How to format 64gb micro sd card to Fat32 to work on SGS3

Search This thread

sam-had

Aug 13, 2012
montreal
Hi guys,
I faced a problem with my 64gb. Sandisk micro SD and I solved the issue and I thought about posting the solution here that might help some of you.
so... the issue I faced is how to get TWRP recovery or CWM to mount my Ex sd card.
basically the problem is that the card is formatted in exfat or NTFS and in both ways it won't be recognized by TWRP and the only way to formate it in fat32 is by only one software because windows can not format more than 32gb in Fat32.
and here is how:

first: download EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition from this link http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol%3bpop&cdlPid=10982635

Second : Now you can see a list of all of your hard drives. Note the one highlighted in blue on the grid. This is my 64GB MicroSDXC card in my USB Card Reader. Obviously the location of your card in the list may differ dependant on the number of drives in your computer

You’ll need to right-click on the drive in the list representing your 64GB MicroSDXC card and click “Format partition”

Third : You need to select FAT32 for the File System, and 32KB for Cluster Size.
EaseUS doesn’t immediately apply the changes you specify. Instead, it queues them up so that you can review and revise them before you commit to having the program affect those changes. then we need to press the Apply button.

that's it ... now you can enjoy your 64gb MicroSd and you can mount it in TWRP or CWM recovery .

your welcome :)

sohail77

Oct 15, 2011
Use partition wizard tool

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

sam-had

Aug 13, 2012
montreal
Ohh Didn't know that

then where should I post it and how can I move it ?
or it is the admin who will move it for me ?

thanks

dionysos77

Jan 19, 2007
Hi guys,
I faced a problem with my 64gb. Sandisk micro SD and I solved the issue and I thought about posting the solution here that might help some of you.
so... the issue I faced is how to get TWRP recovery or CWM to mount my Ex sd card.
basically the problem is that the card is formatted in exfat or NTFS and in both ways it won't be recognized by TWRP and the only way to formate it in fat32 is by only one software because windows can not format more than 32gb in Fat32.
and here is how:

first: download EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition from this link http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol%3bpop&cdlPid=10982635

Second : Now you can see a list of all of your hard drives. Note the one highlighted in blue on the grid. This is my 64GB MicroSDXC card in my USB Card Reader. Obviously the location of your card in the list may differ dependant on the number of drives in your computer

You’ll need to right-click on the drive in the list representing your 64GB MicroSDXC card and click “Format partition”

Third : You need to select FAT32 for the File System, and 32KB for Cluster Size.
EaseUS doesn’t immediately apply the changes you specify. Instead, it queues them up so that you can review and revise them before you commit to having the program affect those changes. then we need to press the Apply button.

that's it ... now you can enjoy your 64gb MicroSd and you can mount it in TWRP or CWM recovery .

I've tried this method, my card became 32GB :(
Then I put it into my Galaxy Note, it saw it also as 32GB, then I formatted the card with Gnote, then it became 64GB again :(

I was planning to create two partitions with minitools formatting tool, one was supoosed to be 16 GB FAT32 and the remaning part would be 48GB NTFS, and I was planning to use, Paragon NTFS to mount that NTFS partition on GNOTE.

But because after formatting on PC it became 32 GB I couldn't do that.

Any suggestions ?

redcero

Nov 21, 2012
thanks so much for this. I just bought a new 64 gb card for my phone and it "corrupted" on me twice. I plugged it in to my comp and it was exFat. Followed the directions here and formatted to fat32. Now I have to copy my files again. I hope this works. Oh and according to my phone, there is no update 4.1.2 for it. I am on 4.0.4 and it cannot find any updates so that doesnt really work for me.

thanatos1219

Aug 5, 2012
Pune
www.facebook.com
THANK YOU!!

I had been trying to do thiis for 4 hours when i saw ur post! Thanks sooo much..at first i got an error while formatting, but then i quit all other applications as recommended by the software and it woeked perfectly on my HTC Sensation. Thank You Soooo much:laugh::good:

Careyst

Nov 24, 2012
New York City
I was looking to format my card to Fat32 so I can use a Paranoid Android Rom. What happens when I want to flash another ROM and the new ROM is a Tochwiz Rom... Will I need to unformat the card or reverse it someway? I'm a newbie to this stuff.

Pard0ned

Oct 14, 2010
Belfast
I was looking to format my card to Fat32 so I can use a Paranoid Android Rom. What happens when I want to flash another ROM and the new ROM is a Tochwiz Rom... Will I need to unformat the card or reverse it someway? I'm a newbie to this stuff.

No. Touchwizz roms and aokp/cm10 roms can both read fat32 sd cards. Because exfat is licenced from Microsoft AOKP can't incorporate the drivers needed to get exfat formatted card to work.

Short story is both roms can read/write to fat32 formatted sd cards. Only Touchwizz roms can read/write to exfat formatted cards. Unless you copy a lot of single files over 4GB in size stick with fat32 formatting. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

vicky4112

Dec 26, 2012
Hi guys,
and here is how:

I tried what you suggested. However, the partition stayed at 32 GB only instead of 64 GB. Any more suggestions.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Then I put it into my Galaxy Note, it saw it also as 32GB, then I formatted the card with Gnote, then it became 64GB again :(

I was planning to create two partitions with minitools formatting tool, one was supoosed to be 16 GB FAT32 and the remaning part would be 48GB NTFS, and I was planning to use, Paragon NTFS to mount that NTFS partition on GNOTE.

Any suggestions ?

I also have the same problem, my 64 GB card has become 32 GB one. I used the suggested program to partition but still 32 GB. Can you explain what is Gnote and how to use it. Thanks

Reactions: wnflyer

vicky4112

Dec 26, 2012

Any suggestions ?
Did you ever find out how to revert back to 64 GB. I am exactly in a similar situation with a 64 GB converted to 32 GB and do not know what to do?

Edit: I have used guiformat program also.

Hawkalpin

May 23, 2012

You can still use your card normally. I've done the inverse way (Touchwiz to AOKP) and works too.

The point is: Touchwiz based ROMs have support to FAT32 and exFAT. AOKP ones have support only to FAT32.

Any suggestions ?

Did you ever find out how to revert back to 64 GB. I am exactly in a similar situation with a 64 GB converted to 32 GB and do not know what to do?

Edit: I have used guiformat program also.

Same problem here also 32 everytime followed instructions exactly im using windows 8

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

That's another point OP have forgotten. Your card reader must support microSDXC cards. Most readers support only microSDHC and these are maximum 32Gb storage. microSDXC has elevated this limit to 2TB. I had to buy myself a new card reader due to that incompatibility.

There's a fragment in Wikipedia which explains this situation:

SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle 64 GB and larger volumes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC

I really sorry for my english, but I hope you and another people understand it. :good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    and here is how:

Here is how I got mine going on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint model with a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A)

I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

NOTE - Backup any files you wish to keep 1st. Power down phone before removing card.

1. Install after download
    2. Select the card (in my case it was drive E:)
    3. Click on Delete from the top between Create & Format
    4. Click Apply on the far left hand side, this will take like 30 sec to a few min to run depending upon your system/card speed.
    5. Click Create from the top between Merge & Delete.
    6. In the Create As: dropdown choose Primary. In the File System dropdown choose Fat32. In the Cluster Size: drop down choose 32k. Click Ok.
    7. Click Apply at the top left hand side and then Yes, it will take like 10-15 sec to apply then click OK.
    8. Click Format at the top between Delete and Copy.
    9. In the File System: drop down choose Fat32. In the Cluster Size: drop down choose 32k. Then click OK
    10. Click Apply at the top left hand side, then Yes to proceed. It will take a few seconds to do, then click OK.
    11. Close the program and that should do it.
    12. Put the card back into your phone and power back up again.

Clockwork Mod backups, Titanium Backups, moving apps all worked after that and see's 64GB of space.

Hope it helps!
    Just use Guiformat...small app attached

No. Touchwizz roms and aokp/cm10 roms can both read fat32 sd cards. Because exfat is licenced from Microsoft AOKP can't incorporate the drivers needed to get exfat formatted card to work.

Short story is both roms can read/write to fat32 formatted sd cards. Only Touchwizz roms can read/write to exfat formatted cards. Unless you copy a lot of single files over 4GB in size stick with fat32 formatting. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    GUI Format is an easy to use and fast solution too.