTE/CDMA enabled************
    (The roaming option does not appear when on GSM)
    Next, change theme from "FLEX" to "LG". For some reason FLEX bugs out after the phone unlocks and causes crashes. (May be an isolated incident)

*Now we need to add the APN from AIO wireless into the Apn list by going into settings>roaming>Access point names

*The APN list will be blank and state "NO APNS" this is normal. Hit the menu button and add the AIO wireless APN settings from
    http://buzzmobile.us/aio-wireless-apn-settings-internet-mms/
    When completed you will need to press the back button and once again you will be greeted with a blank APN screen. Don't worry it's there.

Follow the instructions for root + unlocking the phone here. Total commander doesn't work on 4.4.2, don't use it, do it all with Root Browser (Get from Play Store).
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50477852

After you are finished you should be rooted, successfully finished removing bloatware and left with a half unlocked phone.
    Now navigate to settings/tethering and networks/mobile networks/Network Mode and change to GSM/WCDMA

**********************You are finished with this portion of the Tutorial***********************

*Fun Part*
    1. Download Rom toolbox on your phone, the free/lite version is fine.
    2. Navigate to build.prop editor
    3. Find and change the settings listed..

ro.carrier=spr (spr to lowercase)

ro.build.target_operator=spr (spr to lowercase)

Lets keep something in mind here... Once you change these settings you will need to restart your phone and you will be unlocked for Cricket/AIO/ATT networks, however, at this time you should know that if you venture back into network mode and happen to change your settings back to LTE/CDMA, you will lose the ability to change your network mode back to GSM UNLESS you revert the build.prop changes listed above. You can actively switch from LTE/CDMA and GSM by this method although I don't see why anyone would..

At this point you should have Talk/Text/Data/MMS...If not, you may have done something wrong.

**More funner part***

At this point in the tutorial your phone is doing two things.

1. It lies when it says its only on GSM/WCDMA
    2. Rapidly draining the S#$% out of your battery.

We need the MSL Code so we may dial ##DATA# in your phone and access LTE settings.

Follow this Tutorial for retrieving your MSL code.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47324060

After you obtain the MSL pull up the phone application and dial ##DATA#(3282) Navigate into LTE and disable LTE/Band 26/Band 41
    When you back out of the menu your phone will restart and stop continuously looking for LTE Radio.

**Final touches**

Remove all and I mean ALL sprint and preloaded wifi calling applications if you experience wifi calling battery draining. For some reason wifi calling spazzes out.

I'm not going to list the apk's because it may be an isolated incident and if you find out wifi calling is draining your battery just long press it in battery stats and go to "APP INFO" and find out what it is named and remove it with root browser...

I have been on Cricket/AIO wireless for two weeks now with HSPA+ and enjoying it.

This method may work with other carriers who knows.

**Food for thought**

1. When I change the ro.carrier settings from lowercase spr to ndo like in the APN i got a cool h+ instead of GSM.
    2. I have not been able to wifi tether yet with cricket and I'm actively looking for a way now..
    3. Think anyone else has issues with the FLEX theme crashing?

ro.carrier=spr

Sorry for getting back to you so late. Life is busy with three kids and a full time job.

I wipped and followed the instructions again. VERY closely. It worked. Thank you very much.