[MOD] Enable Native Tethering without limits

Search This thread

mytouch990

Apr 11, 2011
Los Angeles
Nothing is working on stockroom or viper or any other rom. Unless you have to jump to cyanogen 11 rom. That work perfect

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

v2.2v

Jun 10, 2010
Nothing is working on stockroom or viper or any other rom. Unless you have to jump to cyanogen 11 rom. That work perfect

So CM11 works? What works? lol this is just confusing. No internet at my new place until the 22nd and NEED my chomecast to work lol

blakejohnson86

Nov 8, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I'm more-or-less stock 4.4.3 (Venom, but removed pretty much all Venom stuff because all I want is rooted-stock), but I think I have achieved the same result after a couple of steps...

1. I've removed _all_ rows referring to T-Mobile and the 'pcweb' apn. Basically, any row that has 'pcweb' in it, remove it. This applies to all databases within 'telephony.db'.
Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

2. Change the line from "pcweb.tmobile.com" to "fast.t-mobile.com" in the "/system/customize/ACC/default.xml" file.
Code:
<item type="string" name="fixed_apn_for_dun">fast.t-mobile.com</item>

3. Reboot.

I'm unsure why, but when I add 'dun' to my normal APN, my data connection stops working all together until I remove 'dun' from it. Otherwise, it seems to work.

Reactions: x714x

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
I'm more-or-less stock 4.4.3 (Venom, but removed pretty much all Venom stuff because all I want is rooted-stock), but I think I have achieved the same result after a couple of steps...

1. I've removed _all_ rows referring to T-Mobile and the 'pcweb' apn. Basically, any row that has 'pcweb' in it, remove it. This applies to all databases within 'telephony.db'.
Code:

2. Change the line from "pcweb.tmobile.com" to "fast.t-mobile.com" in the "/system/customize/ACC/default.xml" file.
Code:

3. Reboot.

I'm unsure why, but when I add 'dun' to my normal APN, my data connection stops working all together until I remove 'dun' from it. Otherwise, it seems to work.

I don't suppose you would be willing to give a little more guidance on how you went about updating the telephony.db file. I entered the command you have there for sqlite3 in a terminal emulator both as SU and not, and while I can start sqlite3, I have no idea what to do after that. Mind posting the commands you ran within sqlite3 to update telephony.db?

Thanks in advance!

blakejohnson86

Nov 8, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I don't suppose you would be willing to give a little more guidance on how you went about updating the telephony.db file. I entered the command you have there for sqlite3 in a terminal emulator both as SU and not, and while I can start sqlite3, I have no idea what to do after that. Mind posting the commands you ran within sqlite3 to update telephony.db?

Thanks in advance!
I was actually feeling lazy and I used an SQLite editor to do it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

I don't suppose figuring out the command line would be all that difficult though. Might look into that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jhebi

Aug 10, 2010

Hi there, that's what I thought to. I installed Viper rom and my hotspot wasn't working. But after I installed Viper rom again and right after this zip, my hotspot started working flawless. Now I can use it. Don't know if it was this zip, but I believe it was because it wasn't working before. :good::good:

tkoreaper

Jan 13, 2011

Code:

Code:

3. Reboot.

Worked like a charm! No more T-Mobile message when I go over my limit :D

syntropic

Mar 11, 2011
Chicago
www.neurozap.com
Then either:

A. Modify Settings.apk such that if the readonly flag is found on an APN then it is simply ignored. Edit APNs using the built in editor.

B. Decompile framework-res and find the resulting apn XML. Edit apns to your liking (optionally removing readonly or hidden flags).

Fenny: can you explain A. above? What do you mean exactly? Read-only flag for what? For users, groups, world? And what do you mean if it is found, it is simply ignored?

My settings is crashing now, so I am trying to fix this.

Thanks!

Fenny: can you explain A. above? What do you mean exactly? Read-only flag for what? For users, groups, world? And what do you mean if it is found, it is simply ignored?

My settings is crashing now, so I am trying to fix this.

Thanks!

that happened to me also. delete the odex setting apk. will fix it. but you need s-off to make it permanent.

Reactions: syntropic

solidus636

Jan 3, 2009
i did the edit for the default xml

i did the edit explained here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=56343213#post56343213

i have attached the default.xml file in a zip, already edited. this is for base 3.32.531.2 !!!

UNZIP, just transfer to SDCARD, change permissions to RW R R ; and rename the original file in /system/customer/ACC/ to default.xmlback

and place this here, reboot

post results!

Attachments

• default.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 89

rolph

Jan 13, 2013
My settings is crashing now

That happened to me to. Is it possible to flash stock settings.apk back to get it works?

blakejohnson86

Nov 8, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Hey Guys, for future reference, I have not noticed anyone ask yet, as I was searching around for this answer myself, but to enable unlimited tethering on a GPE 5.0 ROM, it's a combination of a few steps:

1. Use an SQLite editor to open the following database on your device "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db", select the "global" table, and then create the key "tether_dun_required" with the value of "0" (I have not tested this, but even without root, this is possible by issuing the command "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" over ADB.)
  2. Change your APN settings to IPv4 instead of the usually default IPv6 or IPv4/IPv6.
  3. Add the string "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" to your build.prop file. (I have not tested this, but the tool here seems to do this automatically for you: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/themes-apps/app-hotspot-entitlement-bypass-v1-1-5-9-t2705152)
  4. Reboot

Source: http://pocketnow.com/2015/01/01/nexus-6-tethering

DROITURK182

Oct 11, 2010
Gainesville
this needs to be updated to work with Lollipop Roms especially the newest ARHD rom. tried flashing the old zip on the newest ARHD rom and my settings wouldn't work, had to restore backup.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Free mobile app

fmedrano1977

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, TX
this needs to be updated to work with Lollipop Roms especially the newest ARHD rom. tried flashing the old zip on the newest ARHD rom and my settings wouldn't work, had to restore backup.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Free mobile app

Unlimited tethering working on Insertcoin Lolipop here with a framework-res.apk edit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Last edited:

fmedrano1977

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Can you explain it or point me in the right direction for the edit?

You want to decompile framework-res.apk located in system/framework, there are/is tutorials on XDA for this. I myself use a program called Virtuous Ten Studio, GUI based, very easy to use, but it's not free. Once you get framework-res.apk decompiled, you want to go into the xml folder and edit your corresponding tether apn in apn.xml.

What Rom are you on?

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Reactions: Lancerz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The following Mod will unlock all APNs for editing, and allow you to tether using the Stock Built-in tethering:

For this to work, you must be rooted, and have busybox installed.

This is confirmed working on T-Mo software version 1.12.531.19 It may work for others, but they should probably have their own Settings.apk mod done to avoid issues.

People were having problems installing this via ADB, so I have made a flashable zip to simplify the process:

Step 2:
    Once your phone has rebooted, go into Settings -> Mobile Data -> Access point names.
    Select the one for "T-Mobile Data" Which should now be editable.
    Scroll down, and change the APN protocol from IPv6 to IPv4.
    Select Menu and hit "Save"

OLD Instructions:

Step 1:
    Download the following modded Settings.apk to the root of /sdcard/: http://www.cheatersedge.org/android/m8/Settings.apk

Step 2 (Via ADB):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    sed -i s/pcweb.tmobile.com/fast.t-mobile.com/g /system/customize/ACC/default.xml
    cp /sdcard/Settings.apk /system/app/Settings.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/Settings.apk
    mv /system/app/Settings.odex /system/app/Settings.odex.bak
    reboot

Step 3:
    Once your phone has rebooted, go into Settings -> Mobile Data -> Access point names.
    Select the one for "T-Mobile Data" Which should now be editable.
    Scroll down, and change the APN protocol from IPv6 to IPv4.
    Select Menu and hit "Save"

Step 4:
    Enjoy fully working tethering over the normal APN.

Step 5:
    Someone else should make a flashable zip *Hint* step 3 can be done with sqlite3 in the command line but... I am feeling lazy :D.
    How would you go about getting this to work on a deodexed ROM? I just attempted the walkthrough with ARHD 3.4 and it didn't work, my APN settings are still locked

ARHD probably has a different Settings.apk. The APN unlocking magic is in my modded Settings.apk. I have patched it to simply ignore the "readonly" value in telephony.db.

Hey Guys, for future reference, I have not noticed anyone ask yet, as I was searching around for this answer myself, but to enable unlimited tethering on a GPE 5.0 ROM, it's a combination of a few steps:

1. Use an SQLite editor to open the following database on your device "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db", select the "global" table, and then create the key "tether_dun_required" with the value of "0" (I have not tested this, but even without root, this is possible by issuing the command "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" over ADB.)
    2. Change your APN settings to IPv4 instead of the usually default IPv6 or IPv4/IPv6.
    3. Add the string "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" to your build.prop file. (I have not tested this, but the tool here seems to do this automatically for you: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/themes-apps/app-hotspot-entitlement-bypass-v1-1-5-9-t2705152)
    4. Reboot

Source: http://pocketnow.com/2015/01/01/nexus-6-tethering
    Deleted settings.odex and it unlocked the apns. Haven't tried websites but I did notice after doing this I switched to ART and it broke the settings. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Put that odex file back after you have changed the apns. It will relock them, but you can reenable ART.

That is good info. All of this still feels way above my understanding of this. I've never decompiled or rebuilt after decompiling. I'll have to keep researching more info. Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda premium

Oh probably worth mentioning you can just reset APNs rather than hard resetting.