GPL Compliant Recovery - Beta1 available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Kinz1980

Feb 11, 2011
Mukwonago
I guess I will be the noob first. What is the gpl? And what is the difference in the2? And how do I install this, do I just flash it? Or do I unroot then install?

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium

randomblame

Recognized Developer
May 18, 2009
Reactions: Kinz1980

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
Many thanks! Hope to see some of the features in thor's recovery ported to a GPL compliant recovery (mainly OC and ability to see internal & external :)

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
I thought I understood this stuff but maybe I don't. CWM is just recovery, and doesn't run on a kernel, no? I have CWM installed and can flash any kernel, yes?

Bob

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
I thought I understood this stuff but maybe I don't. CWM is just recovery, and doesn't run on a kernel, no? I have CWM installed and can flash any kernel, yes?

Bob

Every recovery has a kernel in it. It needs that to work properly. The kernel inside of it though can be different then the one you use with Android. :)

randomblame

Recognized Developer
May 18, 2009
Haha as long as you wont be using your 3g radio in recovery you'll do fine :D blazingwolf reports that the nandroid features are broken so be aware of that

anoninja118

Mar 31, 2011
L.A.
now that's the CWM I'm used to seeing lol... flashed fine and flashed v3.7 OC kernel right after with no issues, great work man hope you can continue now with ICS :D

blazing through on my Acer A500 via XDA app

themono

Sep 15, 2010
Wow, dude, this was... really, really fast. Thank you very much for doing this for us.

Will download and install when I get home. I'm personally not fussed about overclock in recovery, etc - just barebones is all I need and it sounds like this is already there.

jm77

Sep 24, 2008
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Far too many individuals violate the GPL and it's awesome to see someone work with it rather than against it.

Reactions: aftertzf

teflontactics

Sep 27, 2011
Lack of nandroid is a bit too barebones for me, but once that's working I'm in.

I'm with this guy, though I must say that I appreciate the effort from randomblame. Following the rules and doing things properly leads to things that WORK properly. Thor's roms and recovery have issues, however useful they may be.

Sep 26, 2008
Great!

I have other android devices and was turned off by some people in the a500 community not following the law (by not complying with software licenses). I thought XDA had a policy about that, but maybe it is not applied to everyone.
As a software developer my self (mainly non-android) I was shocked by the actions of those parties breaking the law.
It is great to see people stepping up to fix the problem. Thanks for your work.

EDIT: I see people are removing thor's links from forum posts. Thats good. I remember seeing several over the past 6 months, maybe I saw them before they were removed. It is good to see people taking piracy seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: randomblame

randomblame

Recognized Developer
May 18, 2009
I'm not a noob by any means, but maybe I don't understand something....what is the difference between "nandroid" and simply backing up? I backed up my a500 with this recovery. Is there something else I want to do?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Lol maybe it does work then does restore work?

Last edited:

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
How hard would it be to get a port of twrp 2.0. (The best recovery ever!!!)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Post removed no more work planned I don't need the aggravation.
    Why does every thread need to become a vs thor thread? Can we just stfu about thor and move on with this new recovery?

I once again understand why no one wants to come here and develop for the a500.
    last time I checked CWM here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1126364

is "GPL" since it uses stock kernel...

but hell you can reinvent the wheel if you want...just stop stealing my scripts and sbin dir structure(we all get it you learned to unpack an img, no one will give you a cracker)
    I agree with what someone said before, let's stop off topics otherwise i will delete them.

Let's make clear something for who doesn't know what is GPL (General Public License), read here for many informations regardless.

This mean that recovery is not cover form GPL but ( randomblame do know that ) from Apache, source for CWM are in CyanogeMod and are made from Koush so, FYI, Thor didn't was forced to post his CWM source but only Kernel source, in fact the source that you find on first post it is ONLY for the kernel by blazingwolf.

The CWM present here it was grabbed from the dissected recovery.img by Thor, it was changed:

Code:
    else
    RECOVERY_NAME := Thor2002ro rev 1.3.4 -> [COLOR="Red"]GPL compliant recovery[/COLOR]
    endif

simply by opening it with an hex editor.

The main thing it is pretty easy to do:

extract recovery.img with yaffs and you will have the recovery folder with a lot of scripts, images and binary.

Open with an hex editor recovery located into sbin folder.

Change lines from 0009CD67 till 0009CD80 with any name of your choise and voilà, you will have your recovery with your name of choice lol

Change also icon_clockwork.png located in res/images with any of your choice.

Because the only custom recovery available for our a500s is in violation of the gpl I thought I'd put one together that is NOT.

False, as said recovery is not in violation of any rules.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a test version of cwm version 5 running on a kernel that actually has source code available. Source code is here: https://github.com/blazingwolf/Acer-A500-Stock-Kernel-with-touchscreen-fix-for-ICS Credit to blazingwolf for the kernel.

False, this is not the latest CWM version, the last one is 5.0.2.7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a test version - it is currently meant to replace thors recovery.img if it is already flashed on your device. Further testing is needed to validate a method of using it on stock devices.

false, this is Thor CWM and if it works fine than this will works too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    True, and you must give proper credits, i don't consider this as credits.

Thor has called on the moderators to ensure that he gets credit for this. He made the whole thing nessecary by breaking the rules in the first place but yes this is based on his work. THOR next time you want credit for something why don't you do it right yourself.

Since i am on the Iconia A500 moderators i kindly ask you to change your first post with the right words and thread title too, "GPL Compliant Recovery" is only hilarious.

@all, i hope this help to stop with all these posts garbage about Thor, GPL and whatever.

Thor was already punished to not post his Kernel source as far as many other developers.
    Ill have to dissect his older recovery and see exactly what kernel is in there I put this up under the impression that all of his recoveries were infringing because his latest sure as hell are. Also his kernel is not required for the overclock function blazings works fine in my testing. I give Thor mad credit for getting it working but had he not come along it would have happened regardless and there would be a much happier more productive dev community. He can still turn it all around and release source for his kernels but I don't agree with his methods or understand his need to protect his sacred work. Basically I got this device to have fun with not to argue about who did what and why. In the next few weeks I will be freely stealing **** with abandon customizing and sharing and if anyone wants to ***** about it you can shove it. The fun begins now I'm done playing the games. I'm here to share if others are here for other reasons they shouldn't share their work at all. We should all be working as a team to create awesomeness and if it is too much to ask for then ill just sell my a500 and get a device that I can enjoy working on.