[GUIDE] [OFFICIAL ROM] [GT-N5100] 4.4.2 Kitkat Update!

Should I add a Rooting Guide? [Closes on July]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread
Mar 16, 2014
Hello everyone, Im new here and this is my first thread. Please forgive me if I make mistakes. And sorry, I got no screenshots.

Did you ever wish you had Android KitKat on your GT-N5100? Well wish no more! The Official Update has already been released to Korea and Poland! It shouldn't take long for it to reach to other countries.

But if you are impatient, you can flash it now via Odin! ☺

Notes:
Make sure you have at least 80%
Make sure you have a back up
Make sure you remove ALL signs of root (e.g. Xposed,Busybox etc.)
Make sure all the apps in your External SD is moved to your Internal Storage. (To avoid force closing problems)
Make sure you have USB Debugging Enabled in Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging

BEFORE THE PROCEDURE MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A BACK UP BECAUSE THIS CAN SOFT BRICK YOUR DEVICE.I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WITH YOUR PHONE/TABLET/PHABLET

LETS BEGIN!!!

Download the Firmware from the Post below
After that unzip it and you will see 2 files, just put your attention to the tar.md5 files

Install Odin3 (Links below)

Now you need to install Samsung Kies. (Link also Below)

After installing kies go to the Odin3 Folder, Right click on it and hit "Run as Administrator"

Now that your done with the PC's Part. Put your attention on your tablet and shutdown/Power Off
After that press Volume Down and Home for a few seconds until you get into a screen with a Warning, just press Volume Up to continue.

And after that connect your phone to your PC via USB and Odin should automatically detect it.
An ID:COM[Number] will show in a box on the upper right and then click on PDA and go to the directory of where you put the unziped firmware folder you downloaded from SamMobile. Select the tar.md5 file.

After that make sure you dont have re-partition checked. Double check if you need to and hit "START"

PLEASE DONT REMOVE YOUR PHONE UNTIL YOU SEE A "PASS" MESSAGE IN THE BOX.
After that it should reboot and you now have Android 4.4.2 Kitkat on your GT-N5100!

Good Luck!

Incase you get in a Boot Loop
Press Volume Up and Power button to get into Recovery and perform a Factory Reset (Data wipe) then Wipe Cache Partition and Reboot.

Enjoy! :D

Source: International Business Times

Hit that thanks button if this helped! :)

LINKS ADDED! YEY!

ROOTING GUIDE COMING SOON

TROUBLESHOOTING

If your PC doesnt recognize your device, try reinstalling drivers, and if you are stuck on Download Mode just press and hold the Power Button until it shuts down then press and hold it again to turn your device on!

Tested on a Note 8! Didnt brick the device and is working, just make a backup incase you screw up.

Wanna see the changes? Go here

Last edited:

Yulka

Jun 25, 2014
Quick and noob question.
I have Note N5100 stock, it is still on 4.1.2 firmware, now i want to flash with odin official 4.4.2 kitkat on it. (from above post)
So question is, do i need to root it first so i can flash 4.4.2?

Thank you.

I would not flash official 4.4.2 kitkat with odin, over kies or over ota. You will get kitkat bootloader with knox, no write permissions for your apps to sd card, no working rooting method which would not trigger knox and void your warranty.
The rooting method he linked does not work for Exynos 4412 devices. Read the comments to the original geohots post in s5 forum or at least the towelroot thread in this section.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gadgety
Mar 16, 2014
I would not flash official 4.4.2 kitkat with odin, over kies or over ota. You will get kitkat bootloader with knox, no write permissions for your apps to sd card, no working rooting method which would not trigger knox and void your warranty.
The rooting method he linked does not work for Exynos 4412 devices. Read the comments to the original geohots post in s5 forum or at least the towelroot thread in this section.
Yeah it doesn't work, use CF-Auto-Root. Works perfectly,but you will see SuperSU Force closing or in some cases, it is not installed to fix this, install/update SuperSU :)

If and onlyif it doesn't work, try again.

Reactions: Gadgety

CowboyWorld

Nov 29, 2013
Yeah it doesn't work, use CF-Auto-Root. Works perfectly,but you will see SuperSU Force closing or in some cases, it is not installed to fix this, install/update SuperSU :)

I have done update to 4.4.2 with odin and with out root.
And there is no waranty woid or knox trigger.

So everything was OK. But i have downloaded Poland version of 4.4.2 N5100XXDND8 from samsung updates page.

VIPNobie

Jun 22, 2011
Sorry for the newbie question but how can I efficiently and completely backup my device? Any apps/software I can use? I know that I can just make a copy of all my photos, videos, etc to my laptop but how about my apps and its data? Will they be deleted after flashing this firmware?

K0media

Nov 29, 2014
Brasília - DF (Brazil)

_Kayani_

Oct 20, 2015
efs problematic after flashing firmware N5100

HI, its my first post on xda and new to this world so i will try to be reasonable here.
i followed the steps mentioned in this thread except one, i.e. i didnt make a backup. Now my n5100 wont move beyond initial samsung logo and the recovery mode says "cannot mount / efs"
i also found a thread which makes some excellent points (see below), but i would still like to know if any of you tried this and had a similar problem. if so, did you find a DIY method :D

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/general/ref-imei-efs-stuff-i9300-including-t2393289

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, Im new here and this is my first thread. Please forgive me if I make mistakes. And sorry, I got no screenshots.

Did you ever wish you had Android KitKat on your GT-N5100? Well wish no more! The Official Update has already been released to Korea and Poland! It shouldn't take long for it to reach to other countries.

But if you are impatient, you can flash it now via Odin! ☺

Notes:
    Make sure you have at least 80%
    Make sure you have a back up
    Make sure you remove ALL signs of root (e.g. Xposed,Busybox etc.)
    Make sure all the apps in your External SD is moved to your Internal Storage. (To avoid force closing problems)
    Make sure you have USB Debugging Enabled in Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging

BEFORE THE PROCEDURE MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A BACK UP BECAUSE THIS CAN SOFT BRICK YOUR DEVICE.I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WITH YOUR PHONE/TABLET/PHABLET

LETS BEGIN!!!

Download the Firmware from the Post below
    After that unzip it and you will see 2 files, just put your attention to the tar.md5 files

Install Odin3 (Links below)

Now you need to install Samsung Kies. (Link also Below)

After installing kies go to the Odin3 Folder, Right click on it and hit "Run as Administrator"

Now that your done with the PC's Part. Put your attention on your tablet and shutdown/Power Off
    After that press Volume Down and Home for a few seconds until you get into a screen with a Warning, just press Volume Up to continue.

And after that connect your phone to your PC via USB and Odin should automatically detect it.
    An ID:COM[Number] will show in a box on the upper right and then click on PDA and go to the directory of where you put the unziped firmware folder you downloaded from SamMobile. Select the tar.md5 file.

After that make sure you dont have re-partition checked. Double check if you need to and hit "START"

PLEASE DONT REMOVE YOUR PHONE UNTIL YOU SEE A "PASS" MESSAGE IN THE BOX.
    After that it should reboot and you now have Android 4.4.2 Kitkat on your GT-N5100!

Good Luck!

Incase you get in a Boot Loop
    Press Volume Up and Power button to get into Recovery and perform a Factory Reset (Data wipe) then Wipe Cache Partition and Reboot.

Enjoy! :D

Source: International Business Times

Hit that thanks button if this helped! :)

LINKS ADDED! YEY!

ROOTING GUIDE COMING SOON

TROUBLESHOOTING

If your PC doesnt recognize your device, try reinstalling drivers, and if you are stuck on Download Mode just press and hold the Power Button until it shuts down then press and hold it again to turn your device on!

Tested on a Note 8! Didnt brick the device and is working, just make a backup incase you screw up.

Wanna see the changes? Go here
    LINKS!

LINKS

Firmware

Kies (After updating make sure you use Kies3)

Odin3

Don't want to download Kies? Download these USB Drivers instead.

Enjoy!
    Quick and noob question.
    I have Note N5100 stock, it is still on 4.1.2 firmware, now i want to flash with odin official 4.4.2 kitkat on it. (from above post)
    So question is, do i need to root it first so i can flash 4.4.2?

Thank you.