Droid has been rooted!

Search This thread

JustinLoe

May 3, 2009
awesome! i'd expect you goons to have vanilla 2.0 ready for the mass sprint crowd by tomorrow right? lol isn't a dump all we'd need? pardon for my ignorance but what changes would be made to be compatible to the cdma hero?

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Excellent! Now we just need a full rom dump (not just the /system folder which is all that's available right now).

dchadwick

Jul 20, 2009
I was excited for droid users to find out it had been rooted. Now I am really excited because I didn't even think of the benefits it would bring to us! :D

NCX001

Feb 29, 2008
Missouri
So let me get this straight, a full dump from the Droid will help us get 2.0? If so AWESOME! I have a friend who has one, I'm sure he'll be rooting tonight I can get a dump tomorrow if you don't get one sooner.

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
So let me get this straight, a full dump from the Droid will help us get 2.0? If so AWESOME! I have a friend who has one, I'm sure he'll be rooting tonight I can get a dump tomorrow if you don't get one sooner.

It's more of a theory than anything. But if we can get their rom booting on our phone then we have a much better chance of getting things working rather than the gsm version we've been hacking up to try and work.

If anyone has access to a rooted droid then let me know. Although it will be much better once they have access to nandroid because pulling these files while the phone is booted up doesn't always work.

nelson8403

Dec 13, 2006
It's more of a theory than anything. But if we can get their rom booting on our phone then we have a much better chance of getting things working rather than the gsm version we've been hacking up to try and work.

If anyone has access to a rooted droid then let me know. Although it will be much better once they have access to nandroid because pulling these files while the phone is booted up doesn't always work.

I don't think that's true.. our kernel/drivers are way different than theirs.. we will be about the exact same point that we are now, and there are full rips out of the droid now on alldroid.org

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
I don't think that's true.. our kernel/drivers are way different than theirs.. we will be about the exact same point that we are now, and there are full rips out of the droid now on alldroid.org

I agree but it's a lot easier to make a trackball work, to make leds work, and to make wifi work rather than trying to make it work on a radio that it wasn't designed for.

The image that the guy posted on alldroid is corrupted. It won't unyaffs. And based on the file size I would say it's just a system dump anyways.

Thanks to whitewidow I was able to get my hands on the boot.img by copying it off of /dev/mtd. The build went smoothly however it reboots instantly after the HTC logo. It is never recognized by the debugger. So this is either caused by corruption from how we obtained the boot.img, or the architecture / processor are just too different to work on ours at all. I am not the type that can build kernels from scratch though so maybe someone out there better than me will get it soon. :)

quietcblongs

Nov 8, 2009
I agree but it's a lot easier to make a trackball work, to make leds work, and to make wifi work rather than trying to make it work on a radio that it wasn't designed for.

The image that the guy posted on alldroid is corrupted. It won't unyaffs. And based on the file size I would say it's just a system dump anyways.

Thanks to whitewidow I was able to get my hands on the boot.img by copying it off of /dev/mtd. The build went smoothly however it reboots instantly after the HTC logo. It is never recognized by the debugger. So this is either caused by corruption from how we obtained the boot.img, or the architecture / processor are just too different to work on ours at all. I am not the type that can build kernels from scratch though so maybe someone out there better than me will get it soon. :)

I'm pretty sure stuff compiled for the OMAP arch. Droid is not going to work in our Qualcomm arch. Heroes. I tried using "chat-ril" executable from Droid on my Hero and that doesn't work at all. OMAP and MSM have their own kernel trees as well, so their kernel probably won't boot on the Hero.

packetlss

Aug 10, 2009
It's OMAP alright.

You wont get any of the normal binaries to run.

You can however grab some apks from it.

There is a dump out already btw, has been for almost a month now.

packetlss

Aug 10, 2009
Boot image contains nothing useful for our purposes.

If you absolutely have to have the boot image someone posted it over on alldroid.org.

dying4004

Oct 15, 2009
is it possible to get the new lockscreen from newly updated droid as verizon has spreaded 2.01 update for droid? cheers