[Q] App/Tweak to force reboot

Search This thread

Dovetail

May 27, 2014
Hi, I'm new to this whole android thing. I got a Kindle Fire HD 7" it's rooted with SuperSU and Google Play store on it successfully!

My main issue is it seems many tweaks like a reboot after installation, but my power button is completely missing. I can plug the device in to turn it on, and open/close the cover to put it to sleep.

Are there any tweaks around where I can like slide to power down, or force reboot how you would if you were to press the power button?

Alternately, I'd also like to remove the ad lock screens and potentially install a live wallpaper on either the lock screen or the home page. And maybe have an actual android grid set up. I know you need a secondary launcher to do this kind of thing, but all the ones I looked at screamed brick, and I got a bit worried. Could anyone point me at some basic tutorials? (I've jailbroken my Ipad rather extensively, but this seems to be a bit more in-depth to the actual operating system)

ETA: I haven't Used QMenu Just the ABD Drivers and the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
If this is the 2012 model with a camera you can flash cm 11 on it and use maromi's kernel, it has double tap to wake, and cm also has double tap corner to sleep.

There are apps in the Google play store for rebooting methods that I believe allow for reboot normally as well as to fastboot and recovery, I know CM's built in power menu has those option if you enable them, but then there's the issue of getting to them with a broken power button.
Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dovetail

Dovetail

May 27, 2014
It is the 2012, it has the camera with the clear slider to unlock.

I installed Nova Launcher off the G-play store, but yet again something needs to be rebooted! Hmph.

I'd love if you have any links to those store based power options, or to the CM 11 (is that a launcher also? what does "Flash" mean exactly? I've seen it around. ) The power button issue sucks, but I can't complain since it was a free gift!

I guess I can just run the battery down to reboot, but that is such a pain.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX

I installed Nova Launcher off the G-play store, but yet again something needs to be rebooted! Hmph.

I'd love if you have any links to those store based power options, or to the CM 11 (is that a launcher also? what does "Flash" mean exactly? I've seen it around. ) The power button issue sucks, but I can't complain since it was a free gift!

hehe wow this is a first, ok cm 11 is cyanogen mod 11. its a rom you can flash instead of amazon's original os, it is way faster and more up to date and is more like pure android. Flash basically means we are overwriting the system files and such that came with the device. It can have any launcher, set wallpaper, is already rooted and has alot of cool things like themes and performance options you can set, much better than stock amazon os. You seem quite new to the concept of flashing a rom though so i advise you to read the tutorial thouroughly and as long as you don't mess up you shouldnt need a fastboot adapter even though its always advised to have one anyways. Heres a link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

Let me give you some advice so you don't end up with a red screen brick. Make sure when you follow this that when you see the red text at the top of fireflash(you will understand this when you start this part) that you check that box off thats either to the side or above the red text, this is a vital step you must follow or you will need a fastboot adapter to fix. I also recommend grabbing the cm rom and its corresponding gapps ahead of time.

Feel free to ask questions.

Also if you install a launcher on amazon os you will need root and you must copy and paste the app into the system folder and set the permission to a certain way or it will bootloop. I think titanium backup has a convert to system app button that does it for you. Wallpaper doesnt defaultly work without my fix either.

Last edited:

Dovetail

May 27, 2014

Thank you so much for being patient with me!

I had been doing the app thing, but it seems like such a pain to do that with every app. I removed the installer, it wasn't doing much of what I was wanting anyways, the CM11 sounds much more like what I'm wanting to get to.

I'll give the tutorial a good read through and update this post with any questions I have!

Question 1: "commonly associated .... higher without first flashing the Amazon OS 7.2.3 bootloader" With flashing the cm11 do I need to (or do you recommend I) first restore or go back to the 7.2.3 or can I continue with 7.4.8? I will obviously be making backups as it seems that's the only way to recover with a standard usb cable.
Question 1A: If you are NOT on the 7.2.3 bootloader (you'll see red letters warning you), then hit the check box next to that to flash the 7.2.3 bootloader, otherwise you'll see a red screen after you reboot. If you don't see that warning, you're fine, move on. Is this the box you mentioned? It seems like this saves the hassle of going to 2.3 THEN flashing.

Question 2: "Alternatively, you can use this if the first method failed: Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry," I used this method in the first place. I had some issues with the ABD drivers not being recognized but got them working when I used amazon's direct ones. Furthermore, when I did get rooted (I used an app to check that it was and since nova worked I assume it was correct) superuser wasn't installed. I went and installed superSU manually. will this be an issue? (things have asked for and been granted permission and show as such in the superSU app)

Question 3: I'm using my work computer which runs through a server. when I go to back up through cmd it says the folder will be in C: and to then transfer it. The server shouldn't matter, right? I guess I can always just do a search for the file name and it'll turn up somewhere.

Question 4: Once you have the .zip files for the ROMs with GApps (Google apps, like Play Store), place them on the sdcard, and turn off the device. Turn it on, hold Volume-Up before the logo turns blue, and enter TWRP I did find an app called "reboot" which allows me to reboot (shocking!) without the power button. Can I still use that app at this point?
Question 4A: Once there, immediately do two things: make a backup, and after that, wipes: system, factory reset, cache, and Dalvik cache.After it finishes, go ahead and again, wipe cache and Dalvik cache, then reboot This section calles to wipe some sections, will this also wipe my apps? it calls later on to reboot again. If the first bit wipes the apps, then I wouldn't be able to reboot at this point. (aside of waiting for the battery to die)

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Answer 1: you don't actually need to downgrade the os, as long as the bootloader gets downgraded it is fine. So yes that was the checkbox I meant, believe it or not people have missed seeing it before because of the red text around it.
Answer 2: I think it will be fine, though I'm surprised you could root it with Amazon's drivers, theirs were kinda crappy.
Answer 3: I think this is OK, not sure how your setup is exactly. I don't see network issues being a problem.
Answer 4: you can still use the app. As to the wiping, yes you will lose all your apps, it is required to do the equivalent of a factory reset in twrp when coming from amazon os as the system apps leave some data left behind that causes cm to malfunction. You can install anything you had again from the play store or manually if you had apk's lying around. You can backup app data for games and such with titanium backup and restore it once you reinstall titanium backup in cm.

Dovetail

May 27, 2014
Answer 1: you don't actually need to downgrade the os, as long as the bootloader gets downgraded it is fine. So yes that was the checkbox I meant, believe it or not people have missed seeing it before because of the red text around it.
Answer 2: I think it will be fine, though I'm surprised you could root it with Amazon's drivers, theirs were kinda crappy.
Answer 3: I think this is OK, not sure how your setup is exactly. I don't see network issues being a problem.
Answer 4: you can still use the app. As to the wiping, yes you will lose all your apps, it is required to do the equivalent of a factory reset in twrp when coming from amazon os as the system apps leave some data left behind that causes cm to malfunction. You can install anything you had again from the play store or manually if you had apk's lying around. You can backup app data for games and such with titanium backup and restore it once you reinstall titanium backup in cm.

Thank you so much again! I'm excited! I'll let ya know how it goes.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Sweet and I thought I'd mention if you get confused on what cm 11 build to download, the unofficial builds are a little bit more dated now that the device is a officially supported cm device, I recommend the link that isn't under mirrors that goes to cyanogenmod's Tate download page. The URL has those 3 words in it so you will know it when you see it. The m6 release is the stable release I recommend download instead of a nightly, I think m7 should be out soon, the cool thing is whenever a update is available it can ota like a phone, I believe it will make you choose to install the update though. I was impressed by how it updates, just seemed cool to watch. Not positive if cm's updater notifies you when updates are available though.

Dovetail

May 27, 2014
The m6 release is the stable release I recommend download instead of a nightly, I think m7 should be out soon

Firstly, when I go to back up through the command prompt I get this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\admnasst>adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot
0block.img"
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Am I missing some step? I do have ABD enabled on the kindle.

Secondly, on this site: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=tate

am I wanting the download second from the bottom that says "snapshot" and ends with m6-tate
I would figure so, but I wanted to double check.

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Yes that the right file, as to that command not being recognized it is because it expects you to have a copy of that command handy and in the directory the command prompt is cd'd into. For instance download my wallpaper fix in my signature and extract it, then shift + right click the folder and hit open new command window here, then try the command again.

I have and by itself laying around on a thread I made here on the forum but this works just as well.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Dovetail

May 27, 2014
Yes that the right file, as to that command not being recognized it is because it expects you to have a copy of that command handy and in the directory the command prompt is cd'd into. For instance download my wallpaper fix in my signature and extract it, then shift + right click the folder and hit open new command window here, then try the command again.

I have and by itself laying around on a thread I made here on the forum but this works just as well.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

I ran the first line and it started. I'm going to do everything tomorrow when I have more time. I'll keep you updated! Thank you again for helping me, and being so welcoming.

Ph0enix_216

ROM toolbox has a quick-reboot option that is similar to respringing iOS, and it well let you create a launcher shortcut on your home screen.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is the 2012 model with a camera you can flash cm 11 on it and use maromi's kernel, it has double tap to wake, and cm also has double tap corner to sleep.

There are apps in the Google play store for rebooting methods that I believe allow for reboot normally as well as to fastboot and recovery, I know CM's built in power menu has those option if you enable them, but then there's the issue of getting to them with a broken power button.

hehe wow this is a first, ok cm 11 is cyanogen mod 11. its a rom you can flash instead of amazon's original os, it is way faster and more up to date and is more like pure android. Flash basically means we are overwriting the system files and such that came with the device. It can have any launcher, set wallpaper, is already rooted and has alot of cool things like themes and performance options you can set, much better than stock amazon os. You seem quite new to the concept of flashing a rom though so i advise you to read the tutorial thouroughly and as long as you don't mess up you shouldnt need a fastboot adapter even though its always advised to have one anyways. Heres a link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

Let me give you some advice so you don't end up with a red screen brick. Make sure when you follow this that when you see the red text at the top of fireflash(you will understand this when you start this part) that you check that box off thats either to the side or above the red text, this is a vital step you must follow or you will need a fastboot adapter to fix. I also recommend grabbing the cm rom and its corresponding gapps ahead of time.

Also if you install a launcher on amazon os you will need root and you must copy and paste the app into the system folder and set the permission to a certain way or it will bootloop. I think titanium backup has a convert to system app button that does it for you. Wallpaper doesnt defaultly work without my fix either.

Sweet and I thought I'd mention if you get confused on what cm 11 build to download, the unofficial builds are a little bit more dated now that the device is a officially supported cm device, I recommend the link that isn't under mirrors that goes to cyanogenmod's Tate download page. The URL has those 3 words in it so you will know it when you see it. The m6 release is the stable release I recommend download instead of a nightly, I think m7 should be out soon, the cool thing is whenever a update is available it can ota like a phone, I believe it will make you choose to install the update though. I was impressed by how it updates, just seemed cool to watch. Not positive if cm's updater notifies you when updates are available though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot this was my favorite reboot app and it works well although I see your doing the custom ROM thing now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app