[RECOVERY/BOOTSTRAP] Safestrap for Kindle Fire HD 7" (ON HOLD)

Search This thread

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010
Im not a dev but when i installed it i could not get rid of it i had to fastboot and reflash my system, boot, and recovery images because it wouldnt go away. Besides theres other ways to backup your kindles images and restore them. You just have to do the research. I think true custom recovery is better anyway so why would you want this. It cant even run the custom rom they are developing at the moment. Just be patient.

Sent from my KFTT using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

n8dogg88

Apr 21, 2011
Lincoln
So can I push custom recovery through even though I have safe strap installed. I'm ready to flash custom roms. I don't want to brick though. Is this possible?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

xiro49

Jan 8, 2013
So can I push custom recovery through even though I have safe strap installed. I'm ready to flash custom roms. I don't want to brick though. Is this possible?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I have been asking that for ever No one ever gives me an answer one day i may just try it :eek:

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010
Just guessing but if you flash the custom recovery it should just go over the top of safestrap and get rid of it. This is One thing i didnt try in order to get rid of safstrap because custom rom isnt finished. When you flash the custom recovery you flash it to boot, recovery, and system so should be alright. Get a fastboot cable or make one and try it. Besides i think they are having problems getting kernel to work on kfhd 7" so really there arnt any good roms to flash. The rom they have looks great and the things that are working work great but without sound and video streaming theres really no point in using it
Unless your trying to help in getting things to work. Just a warning if you dont have a fastboot cable you will be stuck with custom rom. You have to have one to flash back to stock. Trust me found out the hard way and ended up making a cable.

Sent from my rooted and tweaked Kindle Fire HD 7"

Last edited:

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010
Do not flash any roms not made specifically for the kindle hd you will most definitely brick your hd. There is one rom developed for the hd and like i said its still being worked on. Do not flash kindle first generation or second generation kindle fire roms.

Sent from my rooted and tweaked Kindle Fire Hd 7"

Reactions: n8dogg88

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
Last edited:

Maromi

Jul 18, 2012
This was for 2012 Tate KFHD7 not 2013 soho. Do not use anything posted in op for any kindle in these forums.

Master Melab

Jan 26, 2011
I've decided to put this project on hold as the bootloader has been fixed for the HD8.9/7 (and in theory can be fixed for the KFire2's)

SAFESTRAP v3.05 BETA (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery)

** DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A SERIOUS HACK YOU ARE ABOUT TO PERFORM TO THE DEVICE.
DUE TO THE WAY THIS BOOTSTRAP WORKS, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF SOFT-BRICKING.
I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOUR KINDLE BY USING THIS TOOL.
YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you bypassed the BIG RED letters above, make sure you re-read it and understand that you're installing a hijack which affects the normal boot process of the Kindle Fire HD. If that process is changed in anyway it could lead to a soft-bricked device which will need to be fastboot restored.

FOR NOW THIS IS FOR THE KINDLE FIRE HD 7", LATER I ALSO HAVE A VERISON WHICH WILL WORK ON THE KFIRE2.

Download the APK Here
md5sum: 9e409cf3a9d7d510b5bf19262ecfb6d5

Brief Overview / Instructions for how to use Safestrap:
http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Currently there's a bug where when you create and activate a rom-slot, the /sdcard is pointed at the rom-slots "/data" partition. This of course won't have all of your content in it. I'll release an update once that's fixed.

CHANGES:
  • [11/14] Initial release for KFireHD7
  • [10/30] Begin testing tablet interface for Kindle Fire's
  • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed SD card / emmc sharing in recovery (UMS)
  • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed recovery installation/removal from ROM-slots
  • [10/14] Updated to v3.04 BETA.
  • [10/14] Recovery is now based off TWRP 2.2.2.1 (fully featured touch-based recovery)
  • [10/14] Can create up to 4 Virtual ROM-slots to flash ROMs to and when "Active" ALL TWRP functions affect that ROM-slot (For example: Flashing .zips, Backup and Restore)
  • [10/14] Nearly instant swapping from ROM to ROM
  • [10/14] User selectable data partition sizes during ROM slot creation: 1GB, 2GB or 3GB
  • [10/14] ROM slots are saved on the internal emmc space so that preinstall and webtop partitions are no longer used and shouldn't break OTAs.
  • [10/14] Charging in recovery
  • [10/14] Supports "Reboot Recovery" from Android OS

Entry to recovery via Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the "Recovery" button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery. You can skip the wait by touching the "Continue" button.

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Stock flashing is currently disabled. And this will probably remain this way for the foreseeable future.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
  • The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
  • The testers which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

[ SCREENSHOTS COMING SOON ]

Does this replace the first stage bootloader?

munwwer

Dec 10, 2015
hi,
I have kndle fire hd 7 inch 16GB
model no X43Z60
FCC ID YJM-0725
On Yesterday Trying SRTool v1.3.5 Connect and Applying Option# 4th> remove cache and system and option# 1st> restore-factory rooted with super SU.apk uploading <recovery 7.3.0.image > Successfully Complete and Exit.
After Re Boot the Device Stuck in Kindle-fire Orange Logo and Logo Blink after Every 10 seconds.
Please help me and Recover the issue. Thanks so much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've decided to put this project on hold as the bootloader has been fixed for the HD8.9/7 (and in theory can be fixed for the KFire2's)

SAFESTRAP v3.05 BETA (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery)

** DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A SERIOUS HACK YOU ARE ABOUT TO PERFORM TO THE DEVICE.
    DUE TO THE WAY THIS BOOTSTRAP WORKS, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF SOFT-BRICKING.
    I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOUR KINDLE BY USING THIS TOOL.
    YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you bypassed the BIG RED letters above, make sure you re-read it and understand that you're installing a hijack which affects the normal boot process of the Kindle Fire HD. If that process is changed in anyway it could lead to a soft-bricked device which will need to be fastboot restored.

FOR NOW THIS IS FOR THE KINDLE FIRE HD 7", LATER I ALSO HAVE A VERISON WHICH WILL WORK ON THE KFIRE2.

Download the APK Here
    md5sum: 9e409cf3a9d7d510b5bf19262ecfb6d5

Brief Overview / Instructions for how to use Safestrap:
    http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Currently there's a bug where when you create and activate a rom-slot, the /sdcard is pointed at the rom-slots "/data" partition. This of course won't have all of your content in it. I'll release an update once that's fixed.

CHANGES:
    • [11/14] Initial release for KFireHD7
    • [10/30] Begin testing tablet interface for Kindle Fire's
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed SD card / emmc sharing in recovery (UMS)
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed recovery installation/removal from ROM-slots
    • [10/14] Updated to v3.04 BETA.
    • [10/14] Recovery is now based off TWRP 2.2.2.1 (fully featured touch-based recovery)
    • [10/14] Can create up to 4 Virtual ROM-slots to flash ROMs to and when "Active" ALL TWRP functions affect that ROM-slot (For example: Flashing .zips, Backup and Restore)
    • [10/14] Nearly instant swapping from ROM to ROM
    • [10/14] User selectable data partition sizes during ROM slot creation: 1GB, 2GB or 3GB
    • [10/14] ROM slots are saved on the internal emmc space so that preinstall and webtop partitions are no longer used and shouldn't break OTAs.
    • [10/14] Charging in recovery
    • [10/14] Supports "Reboot Recovery" from Android OS

Entry to recovery via Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the "Recovery" button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery. You can skip the wait by touching the "Continue" button.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Stock flashing is currently disabled. And this will probably remain this way for the foreseeable future.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    • The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
    • The testers which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

[ SCREENSHOTS COMING SOON ]
    Hello all,

I know this thread has been quiet for a few days and it's mainly due to a big I'm trying to work around during the entry to recovery.

What happens is the old init process is somehow still lingering long enough to trigger the "omap watchdog" driver in the kernel. it's a driver designed to reset the device when the process thinks it's hung up.

Turns out we killed the old init process off on purpose, so that we can re-start it with new rootfs files. But, that doesn't change the fact that recovery reboots about 20 seconds after you enter.

I'm tinkering with various solutions atm.
    Testing Update: We have a solid boot after Safestrap installation which is a plus since we're now injecting the recovery splashscreen into the boot process.

My last test (#3) didn't have a working touch controller during the splashscreen, but I have test #4 ready which *could* load the touch driver and allow for entry, but since it's Halloween and we all have families, I won't know how that works till later tonight.

TODO: I'm working on re-doing the Safestrap theme for 800x1280. I had previously been running a 1280x800 theme but the screen is vertical not horizontal. So the layout will be more phone-style than tablet looking.

But even if it's the default TWRP theme with a few missing images, I'll know if we're in a usable state soon.

Verifying Device: I think we can turn on asserts before flashing ROMs. However, it could be that every single Kindle Fire device is named "blaze_tablet" or "blaze" so that might be less than useful. It will take some testing probably to come up with a solution. The Safestrap APK performs a model check when you click "Install Recovery" (KFTT == KindleFireHD-7) and instantly bails if that's not true, so at least you can't install the wrong devices' recovery.

On the donations: There should be a button under my name on any post which links to my paypal.

However, let's hold off donations till we see some actual results and have a working stock-based ROM to flash which devs can tweak w/o fear of bricking. At that point I'll call it a successful bootstrap/recovery and we can move on to AOSP builds.

I'm not against donations (tho I don't do this for money obviously), I just feel you should already have something in your hands and be happy with it before you give any hard earned money to a dev.
    Just a quick note....

Progress has been made. Stuff is starting to work.

Stay Tuned.

:highfive:
    OP updated with the beta APK.

** BECAREFUL **

KNOWN ISSUES:

As with any locked device this tool allows you to mess up your stuff. Just use common sense for now, maybe make a backup and get used to Safestrap.

Enjoy

More to do, to get custom ROMs on their way. Thank you for being patient.