[Q] E980 bricked - Computer says "unknown device" - Only boots into Recovery and DL

Search This thread

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53
[Q] E980 bricked - Computer says "unknown device" - Only boots into Recovery and DL

My wife somehow managed to bork her Optimus G Pro. She was running rooted stock, and the phone ended up somehow booting to CWM. She said she "picked a few selections", and the phone won't get past CWM now.

I can't do the mobile flash tool because every time I connect the phone, it somes up as Unknown Device. This is after I updated the drivers on both computers. Tried various ports & USB cables, same thing. MY E980, by the way, shows up fine in Device Manager.

I've tried restoring a previous backup, but it still boots right back to recovery. For some reason, the phone doesn't recognize the external card, or I would have tried making a backup on the other phone with the bootloader included, but I have no way of getting it onto the broken phone, unless I can push it via adb somehow.

Anyway, I appreciate any help anyone can give

abumy

Mar 18, 2014
My wife somehow managed to bork her Optimus G Pro. She was running rooted stock, and the phone ended up somehow booting to CWM. She said she "picked a few selections", and the phone won't get past CWM now.

I can't do the mobile flash tool because every time I connect the phone, it somes up as Unknown Device. This is after I updated the drivers on both computers. Tried various ports & USB cables, same thing. MY E980, by the way, shows up fine in Device Manager.

I've tried restoring a previous backup, but it still boots right back to recovery. For some reason, the phone doesn't recognize the external card, or I would have tried making a backup on the other phone with the bootloader included, but I have no way of getting it onto the broken phone, unless I can push it via adb somehow.

Anyway, I appreciate any help anyone can give

If the message you are referring to is one that pops up using a windows computer. I have seen it most of the times I have flashed back to stock. Unknown device, device can't be recognized, something not installed, etc. Carrying on with the restore method even so has also worked every time.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Return to stock method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2420219

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53
If the message you are referring to is one that pops up using a windows computer. I have seen it most of the times I have flashed back to stock. Unknown device, device can't be recognized, something not installed, etc. Carrying on with the restore method even so has also worked every time.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Return to stock method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2420219

Yep, that's the message. I'm running Windows 7.

I'll give it a shot when I get home, but without the device showing up in the com port section of device manager, I can't change the phone over to port 41, right?

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53
I don't know if OP has the same problem as mine. My phone just keep boot into CWM all the time. No matter which rom I flash.

And I Finally found a method to solve this problem, please look here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49370751&postcount=70

It salve my phone and I don't have to use the LG tools

@ixijimixi

Reading that post, it sure seems like what I'm going through. I'll have to give it a shot tonight. Either way, thanks for the response. This thing has me pulling my hair out.

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
Reading that post, it sure seems like what I'm going through. I'll have to give it a shot tonight. Either way, thanks for the response. This thing has me pulling my hair out.

before you boot into system, make sure you already have one system installed( I did once wipe system and fogot to install a rom..)

At least that post is working for me! Now I am using TWRP,

Reactions: ixijimixi

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53
before you boot into system, make sure you already have one system installed( I did once wipe system and fogot to install a rom..)

No luck with that post. Followed every step on two different computers, but neither computer will recognize it (keep getting that "unknown device" error in windows).

I saw a post somewhere that someone had luck formatting their system drive in Recovery, but that seems a little bit drastic to me. I'll probably try uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers again first. And more swearing. LOTS more swearing...

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
No luck with that post. Followed every step on two different computers, but neither computer will recognize it (keep getting that "unknown device" error in windows).

I saw a post somewhere that someone had luck formatting their system drive in Recovery, but that seems a little bit drastic to me. I'll probably try uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers again first. And more swearing. LOTS more swearing...

Did you install LG driver in those two computer?

That post has cover issues when device is not recognized. If that doesn't help, you need to go back to stock using files in the General section

Last edited:

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach

try this one, use the TWRP method. ( I got into recovery bootloop again today, my computer could not see my phone at all. And I accidently press continue on OTA... f**k, then phone run into recovery for 2 hours.)

This method help me out even when computer could not see your device.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2451696

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53

That post has cover issues when device is not recognized. If that doesn't help, you need to go back to stock using files in the General section

Right, but if my computer isn't connecting to my phone (except to show it as an "Unknown Device"), and ADB isn't connecting, and none of the recoveries see the ext. SD card, how do I get the files across?

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53
try this one, use the TWRP method. ( I got into recovery bootloop again today, my computer could not see my phone at all. And I accidently press continue on OTA... f**k, then phone run into recovery for 2 hours.)

Holy crap...that idea with the TWRP terminal command got me up and booting! So glad that I kept TWRP on there!

For some reason, it's still not reading either the SD card or recognizing the device on USB, but at least this is progress, and at least I can run the thing.

*update* and now it seems to be reading the SD card. At least with that and wifi, I'll be able to move files to/from the phone. I'm going to try reinstallng drivers. With all the reinstalling, uninstalling, and swearing I've done lately, I think there's a good chance that'll work.

Last edited:

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
Holy crap...that idea with the TWRP terminal command got me up and booting! So glad that I kept TWRP on there!

For some reason, it's still not reading either the SD card or recognizing the device on USB, but at least this is progress, and at least I can run the thing.

*update* and now it seems to be reading the SD card. At least with that and wifi, I'll be able to move files to/from the phone. I'm going to try reinstallng drivers. With all the reinstalling, uninstalling, and swearing I've done lately, I think there's a good chance that'll work.

well You should owe me 8 thanks hit for saving your phone..:fingers-crossed: LOL

I would also recommend reinstall drivers, then reboot computer( it is important), and try different USB ports on your PC. my computer just won't recongize my phone on one port, but it does on the other. God knows why...

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53
well You should owe me 8 thanks hit for saving your phone..:fingers-crossed: LOL

I would also recommend reinstall drivers, then reboot computer( it is important), and try different USB ports on your PC. my computer just won't recongize my phone on one port, but it does on the other. God knows why...

Heheheh, yeah, I was going to, but then I read your previous sig. :D Perfectly happy to ignore.

My google-fu failed me major league on this mess. I'm just hoping it's not a busted USB port on the phone.

Reactions: laofan

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
Heheheh, yeah, I was going to, but then I read your previous sig. :D Perfectly happy to ignore.

My google-fu failed me major league on this mess. I'm just hoping it's not a busted USB port on the phone.

Try different USB ports on PC. When my PC could not see my phone, I also panic and thinking that the USB port on the phone goes wrong.

Then I switch the port which my mouse is usually hook up. Bang! Windows is installing driver and few seconds Iater I was accessing the files on the phone.

Just give it a try.

My signature is just for fun...Emm, I should change it to " hit thanks twice if you like my post "..

ixijimixi

Oct 10, 2011
Warwick, RI
Samsung Galaxy A53
Try different USB ports on PC. When my PC could not see my phone, I also panic and thinking that the USB port on the phone goes wrong.

Then I switch the port which my mouse is usually hook up. Bang! Windows is installing driver and few seconds Iater I was accessing the files on the phone.

Just give it a try..

Well, I'm out of ports to try on my work computer. I'll try on my home computer later on. It didn't read it last night...but then again, the phone wasn't booting last night either :D

My signature is just for fun...Emm, I should change it to " hit thanks twice if you like my post "..
"Hit the thanks button like a rat pressing a lever for a nugget of food, thanks" :D

Reactions: laofan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if OP has the same problem as mine. My phone just keep boot into CWM all the time. No matter which rom I flash.

And I Finally found a method to solve this problem, please look here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49370751&postcount=70

It salve my phone and I don't have to use the LG tools

@ixijimixi