When using GPS and charging in car, phone won't charge?

Search This thread

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
When I use GPS and want to charge from car charger, phone drops battery percentage, little slower then without a charger, but still dropping. So I thought that the charger is not strong enough, and bought another one with 3.1A, little better but still dropping. Then I try with home charger and no dropping, the GPS is working and battery is charging!
Is that normal, that the car charger can not charge the battery when the phone is in heavy use? The home charger have only 1A, and car 3.1A.

intel007

Nov 21, 2011
Kent/London
Try NOT using an original HTC cable but instead a generic cable.

I recently purchased an external battery pack to charge my phone while on the move, I thought it would be best to use an original HTC cable but found it was charging to slow, when I checked in settings- power it stated at the top that it wasn't Charging as AC.

I suggest you go to your car and plug in your phone

Then go to: settings - power, check if your phone is charging as AC, if not you'll need to try with another cable ( check screenshot)
u5eda5ez.jpg

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
I don't use original cable anyway, have other cable in car. Check it and it say AC.

Adapter is this one:

Last edited:

intel007

Nov 21, 2011
Kent/London
That's really strange mate, I don't have this issue, is there any possibility of trying a different car charger & or cable?, maybe a friend's just to eliminate it as a possibility.

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
I tried today different things, original htc charger and cable, different charger and cable, and all of that in different car...
The best was with original htc charger and non-original cable. Phone start charging and i think that was that, BUT...
After approximately half an hour, start discharging again, and i think that i accidentally move the cable, but the red charging led was glowing. When checked in power settings, there say "discharging". I disconnect the charger and connect again, start charging but after a minute it stop. Some overheating, maybe?

intel007

Nov 21, 2011
Kent/London
It sounds like that could be the problem (over heating) maybe you should try a different kernel and undervolt a little to see if it will help.

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
Ok, I can try, I'm currently on Lyapota's 023 kernel and Viper X 4.1.1, everything else working very well.

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
Yes, lot's of people says that this version is the best, I would try it.
So, you try to use gps and the phone charging ok with Lyapota 017? Which rom you use?

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
Ok, thanks, will try with 017 and report back.

Edit:
I didn't know that this is a very common problem, that the cable is the one who can't supply enough current. I found many articles about this problem, and found something very interesting on Youtube. Will try this tomorrow and report if it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-rfImR86g

Last edited: